Questions About My Diet Plan

Options
Okay, so here's how I plan to start eating:
Breakfast: fruit
Lunch: veggies
Dinner: whatever I decide on
No snacks throughout the day and only drinking water.

Does this plan sound decent for weight loss? Does it sound safe? Would it be good for a 1,200 calories per day diet? Help would be much appreciated.

Replies

• acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    If that works for you, that's great, but that plan would leave me devouring everything I could get my hands on after lunch. I would try to add some protein and fat to breakfast and lunch to help keep you full.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Eat whatever you want, whenever you want, as long as you weigh it and you are meeting your caloric deficit :)

Life is to short to needlessly have such a restricted diet! Like acheben said, if it works for you, great. But if it doesn't, don't be afraid to tweak things!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    What is your protein goal? Will you be able to hit your fat goal? It seems like you should try prelogging a few days and seeing if that allows you to hit your 1200 calorie goal.

Personally, I think it sounds horrible, and it wouldn't keep me feeling full. For you? You're really the only one who can determine that. Fats and protein general help people feel full, and there are recommended amounts of both, which you should be hitting (at least since they are minimums).

Why not just log your stats into MFP, aim to hit your calorie goal, and find foods that help you get there? There's no reason to be quite as restrictive as you are being. For me, I'd want other things, and then I'd constantly feel like a failure. I've found I do better when I have less "rules".
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Sounds pretty ridiculous to me, as you've set no parameters for amounts other than an overall 1200 calorie goal.

Sounds like you'd be massively short on necessary protein and dietary fats, of course depending on what your dinner consisted of.

Much better to just eat a well-balanced diet of foods you enjoy in appropriate portion sizes.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Um......why? NO, this doesn't sound healthy.

Protein, fat and fiber are all filling food.

Protien, fat and carbs are essential for basic bodily functions. These 3 things are known as macros.

Breakfast: protein source + fat.....carbs are whatever. If I choose fruit....then I get fiber
    Idea: Greek yogurt (2%) + fruit...or 0% and add some chopped nuts.

Lunch: protein source + fat.....carbs are whatever. Veggies are great for fiber.
    Idea: Green salad with grilled chicken, shredded cheese and salad dressing (light or full fat)....depending upon qty. of cheese.

Dinner: protein source + fat.....carbs are whatever.

1200 is MFPs lowest minimum (before exercise). You can lose weight eating that little....or you can lose weight eating more. Your choice.

I eat more because I don't want to be a b*tch, and because I want to lose fat and NOT lean muscle mass.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't last all day eating like that. I'd be starving before dinner. I've already eaten 5 times today, and I still have dinner coming.
  • Nicole3043
    Nicole3043 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are eating enough, especially protein. This probably sounds crazy but, you have to eat enough calories to loose weight. Start off you day by having a protein rich breakfast and don't deny yourself snacks. You need to fuel your body throughout the day. Here is a protein rich recipe for breakfast and foods to eat throught the day that are packed with nutrients that your body needs. Best of luck to you!! :)

http://www.sportsnutritionminute.com/vanilla-blueberry-protein-pancakes/
    http://www.sportsnutritionminute.com/15-of-the-healthiest-foods-on-the-planet/
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @valmeeoow this would not work for diabetics or hypoglycemics (not that I'm suggesting you are) as the macros are not balanced, leading to Very Hungry and Very Full moments in the day. By training I try and get all macros in every meal and every snack, to prevent the Veries.

For instance, I'd have yogurt and a slice of toast with that fruit for breakfast, and some sliced chicken, tofu, or beef with the salad at lunch.
  • emily7kg
    emily7kg Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you can't lose weight because you are eating too little and your body, thinking that you're starving, lowers your metabolism to prevent you from dying. Not many people can sustain the deprivation of 1200 cal for more than a few weeks.
    What the other commenters are saying about protein is spot on.

To maintain your weight loss for the long term, you need to create habits that are sustainable for you. For example, always take a healthy snack with you when you go out in case you get peckish, so you don't accidentally buy 6 doughnuts. It has happened to me! Also, learning to listen to your body's self regulating hunger signals and not eating for the sake of eating.
  • amandabama22
    amandabama22 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    When I was just eating fruit for breakfast, I felt like I was starving. So I don't do that anymore :)
    But I would switch up your lunch and dinner. Bob Harper "The skinny rules" don't eat carbs after lunch.
    It works great I've lost 40lb in 3 months. :) I eat 1200 calories a day.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, it doesn't seem balanced or filling, but if it works for you that's what matters.

I like to get some protein in at all meals (for me that's more filling and helps me meet my protein goal, as I am trying to maximize muscle preservation while losing) and have a variety of foods that I enjoy. I also like to have vegetables at every meal, but normally not just vegetables.

I also do well not snacking (some people find snacking helps them) and generally not drinking anything with calories.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Yikes! I'd probably eat the entire kitchen for dinner with a diet like that! Where's the fats and protein to keep you full? Restricting that much is just a recipe for disaster in my opinion.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Sounds terrible.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP no, that doesn't sound like a sustainable "diet". Why not use MFP to set a reasonable calorie deficit, eat a variety of foods, focusing on nutrient density and satiety, leaving room for "treats" if you want, exercise if you like, and eat back a portion of the exercise calories. This is as complicated as it needs to be.... and is pretty much how MFP is designed to work. No special "diet" or "plan" needed.

For more info, read this:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here/p1

• Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    terrible plan
  • valmeeoow
    valmeeoow Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am thankful to ones one who aren't rude on here. For those who have helpful information, thank you so much. To those just being rude and saying I'm setting my body up for disaster, it's actually better than I have been eating. I'm in the process of eating disorder recovery, they are helping me but it is hard. Also, I am a vegan and tofu makes me extremely sick so I can't really add anything to my salads.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    No
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    There just isn't enough info there to begin to have an opinion. Are you going to be getting a wide variety of those fruits and veggies? Are you going to enjoy splitting them up like that? Are those dinners going to be well-balanced, healthy foods or Olive Garden or what?

For weight loss, it's all about the calories.

For health, it's all about what you eat.

Pick your goals, work toward them and you'll succeed! :)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    valmeeoow wrote: »
    I am thankful to ones one who aren't rude on here. For those who have helpful information, thank you so much. To those just being rude and saying I'm setting my body up for disaster, it's actually better than I have been eating. I'm in the process of eating disorder recovery, they are helping me but it is hard. Also, I am a vegan and tofu makes me extremely sick so I can't really add anything to my salads.

This is probably a question that would best be directed to your treatment team. They know a lot more about your needs and history than anyone here and can give you more specific advice.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    valmeeoow wrote: »

How about beans?

But, yes, since you are in ED recovery you should work with a dietitian on what's a healthy balanced diet for you, as we don't have the information.