IIFYM Help and new friends?

Options
Hi Everyone,

I've been off and on MFP for a year or so, lost 23lbs but put back on a fair few! I've decided to try IIFYM as having tried all sorts of different plans I've realised I do best when I can eat everything in moderation. Anyway, I'm totally new to IIFYM, I've used a calculator online and worked out my macro goals, but thats about it! I'm hoping to find some people using IIFYM successfully, who can maybe give me some hints and tips and who I can become friends with on here so I could get some food ideas from open diaries? I don't currently lift weights but am getting a weights bench and barbell this week.

Thanks anyone who takes the time to reply, I look forward to some tips :)

Replies

• agartin
    agartin Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm super interested in seeing responses to this! I just started today working out my macros. It's a little nerve wracking because I'm no longer restricting everything as much. I went from 1200 calories (failing miserably since my life got so busy/hectic with my daughter in cheer) to 1615..
  • m2921
    m2921 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, it looks like there's not many people out there with much info on IIFYM? Maybe I didn't word the post very well. How are you finding it so far Agartin?
  • Tarisgetsfit
    Tarisgetsfit Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    HI I was new IIFYM too...like a few days ago.. I tried to look anyone who knows very well about IIFYM and Flexibling Diet...
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I've been following IIFYM/flexible dieting for over a year.. i stopped logging on here and now use the My Macros+ app as its much easier if you're counting macros.
  • Aussie_Mel
    Aussie_Mel Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've been following iifym for the last couple of years. Has worked great. Earlier this year I had a complete break. Due to some personal issues. But back to tracking again. Feel free to add me if you want.

Mel
  • m2921
    Options
    Thanks very much for the responses guys, it's been going pretty well so far, I struggle to hit my protein goal without eating too much fat at the moment but it's a work in progress...
  • saucesofit
    saucesofit Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My greatest advice is to just keep working at it! Eventually you'll figure out combinations that work well and fit your numbers. Really the key is consistency; you want to be within grams on each item. At first that can be a real struggle, but eventually it become second nature to look at what you have left and fit something to that.

One thing that might help is just taking some time to sit and plug things in and play with a day. Not even necessarily eat the things, but just add and delete and get comfortable with the numbers.

if you have specific questions I'd love to answer them!
  • m2921
    edited November 2015
    Options
    saucesofit wrote: »
    My greatest advice is to just keep working at it! Eventually you'll figure out combinations that work well and fit your numbers. Really the key is consistency; you want to be within grams on each item. At first that can be a real struggle, but eventually it become second nature to look at what you have left and fit something to that.

One thing that might help is just taking some time to sit and plug things in and play with a day. Not even necessarily eat the things, but just add and delete and get comfortable with the numbers.

if you have specific questions I'd love to answer them!

Thanks so much saucesofit, the thing I'm struggling with at the moment is keeping my fat intake down. I can manage the protein (with shakes etc) and can keep the carbs low enough but only going over on the fat. I'm quite enjoying it so far and will definitely just keep playing around with various things and see what combinations gets me closest to the right macros!

• Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Love IIFYM! I usually prelog my day and adjust as required. I find it way easier to hit my macros doing it that way. I adjust my day as it goes (if it changes from what I planned) because life happens. Feel free to add me if you want. I was out of town on the weekend visiting family and friends so my macros on the weekend are out, so..ignore those if you look at my diary!
  • saucesofit
    saucesofit Posts: 16 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Thanks so much saucesofit, the thing I'm struggling with at the moment is keeping my fat intake down. I can manage the protein (with shakes etc) and can keep the carbs low enough but only going over on the fat. I'm quite enjoying it so far and will definitely just keep playing around with various things and see what combinations gets me closest to the right macros!

Out of curiosity, what are your fats at? If you really need to adjust you could add a few more fats and remove some carbs. I'm not sure how you calculated your numbers, but they are really just a starting point. Over time you can totally adjust things to suit your body and your goals. I know that probably sounds complicated now, but there really isn't a one-size-fits-all solution.

For example, I do better with lower fats and higher carbs, yet have a friend who has fats so high she's pretty much doing a keto diet. I'm not saying that's for you, I'm just saying that you can start to change things up as you get more comfortable.

Also, as above mentioned it might be easier to pre-log. This used to be critical for me, but I've gotten to a point where I can be more flexible over time. It's a process for sure, but one that's super valuable!
  • AOdell79
    AOdell79 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I do it! Ive lost 26 lbs. Feel free to add me. As some people above said, pre logging is the key. That way you can adjust accordingly if you know you're going to eat certain foods or plan for a treat, you can adjust your meals for the rest of the day around that.

For me, I set my protein intake at 40% but I am more concerned with eating at least one gram of protein for every pound I weigh. My fats and carbs are each at 30%.

Some days my percentages may be off a bit but I tend to look at the week as a whole and over a weeks time make sure my macros are where I want them. Good luck!
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I am doing this too ( flexible) since a month of 3 now.

Look at @vismal and his youtube channel Feeding Fitness. Lots of tips, good info and explanations.

95069916.png