My daily summary ..HELP!

Options
ok, I'm trying to understand this....bear with me, I'm a newbie in every sense of the word. lol
After logging all my foods and exercise it says this:

Calories Carbs Fat Protein
Totals 1136 147 36 60
Your Daily Goal 2595 356 86 97
Remaining 1459 209 50 37

My Daily summary says this:

Calories Remaining:1459
Goal:1200
Food: 1136
Exercise: -1395
Net: -256

If my remaining states i have 1459 calories to "eat" if i wanted why is my net-256??
if 3500= 1lb I'm trying to calculate how many calories I didn't use to match up with the weight (i'm weird, yes)
So, if I don't put anything else in my mouth tonight, is it 1459 or 256??? * sigh Does this even make sense??
Thanks in advance.

Replies

• kelceyjean12011
    kelceyjean12011 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    you burnt more calories in exercise than what you ate today
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options

Well said, I didn't even know where to start :smile:
  • jalapenos
    jalapenos Posts: 345 Member
    Options

I understand I burned more than I ate, I wasn't asking about that.
    Thanks anyway.
  • countrydarling1
    countrydarling1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    What i do is log in my meals through the day! Even when i exercise i wait til my food log is done, so that i know that i have met my food goal or hopefully under my goal for the day! then i put my exercise n to see how many calories i burned for the day, see how much calories have been cancled out. I hope this makes since. Im pretty new & it took me a few days to figure out what it was doin.
  • countrydarling1
    countrydarling1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options

I understand I burned more than I ate, I wasn't asking about that.
    Thanks anyway.
    [/quote]
    some reason this didnt come out as a quote from someone else, THIS IS A QUOTE! LOL! I COPIED!! :wink:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,998 Member
    Options
    ok, I'm trying to understand this....bear with me, I'm a newbie in every sense of the word. lol

Totals 1136 147 36 60
    Remaining 1459 209 50 37

If my remaining states i have 1459 calories to "eat" if i wanted why is my net-256??
    if 3500= 1lb I'm trying to calculate how many calories I didn't use to match up with the weight (i'm weird, yes)
    So, if I don't put anything else in my mouth tonight, is it 1459 or 256??? * sigh Does this even make sense??
    Thanks in advance.

You ate 1136 cals
    You exercised and burned 1459 calories doing that exercise.
    Your base goal was 1200 before you exercised.

THEREFORE:

By adding your base calories of (1200 + your exercise cals 1459) you are now given 2659 cals you need to eat today.

Since you only ate (minus) 1136 so far, that leaves 1395 calories LEFT to eat.

Base (1200+1459) - 1136 = 1395

Just eat until you have no calories left at the bottom on your Food Diary.

This is confusing to a lot of peeps.
  • tammyr76
    tammyr76 Posts: 174
    Options
    you need to be at 1200 on your net at the end of the day after exercise is taken out....
  • kajun_at_work
    kajun_at_work Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks in advance.

If you don't put anything else in your mouth tonight, it is not 1459 or 256, it is minus 256. Your Net Calories is equal to your total calories consumed minus the calories that you burned through exercise and it also a number that you want to be at least 1200 or you run the risk of derailing your weight loss.
  • cmriverside
    Options

.....No, she is at MINUS 256!! It should be at 1200.

That means she exercised into the negative!!! Really really bad.

That is what I said.
  • cmriverside
    Options

That is what I said.

That is what you said AFTER you edited!!
  • kajun_at_work
    kajun_at_work Posts: 60 Member
    Options

That is what I said.

That is what you said AFTER you edited!!
    I didn't edit anything. It would say I did on my posts if I did.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    What it means is that you need to eat more food! You need to net 1200 TOTAL. Yes, one pound is equal to 3500 calories, but you absolutely cannot eat a net of zero calories in a day! Your metabolism will slow to a stop and your body will cling on to fat!
  • hellokatee
    hellokatee Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    MyFitnessPal calculates your deficit (the number of calories you need to cut from your maintenance calories in order to lose weight) into your daily goal for you. When you eat, you are slowly working towards that goal of 1,200 calories throughout the day. BUT if you eat 1,200 calories and then exercise and burn 1,400 calories, that takes 1,400 OFF what you have eaten today, meaning that the calories left to fuel your body is actually at NEGATIVE 200 calories! You want your NET to be 1,200.

