Want to Double my Distance in 5 months ?

Options
Hello All,

I'm currently regularly running around 5k between at around a pace of 10-12 minutes a mile depending on the day.

I have my eye on the Great Birmingham 10k on 1 May 2016 and was wondering if this was an achievable goal - i.e. 5 months to double my distance?

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Replies

• Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    It's definitely achievable, there are several programs which train you to progress from 5k to 10k, usually running 3/4 times a week so that sounds like it would suit you. Or you can pick up a 10k trainer program and might be able to skip the first few weeks if you can already do 5k comfortably. Generally they'll have you covering the 10k distance but with intervals of walk/running, this conditions your body to the longer run which will develop your stamina for the greater distance. You'd gradually lengthen the running intervals and eventually drop the walking part so you can run the full 10k.

If you're running your whole 5k it does feel a bit of a backward step to walk during your run - but it works and is generally accepted to be a proven method of progressing your running. I'm a new runner and was amazed I could run 10k (I'm doing my first race in February), I'm SURE you can do it - in fact by May you'll probably be thinking about your first HM :smiley:
  • Jokersurv
    Jokersurv Posts: 75 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    There is an app from zen labs that will get you there in 8 weeks called 10k i do believe
  • PeterJX
    PeterJX Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Stew Smith, an ex Navy SEAL has a lot of good stuff, (for free), on his website. Here's one that takes you from 5k to 10k: It's the second one - Running Plan II - Intermediate Runners.

http://www.stewsmith.com/linkpages/ALLrunningplans.htm
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Jokersurv wrote: »
    There is an app from zen labs that will get you there in 8 weeks called 10k i do believe

I used it and liked it :)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Your goal is more than achievable. In fact, you may be surprised to find yourself ready for a half marathon in that amount of time. As others have said, there are plenty of plans out there. But if you do not like the idea of following a training plan, I would say just pick one day a week and add a quarter to a half mile to your run. Do this for two weeks, then repeat one week, until you are up to 10K. I am assuming you are running at least 3 days per week? That's probably the minimum you want to do. The key to gaining endurance is by running more (slow, conversation pace) miles.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    parfia wrote: »
    Hello All,

I'm currently regularly running around 5k between at around a pace of 10-12 minutes a mile depending on the day.

I have my eye on the Great Birmingham 10k on 1 May 2016 and was wondering if this was an achievable goal - i.e. 5 months to double my distance?

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Bridge to 10K is 8 weeks long.

In 5 months you could work up to Half Marathon.

Personally I would come up with a plan that has about 15Km for the long run which should give you the capacity for a creditable 10K time.
  • Nicole3043
    Nicole3043 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Here are some tips to build your endurance and boost your cadence. You definitely can do this by May. Best of luck to you!!

http://www.therunnersmark.com/3-ways-to-build-running-endurance/
    http://www.therunnersmark.com/how-to-boost-your-cadence/
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Just an anecdote, I know, but I just went from running 5Ks at 10 min/mile at the end of September to a 16K long run (same pace) this weekend by following a half-marathon training program. It is definitely, definitely doable with 5 times as long to do it in!