Binge help!!!

Options
So I have been eating healthy and treating myself sometimes for about 3 months but on Friday I went to a Halloween party and from then until today I have been eating junk food nonstop, going way over my calorie limit for each day, and I have gained 5 lbs. I'm really upset with myself and I feel like I've just ruined my whole weight loss because I this. I don't know what to do!

Replies

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    You know exactly what to do. You're just not doing it, right?

• lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can gain 5 pounds of fat in two days. It's probably fluid retention. This won't ruin all your hard work if you get right back on your program.
  • Obnoxa
    Obnoxa Posts: 187 Member
    Options

+1
    Saddle up and move forward.
  • shylady76
    shylady76 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Exercise or go for a walk and get back on track.
  • ariana_eatsandlifts
    Options
    To gain five pounds of fat, you would have had to eat 17,500 calories OVER your maintenance. It's likely water retention. Log what you ate and move on. You're human so don't let a few days derail you from all the work you've put in over the last few months.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    One weekend of binging does not a weight loss plan derail. Look at your diary for the rest of the week. Notice the days you didn't go over? Or came in quite a bit under? Weight loss is not made or broken by the days, it's won and lost on the battlefield of MONTHS. You will recover from this. And you almost certainly didn't gain five pounds of body fat in one weekend, it's water. Probably the immensely high sodium in candy and other treats did it to you. Just take a deep breath, acknowledge what's happened, and do better today. Then do better tomorrow.
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    +1. Dust yourself off and get back on your horse
  • rlprice1231
    rlprice1231 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your advice! I'll try and get back on track ! :)
  • Living360
    Living360 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    We had a pizza party at work on Friday then we worked late and they brought in dinner too. I was ready to create a meal called "z pizza party & more-blew it" for 5000 calories. I didn't want to miss a day logging. Silly MFP said this meal already exists, lmao. Of course it recognized "z pizza" so I entered what I actually ate and and at the end of the day I was only about 250 calories over my goal. I had skipped breakfast knowing I would need the calories for lunch which started early at 11:30am. Count this as a "cheat weekend" and start eating healthy at your next meal. Drink lots of water. I can almost guarantee this won't be your only set back in a life time of living healthy. Most of us have done it. That's why we have short term and long term goals. You did the right thing by reaching out for words of encouragement and support.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I actually don't recommend any fasting or very difficult measures to 'make up' for it. That can turn dysfunctional, so it's probably safer to just move on. Clean slate. Just keep on doing what you've been doing for 3 months, and you already know the drill there :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    So you had a weekend blowout. It happens. Start over with your extra five pounds. Start losing again.

But let go of the guilt and shame over this setback. It's unproductive and cannot help in any way.

Get back to work. Don't waste time and energy on regret and all that jazz.
  • BingerNoMore
    BingerNoMore Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have really bad issues with binging (as you can tell by my username) and my advice is just start over, and move on. Don't eat barely anything the next few days to make up for it (been there done that) it doesn't work cause you just can't take it anymore and get majorly hungry and the binge starts all over again. I'm trying to build a healthy relationship with food and to do that you need to get out of that cycle of things. Don't beat yourself up over it :)
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Log it, own it and stop it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain 5 pounds, as it's most likely water retention. Log it and move on.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    what ever you do DON'T beat yourself up- you are human- just try again and KEEP going!!!!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options

This.

I went to a Halloween party too. I ate around 1200 calories *OVER* my maintenance. The next day? Back in action. My goal is way too important to let continued junk-food eating win.. I enjoyed my halloween but it is absolutely not necessary to keep overloading my body. I 'cut back' slightly the following day to balance things out but my advice to you from now onwards would be - get strong!
  • MarietjieHoward
    MarietjieHoward Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Forget about what you ate over the weekend, it is done and there is nothing you can do to change it, except learn from it. Today is a new day start it the right way and make sure you don't fall of the wagon again this weekend, we all have done it at some time or another. Just keep moving forward and you will be just fine.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Log it and move on.
  • KaleYogaGin
    KaleYogaGin Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My Halloween weekend this year just so happened to also be my best friend's wedding. ...quite a lot of red wine was drunk by yours truly, not to mention the three course meal and countless entrées. And if I'm honest, I regret nothing. It was wonderful and memorable and delicious. What can you do but wipe the slate clean on Monday morning and start afresh? Good for you OP, you're taking the first step by acknowledging your actions. Log it and carry on.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    This might be redundant but I am going to post it anyway. I think if you call any day a cheat day it might trigger your brain that you are doing something wrong. I don't think of cheat days anymore. There may be days when I want to eat something that is not healthy or I may eat too much, but I just make sure I enjoy it and then I go back to my regularly scheduled program.