I'm assuming you have your goal set to lose 2 pounds per week. MFP probably assumes that to maintain your weight you need to eat about 2,200 calories. Your goal for each day is 1,000 less than maintenance, 7,000 less for the week. Thus 7,000 calories divided by 3,500 calories (the amount you need to cut to lose one pound) means you will lose 2 pounds a week!

Just make sure that net number gets up around 1,200. You will feel better and you will lose weight!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Yes, you definitly need to be eating more if you are exercising that much.

MFP looks at your age, height, weight, sex and activity level and estimates how many calories you need to get through the day and maintain your weight (doing stuff like, breathing, sleeping, digesting, walking around, doing your regular activities etc).
    Once you have this base number, it substracts calories to create a daily calorie deficit. If you say you want to lose 1 pound a week, it will subtract 500 calories per day. 7 days x 500 calories creates a 1 pound (3500 calorie) deficit per week. That's where your maths comes in!

If you are burning more calories than you are consuming, then you aren't providing any fuel (calories) for you body to run on for all your daily activities plus all that exercise. This means that you are creating a HUGE calorie deficit which is not going to be sustainable if you want to stay healthy and lose weight.
  • hellokatee
    Options

Totals 1136 147 36 60
    Remaining 1459 209 50 37

Thanks in advance.

I read your question again and thought I would actually answer it. You are under your goal by 1459, but you deficit is already calculated in for the day. So today you are probably at around a 2459 calorie deficit, which probably isn't very good for you! But that wasn't your question, was it??? :laugh:
  • jalapenos
    Options

Totals 1136 147 36 60
    Remaining 1459 209 50 37

Thanks in advance.

You ate 1136 cals
    You exercised and burned 1459 calories doing that exercise.
    Your base goal was 1200 before you exercised.

THEREFORE:

By adding your base calories of (1200 + your exercise cals 1459) you are now given 2659 cals you need to eat today.

Since you only ate (minus) 1136 so far, that leaves 1395 calories LEFT to eat.

Base (1200+1459) - 1136 = 1395

Just eat until you have no calories left at the bottom on your Food Diary.

This is confusing to a lot of peeps.

Thank you!! But I feel full and can't eat anymore..lol
  • jalapenos
    Options
    MyFitnessPal calculates your deficit (the number of calories you need to cut from your maintenance calories in order to lose weight) into your daily goal for you. When you eat, you are slowly working towards that goal of 1,200 calories throughout the day. BUT if you eat 1,200 calories and then exercise and burn 1,400 calories, that takes 1,400 OFF what you have eaten today, meaning that the calories left to fuel your body is actually at NEGATIVE 200 calories! You want your NET to be 1,200.

I'm assuming you have your goal set to lose 2 pounds per week. MFP probably assumes that to maintain your weight you need to eat about 2,200 calories. Your goal for each day is 1,000 less than maintenance, 7,000 less for the week. Thus 7,000 calories divided by 3,500 calories (the amount you need to cut to lose one pound) means you will lose 2 pounds a week!

Just make sure that net number gets up around 1,200. You will feel better and you will lose weight!
    Thanks for the breakdown!! :flowerforyou:
  • jalapenos
    Options

Totals 1136 147 36 60
    Remaining 1459 209 50 37

Thanks in advance.

I read your question again and thought I would actually answer it. You are under your goal by 1459, but you deficit is already calculated in for the day. So today you are probably at around a 2459 calorie deficit, which probably isn't very good for you! But that wasn't your question, was it??? :laugh:
    lol.. so if say the calories I'm suppose to eat according to MFP says 1000 for the day and I burn off 1500...I'm suppose to eat 2500 for the day??? now back in the day, eating some cake, twinkies and stuff could get me there but I don't know about now... I'm full as it is withe the 1100 i ate today! Oh geez! this is going to be a loooong journey!:sad:
  • hellokatee
    Options
    Try avocado, nuts, or a protein shake. Also, try to plan ahead, know how many calories you are going to burn for the day, and plan your meals accordingly. That way you can spread all of your calories out throughout the day and not be stuck with a bunch at the end of the day. :smile: