Protein Intake on a Keto Diet / Keto vs. Paleo

Options
mommyshortlegs
mommyshortlegs Posts: 402 Member
edited October 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Keto newbie here — as in, a sugar-free, typically veg, dairy, meat, occasional oatmeal eater who the past 6 mos. went rogue stress baking and eating, currently on Day 2 of a ketogenic/Atkins Fat Fast* in hopes of kickstarting a ~30 lb. weight loss (do the crime, pay the time).

My current approach is 5 days of ~80-90% fat (I'm averaging closer to 80%) within ~1,000 calories (purposefully low for a limited time). My difficulty thus far hasn't been in consuming adequate amounts of fat but rather in keeping my protein low, which prompts me to wonder how keto dieters generally function with a breakdown of 60-75% fat, 20% protein, and 5% carbs when one could easily exhaust the daily protein allotment just enjoying meat, eggs, and cheese at most meals. What's the trick to staying within these percentages? Or am I confusing Keto with Paleo?

*http://www.carbsmart.com/fatfast.html, http://www.ruled.me/using-fat-fasting-technique/

Replies

• BlendaBrenda
    BlendaBrenda Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Most of us eat more than 1000 calories so it's easy to have eggs, meat, cheese and not have too much protein % wise.
  • BlendaBrenda
    BlendaBrenda Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Oh, and eat fattier meat cuts, full fat cheeses, and whole eggs vs egg whites.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yeh, you need to cut down on meats to reduce protein, and replace with a couple tablespoons MCT OIL and maybe a tablespoon macadamia nut oil, or kerrygold grass-fed butter. Oils can be added to coffee or other drinks
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Yes. Eggs with yolks are good, as are fatty meats (like ground beef - not lean), seafood, cheeses, butter, oils to cook in, pork rinds, nuts, cream and coconut. Oh, and bulletproof coffee and bacon. ;)

To be honest, I eat about 1500 calories per day and I have to work to get my protein up over 20%.
  • Lgard77
    Lgard77 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    What's keto? as in ketosis?
  • mommyshortlegs
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I plotted out a mock day* (more akin to my typical eating) of 2 coconut oil-fried whole eggs with spinach; green salad of romaine, 1 strip thick-sliced bacon, homemade mayonnaise, and apple cider vinegar (to keep the net carbs at bay I eliminated the tomato I would typically add); and 6 oz. blackened salmon fried in butter, and already I am over my protein grams (set to 20%) without even mentioning snacks. *sigh* What would I do differently?

*http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/mommyshortlegs?date=2015-10-25
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Lgard77 wrote: »
    What's keto? as in ketosis?

Yes.
    I plotted out a mock day* (more akin to my typical eating) of 2 coconut oil-fried whole eggs with spinach; green salad of romaine, 1 strip thick-sliced bacon, homemade mayonnaise, and apple cider vinegar (to keep the net carbs at bay I eliminated the tomato I would typically add); and 6 oz. blackened salmon fried in butter, and already I am over my protein grams (set to 20%) without even mentioning snacks. *sigh* What would I do differently?

*http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/mommyshortlegs?date=2015-10-25

It looks good. Just up your fat a bit. Instead of 1/3 Tbs of coconut oil or butter, use the entire Tbs. Or add cheese to your eggs. Perhaps skip the egg and just eat the bacon. Maybe try macadamia nuts for a snack.

I looked up at lower calorie day for me and found this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary?date=2015-08-30 My fat was about 78g and my protein was 68g, but I used protein powder to raise it. My meats were much fattier than what you have chosen. Beef and sausages. I usually skip breakfast in favour of BPC (more fat and less effort).

I think you just need to tweak your meats and fat a bit and you will be there.
  • dcshima
    dcshima Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Nothing against Keto'ers, but have you looked in IIFYM (If it fits your macros)? I have struggled with my weight my whole life, IIFYM has worked for me to lose 40 lbs in just under 4 months (1800 calories, 40% protein, 35% fats, 25% carbs based on my goal weight of 160 lbs for 5'7" Female).
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    dcshima wrote: »
    Nothing against Keto'ers, but have you looked in IIFYM (If it fits your macros)? I have struggled with my weight my whole life, IIFYM has worked for me to lose 40 lbs in just under 4 months (1800 calories, 40% protein, 35% fats, 25% carbs based on my goal weight of 160 lbs for 5'7" Female).

That might be a good idea if keto isn't something you enjoy or want to do long term. It always seems smart to start in a way that you can continue for the long term.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating so low-cal?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Your diary shows 95 grams of protein. That is a good amount.
  • LadyDaria
    LadyDaria Posts: 6 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    There is no clear definition of paleo now. some go high carb with nuts and fruit and some eat cheese ugh and beans, which is not paleo. I am going lower in carbs for my macros and want to let go of cheese. Cheese is not paleo like I said nor is dairy in general or beans. Now fruit is not keto but is paleo of course. I am not eating much if any fruit but do rice or sweet potato once in awhile in small amounts. Are any other ladies eating this way? Oh only bulletproof coffee in the morning til 1:30 pm. There is primal also. lol confusing at first I know. :) I want to be a keto paleo eater. so that is low carbs paleo who eats bulletproof. As far as my protein, no food in the morning and only do about 4 or 5 oz at each meal. nothing crazy like the old Atkins or other low carb programs.
  • mommyshortlegs
    Options
    Thank you for your insight, everyone. Currently I am on a second round of a short-term ketogenic diet, but I did try a few days with macros of 20% carbs, 50% fat, 30% protein and this seemed more doable for me, especially catering to my propensity for meat and dairy. If I had to label by pre-stress gain eating style, as I understand the term, Primal would fit closest; but I've never attempted a Primal diet without also eating low calorie, so I don't know how my body would react eating Primal at maintenance level.

*sigh* Often I wish my body came with tailored instructions. :p
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Keto = very low carb (generally 50g of less depending on the person)
    Paleo = wide range of carb but limit foods based on perceived idea of eating like a caveman (although, they don't say which specific type)

Honestly, keto will not kick start weight loss (a calorie deficit will). And any diet that you can sustain a deficit will do that. If you like a reduction in carbs to increase fats and protein for satiety, go at it, but realize that as you incorporate more carbs later on that your glycogen store will replenish and you will gain some water weight.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Achieving a ketogenic state gives a weight loss 'cos to get into ketosis you have to deplete glycogen somewhat and that in itself involves a weight loss.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Achieving a ketogenic state gives a weight loss 'cos to get into ketosis you have to deplete glycogen somewhat and that in itself involves a weight loss.

Oh yes because everyones ultimate goal is to lose water weight..
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Would never start a fat fast at the beginning of a diet!! It is Meant to do in a stall period after already being in ketosis. You are going to feel like crap I'm sure by doing this. Then only thing I think you need to add to ur day that you've listed is bullet proof coffee this will up fats keep you fuller longer and in term you won't need so much protein