Net carbs and weight loss

Options
For the purpose of keeping my carbohydrate intake at a certain level, can I net my total Carbohydrate and Fiber totals?

Replies

• ejcanavan
    ejcanavan Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I always do but find sometimes you have to create a food entry and do the math for yourself. That way there is no question. I drink EAS Carb shakes and it calculates, but then things like nuts don't.
  • suehubbard
    suehubbard Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I just ate a bunch of almonds and panicked a little when I saw that I had just consumed 18 carbs, but they included 12 fiber. (My daily carb goal is 30 grams.) Hence my question...
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Net carbs don't work well. Forget them.
  • Coolhandkid
    Coolhandkid Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Why are you keeping your carb intake at a certain level? If you have glucose concerns I would put the fiber intake as one of your readily available macros so you can see the two #s next to one another.

Why can't you just look at your daily intake and subtract the fiber from the carbs?
  • suehubbard
    Options
    I am sensitive to carbs, so I try to keep my intake low for weight loss. Subtracting fiber from carbs after each day is not a problem; I was just not sure if I would be cheating my weight loss efforts by doing that.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Monitor your carbs for your health, but that will not help your weight loss. You need to eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Monitor your carbs for your health, but that will not help your weight loss. You need to eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight.

This.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Just be consistent with it. Either track the total carb and see how your weight fluctuates, or do net carbs for everything and see how it fluctuates. You can adjust your calories depending if you gain or lose weight, but consistency is key.
  • suehubbard
    Options
    You are right, pinggolfer96; consistency is the key. I guess I already knew that; I was just looking for excuses to 'cheat'. Consistency is what has worked for me in the past; i.e., not netting carbs. Thank you for the positive reinforcement!!
  • tashigolean115
    tashigolean115 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    There is also a low carb group if you'd like to join. If you are trying to achieve ketosis and calculate using net carbs, you will want to calculate net carbs for each item individually. Tallying up all carbs and all fiber at the end of the day and doing one calculation will get you into trouble.