2 questions: Probiotics? & Protein Levels?

Options
Is anyone using probiotics as a general routine? Not for diet purposes but just in general. Any recommendations?

Second question, I read or saw somewhere that you should only have 7-9g of sugar intake a day. Did i see that right? Man, an apple is 15-20g of sugar all by itself.

Replies

• sanegec
    sanegec Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Maybe it said teaspoons not grams
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Is your second question about protein levels or sugar?

Daily recommendations for sugar are 7-9 teaspoons (100 -150 grams more or less - spending on weight or sex...) but there is no real need to track sugars specifically (outside of a few illnesses) IF you are tracking calories, meeting your protein and fat macros AND eating a varied diet focused on whole foods and rich on vegetables and fruit.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Yes teaspoons not grams. Probiotics sometimes not daily. Non fat Greek Yogurt.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Really shouldn't have ANY sugar, but oh well....
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    sanegec wrote: »
    Is anyone using probiotics as a general routine? Not for diet purposes but just in general. Any recommendations?

Second question, I read or saw somewhere that you should only have 7-9g of sugar intake a day. Did i see that right? Man, an apple is 15-20g of sugar all by itself.

90 grams of sugar is the UK RDI which would be 20 "teaspoons" FWIW. MFP has a 15% of cals guideline which is at least 45g.

Pre & probiotics most days with 10% fat Greek yoghurt and fibre from veg too.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

Daily recommendations for sugar are 7-9 teaspoons (100 -150 grams more or less - spending on weight or sex...) but there is no real need to track sugars specifically (outside of a few illnesses) IF you are tracking calories, meeting your protein and fat macros AND eating a varied diet focused on whole foods and rich on vegetables and fruit.

if you are referring to the AHA sugar recommendation, 100-150 aren't grams, but calories:
    http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyEating/Sugar-101_UCM_306024_Article.jsp#.VjdX0rcvfIU
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

if you are referring to the AHA sugar recommendation, 100-150 aren't grams, but calories:
    http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyEating/Sugar-101_UCM_306024_Article.jsp#.VjdX0rcvfIU

ah,btw, this seems to be the original statement:
    http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/120/11/1011.full.pdf
    guess who is one of the authors :smile:
  • yogacat13
    yogacat13 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I use BioKult probiotics regularly. And the sugar recommendation is for "added" sugar, not sugar from fresh whole foods like fruit and veg.
  • film_anna
    film_anna Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi I get my probiotics by fermenting things. I found a great book, new on the market in the UK, called Fermented Foods for Vitality and Health by Dunja Gulin 15 pounds at Waterstones. I do the most basic ones- the veges in brine and I love the onions in miso (even my children, 11 yrs and 6 yrs, eat those as they like Japanese.) Good luck. My doctor in Switzerland told me that recent research by Big Pharma there believes that bioflora is the second brain of the body- that we live in a symbiotic relationship with the bacteria inside us (good bacteria, obviously) and that it is cruical for our brain health as well. This got me cracking!
  • film_anna
    Options
    Also, re sugars- the body absorbs fructose from fruit differently if eaten with the fibre. So apples appear to have this high rating but infact the body slowly releases that energy and they prevent sugar cravings. Much better to eat whole than ever to juice them.
  • film_anna
    Options
    Try to eat bitter vegetables like watercress when possible as so many are genetically fiddled with to taste sweeter now- and that something in the bitterness is very important for our bodies. Read this is in the Times about 2 weeks ago. Makes sense. Even the radishes aren't as tart any more, apparently.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

ah,btw, this seems to be the original statement:
    http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/120/11/1011.full.pdf
    guess who is one of the authors :smile:

Whoops! Correct. 100-150 cals of added sugar.
    And lol, on the author.

(guess who doesn't track sugar... ;) )
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I'm confused, sugar or protein?