Vegetarians/vegans friends

Options
Using this app. for a week now. Looking to meet vegetarians and vegan friends... Please feel free to connect!

Replies

• AJC2808
    AJC2808 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'm Vegan - have been since August 2011!

How're you doing? :)
  • rachaelkoh_
    rachaelkoh_ Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody! Just created this new fitnesspal because I want to start documenting my vegan lifestyle! :) hoping to get healthier, fitter and to lose some unnecessary weight, all CRUELTY FREE! Please add me! :)
  • misssixtylove484
    misssixtylove484 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I added both of you :)
  • mstybel450
    mstybel450 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Been vegan since 2010 and loving it
  • misssixtylove484
    Options
    I am vegetarian since I was born :) I would like to become vegan but punctually I like chocolate and cakes and these usually contain cow milk and eggs... looking for vegan alternatives though but I didn't find it in the UK
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    ... looking for vegan alternatives though but I didn't find it in the UK

Ex veggie gone vegan and there's a fair choice of dairy-free chocolate in the UK - the Moo Free range is in some supermarkets, a few of Green & Blacks choc bars and supermarket own-brand dark choc bars, there's Jameson's Raspberry Ruffles, Fry's Chocolate Cream, Ritter Sport (marzipan variety), Waitrose 200g dairy-free fruit and nut or whole nut bar, Choices (have seen these in Sainsburys) sell a soft caramel coated in thick 'milk' chocolate, also choc buttons, luxury chocs like Booja Booja truffles ... cakes are harder to find but I'd rather make my own anyway.
  • misssixtylove484
    Options
    ... looking for vegan alternatives though but I didn't find it in the UK

Ex veggie gone vegan and there's a fair choice of dairy-free chocolate in the UK - the Moo Free range is in some supermarkets, a few of Green & Blacks choc bars and supermarket own-brand dark choc bars, there's Jameson's Raspberry Ruffles, Fry's Chocolate Cream, Ritter Sport (marzipan variety), Waitrose 200g dairy-free fruit and nut or whole nut bar, Choices (have seen these in Sainsburys) sell a soft caramel coated in thick 'milk' chocolate, also choc buttons, luxury chocs like Booja Booja truffles ... cakes are harder to find but I'd rather make my own anyway.

Many thanks trickydisco, with such a great list of chocolates I will look directly for those, instead of going around and around in the supermarket! :smiley:
  • alltimejaqk
    alltimejaqk Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey!! I've been veggie for 14 months now and am transitioning to vegan! Exciting stuff haha, how are you?
  • misssixtylove484
    Options
    Hey!! I've been veggie for 14 months now and am transitioning to vegan! Exciting stuff haha, how are you?
    Congrats for the 14 months alltimejaqk! and thanks for connecting :)
  • madhvis23
    madhvis23 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi i'm vegetarian Since my birth.
  • Meghnel
    Meghnel Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am vegetarian since birth. You can add me
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Mainly vegan vegetarian here, have been for 25 years. Feel free to add me, too.
  • misssixtylove484
    Options
    Thank you all! :)
  • misssixtylove484
    Options
    I have been today to one of the biggest Waitrose supermarkets in London, checked all chocolates' labels including all sort of green&black varieties and even those which are 100% dark may contain milk. There is no chocolate marked as suitable for vegans. Even the store manager didn't know what it was the Booja Booja truffles.
    Said that, I found a solution that is very satisfactory for now at least, there is an Israeli products section in big supermarkets as Tesco and Sainsbury with sweets and chocolates marked as "kosher and parve". This "parve" chocolate does not contain milk and this is 100% sure :)
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    Just checked Green & Black's site and in the FAQ it says they've changed the labelling and removed the vegan statement, have included milk in the ingredients list of their dark chocolate although they don't actually use it. Say it's because the dark is made on the same production line as milk and even though they wash the line down they can't guarantee there are no traces of milk whatsoever, may be more than the 5ppm scientists state could cause a reaction for milk allergen sufferers. Depends how strictly you follow the vegan principle of no animal products I guess, whether you're fazed by fact there could be very slight contamination in the form of only a few parts per million after the production line has been washed. Sorry you couldn't find the Waitrose chocolate - it's not marked 'vegan' on the label but milk wasn't listed in the ingredients the last time I bought a bar; maybe the choc manufacturers have all changed ingredient lists due to clearer labelling brought in re allergens recently. I find you do have to read labels a lot when you go plant-based. Booja Booja have a website too and were for sale in a nearby Tesco last week in the Xmas chocs aisle but maybe aren't in every store, don't know if Waitrose ever sold them. Glad you found some products you're happy with in the end. :)
  • Hollandais1970
    Hollandais1970 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 45 and vegarian for over 23 years.... will certainly join you.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Vegan Bodybuilder/lifter. Been vegan for a good long time now.
  • misssixtylove484
    Options
    Just checked Green & Black's site and in the FAQ it says they've changed the labelling and removed the vegan statement, have included milk in the ingredients list of their dark chocolate although they don't actually use it. Say it's because the dark is made on the same production line as milk and even though they wash the line down they can't guarantee there are no traces of milk whatsoever, may be more than the 5ppm scientists state could cause a reaction for milk allergen sufferers. Depends how strictly you follow the vegan principle of no animal products I guess, whether you're fazed by fact there could be very slight contamination in the form of only a few parts per million after the production line has been washed. Sorry you couldn't find the Waitrose chocolate - it's not marked 'vegan' on the label but milk wasn't listed in the ingredients the last time I bought a bar; maybe the choc manufacturers have all changed ingredient lists due to clearer labelling brought in re allergens recently. I find you do have to read labels a lot when you go plant-based. Booja Booja have a website too and were for sale in a nearby Tesco last week in the Xmas chocs aisle but maybe aren't in every store, don't know if Waitrose ever sold them. Glad you found some products you're happy with in the end. :)
    TrickyDisco many thanks :)
    I am going to visit the Wholefoods market on Saturday, I am sure they will have the Booja Booja truffles, just for not keeping with the wanting.
    For the rest, I have decided to be very strict with this but honestly not because the traces of milk which is equal to nothing just because I would like the food industry and the labels provide a huge variety of soya cheeses, vegan chocolates, vegan cakes and more and more vegan options including the stamp 'suitable for vegans'. I consider it's not fair enough that big supermarkets only have a small section of vegetarian/vegan food. This has to change...
    On the other side, I visited the Booja Booja website and that's great. I prefer to buy Booja Booja products and maybe paying a little bit more as they are specifically providing chocolate for vegan people including the vegan stamp in their truffles while at other labels don't care.
    And I have also found some internet sites to buy vegan food online :)
  • pkaur06
    pkaur06 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi I sent you a friend requst. I have been a vegetarian all my life
  • sarahgreensandthings
    Options
    Got out of the swing of things in the midst of going veggie/vegan and with crazy school stuff, but I'm back at it! Please add me! (Veggie since May of this year, Vegan since Julyish)