Sober November

Options
Hey all!

Any else want to try to set a goal to stay sober in November? It's a bit tricky with Thanksgiving and all (dealing with family without wine? gasp!), but I'm ready to shoot for a totally dry month. I may have a couple of slip ups, but really want to try to stop for a bit and give my wallet/waistline/liver a break!

If anybody else wants to join, post below! And make sure to update every once in a while about your journey, nights when it's a bit tougher, etc.

Looking forward to a good month!

Replies

• purpledoll173
    purpledoll173 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've recently joined and alcohol is the one thing that keeps sending my calorie count skyrocketing. It's one thing to know there's 250 calories in a pint of beer, but seeing how a few drinks double my evening intake is another.
    Some of my friends have done Sober October, but my birthday is at the beginning of the month, and Halloween parties are at the end! So let's try November! :)
  • Chinkiri
    Chinkiri Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Far too many of my calories come from alcohol: a few wee drams with my Scottish husband, some delicious glasses of wonderful red wine as I live on France. I want to cut down, as I'm 20 kilos overweight, but it's hard to cut these liquid calories! Need support!
  • lhermo
    lhermo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Great! Let's work to support each other then :) I'm always amazed by just how many calories I take in while drinking- it adds up quick. I'm hoping that this will really kick start my weight loss!
  • rdaheatherh213
    rdaheatherh213 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I want to cut down. This will be tough with thanksgiving approaching! I'm up for the challenge!!
  • ejcanavan
    ejcanavan Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I reallllly want to do this but it's so hard. Trying low carb so figured if I kept the drinks small and to spirits instead of beer I would be ok. Not sure I can justify drinking my calories anymore :)
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Well I was in for sober September and sober October, so might as well stay in the dry pool. I'm in :smiley:
  • lhermo
    Options
    @ejcanavan feel free to join even if you do slip up! It'll be challenging but I told myself I'm allowed to have a lapse or two as long as I make sure to post about it here (so one slip up doesn't lead to just giving up the whole month.)
  • paigehood
    paigehood Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just trying to limit it to weekends for November and forever - having surgery on the 13th, so November won't be too difficult!
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I was in the sober September and October also. It helps a lot to see others posting about their struggles. I'm in for November and want to eat the calories at Thanksgiving, not drink them! With 4 different Thanksgiving dinners to go to over a ten day span I don't want to ruin the work of the past month. I've done that for too many years now. While I slipped once or twice in October, I managed to stay AF for my birthday party dinner, so that was a biggie.
  • MadDynasty119
    MadDynasty119 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I decided to do this on my own actually and was happy to see your post. There will be a lot of difficulty for me this month doing it, but I'm really looking to evoke positive change and draw definitive yes/no lines for myself on my weight loss journey.
    A bit about me - I'm 27 female, 5'7 and currently 240lbs. I've always been heavy, but others told me and I told myself that because I'm proportionate and stylish, it's ok. And it is! I really admire body positive people and plus sized women who embrace their bodies, and I consider myself to be among this group. I was born with my genetics, and I accept them, but when it all boils down to it - I can't say I've ever given losing weight my all. I eat healthier than most of my "skinny" friends, and live an active lifestyle. I do indulge in "bad foods" when I have cravings, but for the most part I eat healthy. I live a moderately active lifestyle, and can do most activities I set my mind to. For years I've looked outside myself and thought "I just can't lose weight, no matter what I do." The truth is that in recent years indulgences can be more accurately describes as binges, and active lifestyle means powering through a long walk on a drunk night out in heels.
    I'm obviously going way to far into detail and should keep this more on topic, but I hope to vent my sober frustrations for the month on here and talk to people trying to kick-start their weight loss by doing the same.
    Thanks for reading and good luck. Day 3 tomorrow!
  • purpledoll173
    Options
    My weight has been creeping up for a while, but I've happily considered myself fat but fit as I walk and cycle everywhere, and generally have a pretty active lifestyle. 4 months ago I had a bad accident which temporarily put me out of action, and now I feel rather out of shape and flabby. The embarrassing (and on topic) part of this, is that for the first month I lost weight despite eating plenty and hardly moving. Because I couldn't walk to the pub. :o
  • lhermo
    Options
    Hey all!

Hope day 3 is treating you well! It's a frustrating Wednesday at work so to motivate myself to stay on task, I did a bit of finance calculation at lunch. I'm terrible at math, so bear with me.

Usually, a bottle of wine costs about 10-12 dollars. I buy one about twice a week.
    Every once in a while, I'll bring a bottle of liquor to a party (like last weekend's Halloween party): 20 dollars.
    My drink of choice runs me from 7-9 dollars, depending on the bar. When I go out, (generally a few times a week), I'll always get two and, if I don't have to drive later, will get more.

Which means that, sticking with this, I can occasionally save about 100 dollars a week! It's really interesting to see this all laid out. Sometimes on weekends, if I'm out for a bunch of hours, I can spend 50 dollars on one day on drinks alone.

I'm planning on using all this extra $$$$ to save up for amazing travel experiences: I'm planning a cabin trip in December with friends, and tickets to Panama are looking super cheap. So when I think about faltering, I'll just picture myself on a surfboard and know that I'm one step closer to that goal!

What are you all doing to motivate?
  • marymbradford18
    marymbradford18 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join. I'm trying to lose weight and calories from alcohol kill me. I am furthering the goal to say that I will only drink water this month. I am craving a Coke badly!
  • rdaheatherh213
    rdaheatherh213 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    lhermo wrote: »
    Hey all!

Hope day 3 is treating you well! It's a frustrating Wednesday at work so to motivate myself to stay on task, I did a bit of finance calculation at lunch. I'm terrible at math, so bear with me.

Usually, a bottle of wine costs about 10-12 dollars. I buy one about twice a week.
    Every once in a while, I'll bring a bottle of liquor to a party (like last weekend's Halloween party): 20 dollars.
    My drink of choice runs me from 7-9 dollars, depending on the bar. When I go out, (generally a few times a week), I'll always get two and, if I don't have to drive later, will get more.

Which means that, sticking with this, I can occasionally save about 100 dollars a week! It's really interesting to see this all laid out. Sometimes on weekends, if I'm out for a bunch of hours, I can spend 50 dollars on one day on drinks alone.

I'm planning on using all this extra $$$$ to save up for amazing travel experiences: I'm planning a cabin trip in December with friends, and tickets to Panama are looking super cheap. So when I think about faltering, I'll just picture myself on a surfboard and know that I'm one step closer to that goal!

What are you all doing to motivate?

Isn't today Tuesday ? Lol
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I am in. Since I work weekends in a bar, I need an excuse to say no to shots. I will use this as my excuse :)
  • lhermo
    Options
    @rdaheatherh213 Lol, you're right! You can see how long this week has been for me :)
  • missbrownsuga444
    Options
    I know it will be hard but I'd like to !
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I am in. Last alcoholic beverage 10/24/15. B)
  • purpledoll173
    Options
    I had dinner with friends last night which would normally be very tempting, but 3 out of the 4 of us weren't drinking. Only the birthday girl had a glass of wine. The host has been warned off drinking due to a couple of bad bouts of pancreatitis, and the other girl is pregnant.
    The money I would have spent on wine or beer doubled the money I spent on the birthday girl's present. So there are benefits already!
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,964 Member
    Options
    Lol I can't