Can I drink a quart of milk a day to gain weight muscle and bulk

Options
A quart of milk gives me 600 calories and 32 grams of protein. Can I drink it to help me reach my calorie intake or is it unhealthy. I am only 150 pounds and am two weeks into steonglifts, all compound exercises

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    If you want....sure, but I'd rather eat my calories lol. But for those having trouble getting in solid calories, liquids are always easy. But why not just make a shake using peanut butter, oats, a banana, maybe some protein powder, and that milk? A lot more calories and tastier!(: you'll also get a good amount of carbs, fats, and proteins.
  • PhilP0wer
    PhilP0wer Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    throw greek yogurt into the mix. You'll hit your protein goals a lot faster. Plus it's more interesting than just chugging milk!
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Yes. Add chocolate too increase cals.
  • NikaBlake
    NikaBlake Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I heard about this and I loooove milk but also questioned whether it was good particularly good for you
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I mix my protein powder with full cream milk and add some flavouring. Nothing wrong with milk
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    jpm553 wrote: »
    Can I drink it to help me reach my calorie intake or is it unhealthy.

You're referring to Stronglifts' GOMAD idea? (Gallon Of Milk A Day)

Yeah, it's fine, as a pretty cheap way to get decent macros and calories.

The main metric to mind though, IMO, should be eating at whatever percentage above your TDEE. If you think in those terms you'll understand your nutrition better and be more flexible. Instead of dogmatically bumbling around with your milk (and hanging out on the toilet?) every day, not knowing why.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    IIFYM!
  • NikaBlake
    Options
    Oops there was more to my post, not sure what happened to it
  • NikaBlake
    Options
    It won't continue with my question! So weird. What is a 'quart'?
  • NikaBlake
    Options
    Please feel free to delete my useless comments now my question has been posted lol. We go by pints or millilitres here in the UK. :)
  • rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I like milk right after my workout (heavy weights). Actually, chocolate milk. I think it's a good way to get the carbs and protein you need to replenish muscle glycogen and begin to repair muscles. You can add protein and other supplements to the milk or chocolate milk in a shaker cup. Basically I'm saying milk is good as a foundation (water replacement) for your post workout drink. Although if I am cutting, I do prefer to eat my calories and will use water. But if putting on muscle mass is my main goal, milk is my basis for post workout drink.