should I stop running? :'(

Options
I love running, I used to run 6 miles or a little more in an hour I did that for months then I stop for like 4 months. and last week I bought a treadmill first day I run two miles in the morning and two miles before bed, the next day I noticed my thighs a little swollen so I rest that day. Then the next day I did almost five miles I felt my knee was uncomfortable while I was running but I did no stop. And right away started to see my knee getting swollen and I could here noise of my knee (like bones) when I bend it. I love running this morning I thought on running but then I look at my knee and still swell and im afraid to put my weight on hurt knee so when I walk I try to put the less weight I can on that knee. Please give some advice thank you

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you should stop using the treadmill. You should take a break from running until you heal or you'll end up with something worse and have to take a long time off.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    If you have swollen body parts or pain when you're running then stop! You're done till it gets better. Nothing wrong with sore muscles but joints and tendons that are not acting proper need to be addressed.

Ease back into the running when it's better. It won't take you too long to get back to where you were.

ETA: I also pay attention to things that are sore on one side but not on the other. Your soreness should be equal on both sides or something is probably wrong.
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    Also the answer is "No". You should never STOP running. Just takes breaks as needed to recover. :smile:
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    It sounds like something is wrong with your gait on the treadmill. I would suggest resting your knee/body a bit and then restarting with shorter distances while you get used to running on it.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    When the pain stops, start with much shorter runs, and increase distance much slower.
  • FariasMomOf3
    FariasMomOf3 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for takin the time to give some advice. And yes its only my right knee, and I feel frustrated because I want to run but I cant :(
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for takin the time to give some advice. And yes its only my right knee, and I feel frustrated because I want to run but I cant :(

Yep. I'm right there with you. I fell on the concrete getting tangled up with someone else's dog and it's been almost a month now. Ribs are still a bit sore and the right knee is a tad "meh". I ran two days last week and it still hurt so more rest. Not running is the worst. I should be doing 30 - 40 mpw and I've only done 8 in the last month. Grrrrr!!!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    If your knee is swollen, you should ice it and rest it. Running on it before you are ready will only make it worse. In the meantime, it may be helpful to focus on strengthening your core. Yoga and pilates are great for this. Having a strong core goes a long way in helping runners to minimize injuries. And as others have said, if you haven't been running for 4 months, when you are ready to run again,you should probably start off with a little lower mileage. You can ramp it up relatively quickly, but easing into it is best.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    Ice for the knee swelling but the "bone noises" might warrant a trip to the doctor. Running is hard on your knees, I would suggest seeing a doctor and going off of what a professional says. Good luck.
  • FariasMomOf3
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

Yep. I'm right there with you. I fell on the concrete getting tangled up with someone else's dog and it's been almost a month now. Ribs are still a bit sore and the right knee is a tad "meh". I ran two days last week and it still hurt so more rest. Not running is the worst. I should be doing 30 - 40 mpw and I've only done 8 in the last month. Grrrrr!!!

Aaaah I see its stressful but what can we do just rest until we are ready rigHt not an easy thing uh when all we want is get back on track good luck ;)
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I am wondering if you are trying to do too much too soon. You took some time off. Going back to 5 miles right away, your body may not be used to going that much right now. You have to build it back up slowly.

Maybe run only 3 miles every other day for a week then slowly build a mile per week every other week or so.
    Offcourse if you have extreme pain, then stop and rest that day.

• FariasMomOf3
    Options
    Thanks a lot for all the advices :) I well put some ice on my hurt knee and let it rest until is ready to start again. I will start easy this time and I hope my knee takes good :/