Why do my toes fall asleep on the elipicle?

Options
Am I doing something wrong?
:-/

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Have you considered new shoes? Mine do that when I need new sneakers. :)
  • JustaJoe00
    JustaJoe00 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I tend to be a wise guy and am resisting it here...but do you have any ankle or leg issues otherwise? Wondering also if it might be the way you carry your weight on your feet...hmmm

poke...just making sure the rest of you is awake....:)....had to...sorry...
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    are you lacing too tight?
  • jcorvett007
    jcorvett007 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    That happens to me too, I finally figured out it was from my shoes being tied to tight.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    :raising hand:

Here too. I've noticed that when I allow myself to "sit" back more on my heels, this doesn't happen. It is usually just my big toe on my left foot that likes to fall asleep. The rest of my toes keep up with me ;)
  • rtp_slg52181
    rtp_slg52181 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    There are many ways to lace your shoes. I found I needed to lace the toes tight and keep the arch looser than tight again at the ankle. I tend to have a low arch or "flat footed". Also are you rolling off your little toe or your big toe? Maybe try staying on the ball of your feet the whole time?

Look into lacing for foot type or activity.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    The right side of my right foot falls asleep. That is because I have ankle atrophy, and it doesn't move like it's supposed to. That would lead me to think that you are not moving your feet properly, i.e. pronating or supinating.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I get it if my shoelaces are too tight. Only on the elliptical. Always thought it was just me until I came here. Over the last few months there have been several threads in this and usually the consensus is its laces and the elliptical. As another poster said there are other ways to lace - you can google that
  • Farrah_FBG
    Farrah_FBG Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My shoes are only 2 months old so I doubt it's that. I will loosen the laces and see how that does me.
    I do have ankle problems, actually. Hyper flexible is, if I remember correctly what my last PT told me.
    I think I will try and make sure I'm not doing the pronation or supination.
    Also, I found this online:
    https://www.lifefitness.com/blog/posts/the-ellipticals-1-enemy-numb-toe.html

Next time I'll also start pedaling backwards for 2 min then forward 10 min...repeat.

Thank you all for your helpful replies. :)
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    Fay_M wrote: »
    My shoes are only 2 months old so I doubt it's that. I will loosen the laces and see how that does me.
    I do have ankle problems
    , actually. Hyper flexible is, if I remember correctly what my last PT told me.
    I think I will try and make sure I'm not doing the pronation or supination.
    Also, I found this online:
    https://www.lifefitness.com/blog/posts/the-ellipticals-1-enemy-numb-toe.html

Next time I'll also start pedaling backwards for 2 min then forward 10 min...repeat.

Thank you all for your helpful replies. :)

Yes, loosen the laces a bit, but specifically in the toe box area. Tighten them a bit more when you get closer to your ankle. In my experience this has helped and I, too, have ankle issues.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    In addition to loosening laces try reversing the direction (if your elliptical will allow it) at intervals. 4 mins forward, 1 min backwards for example. That also subtly changes the muscle focus.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Mine do too! But I've got foot issues. Well actually. Achilles tendon issues.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    This has been discussed several times if you want to do a search.

Try toe crunches with every step. Or lift the foot off the pedal. Release the constant tension.
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I dont know if this is related to your problem but when I power walk for a long time, my finger tips on my hand get numb a little. I do crunches with my hand kind of like to get the blood circulating in order to prevent it from happened. Maybe this is similar to your feet and moving your toes around will help (as the previous poster stated).
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Mine get a numb feeling too but only the last 4 minutes or so on the eliptical.