Maintenance Calories and Anorexia

Options
Hi, I'm Brian. I've just started the early stages of recovery from anorexia and need to gain weight as if l lose anymore a could be putting my life in danger. I'm male. 19, 5ft 11 and weigh 8st 7 or 119 pounds. I just wanted to know the healthiest way to gain weight and how accurate are the maintenance calories on this? Does anyone have any idea what I would need to eat if I'm sedentary, then I just add whatever exercise a do in. Also if use have any healthy filling recipes that would be a great help. Thanks so much

Replies

• KeepGood
    KeepGood Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Hi Brian. I'm 5'11 too, a short while ago I was 9st 7lb (now 12st 1lb). Glad to see you are looking to gain :smile:

As far as maintenance calories go, you'll need to play around a bit, everyone is a bit different. Calorie calculators usually give me numbers in the range of 2300 to 2600 for maintenance, but in reality it's higher than that and my body refuses to start gaining unless I'm consistently hitting a minimum of 3200 to 3500.

Look into calorie dense foods. Avocados, nuts and nut butters and whole milk are good places to start. You'll need to give yourself a good range of food. Get a good supply of veg in there for the vitamins and minerals. Plenty of protein for your muscles. A bit of everything really, your body will put it all to good use. :smile:

It can be really hard to get used to consuming so many calories, it feels like never ending eating sometimes but you do get used to it over time (keep that in mind when it feels like a struggle). Drinking your calories can be a lot easier (I know it is for me). Work up the amount you consume over time.

I'd imagine at your weight you will be feeling pretty weak (I know I was at 9 1/2st) but you CAN turn that around. It will take a bit of time and a bit of hard work but you'll get there. Don't be afraid of the high numbers with the calories, you are a big guy, you'll need it. Putting weight on doesn't happen overnight, you have plenty of time to play with the numbers to find out what your maintenance is.

As a start, work on getting as much nutrition as you can, your body is a machine that needs fuel. You'll start feel your energy coming back in no time. Once you are on the road to having the nutrition sorted, have a chat with your doctor about exercise, they'll be able to let you know when you are ready to give your muscles some work.

As much as consuming so many calories can seem like a task, it doesn't always have to be difficult. Earlier today I made a shake that was...

30g Vanilla Whey Protein Powder
    50g Ultra Fine Oats
    125g Peanut Butter
    450ml Whole Milk

Total = 1326 calories :smile:

With just one of those each day along with average meals would get your calories back up to where they need to be.

Good luck with your recovery! Feel free to add me, I'll happily share what I've been doing to increase my weight. :smile:
  • dn0pes
    dn0pes Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes help me with my maintenance as well. The shakes are easily consumed and I can adjust the calories without much effort. The previously mentioned ingredients are close to what I use:

66g Body Fortress - Super Whey Advanced Protein Chocolate Peanut Butter
    1 Whole Banana
    64g Laura Scudders - Old Fashioned Peanut Butter
    240ml Whole Milk
    1 cup Homemade whole milk yogurt
    1/2 cup homemade granola.
    and 6 ice cubes
  • BrianOconnor1
    BrianOconnor1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help. What should I set my macros at? Like % wise a mean? A have no idea new to this stuff
  • cybeast
    cybeast Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good morning Brian, I am 53 years old and stand 5'11. I am proud to say that I am up to 104 lbs as of this morning, I am gaining about a pound a week. Everyone's system and food likes are different, with this in mind here are a couple of suggestions that I have found that has help me: Find a eating and workout routine that fits into your daily schedule. Avoid workouts that get the heart pumping fast, they burn the much need calories. Concentrate on foods that you like with high calories from protein and carbs.
    Here is an example of my day:

7:30a (5 set of 10) push-up or squats with a minute rest between each set followed by a high protein food (10-15g) with a average of 300-500 calories.

9:00a breakfast averaging between 300-500 calories

11:30a (5 set of 10) chest presses with weights or Lunges with the rest between sets and high protein afterwards.

1:00p lunch between 300-500 calories

3:30p (5 set of 10) Tricep Dips or Dead lifts with weights with rest between sets and high protein afterwards.

5:00p Supper between 500-700 calories

8:00p Snack between 300-500 calories

My goal is to average 2700 calories a day.

GOOD LUCK
  • BrianOconnor1
    BrianOconnor1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help, much appreciated