Lowest cal alcoholic drink?

Options
Hi everyone!
Still fairly new to this, about a week in! I am going out to dinner with some coworkers then out for some drinks. What is my best choice for drinks? I was thinking a flavored vodka with soda water but I'm not sure I'll like it? I am a very light drinker and usually get something girly like a Malibu and pineapple however the pinapple juice hurts my tummy now. Not to mention is loaded with sugar and calories. So what do you all suggest that is a good alternative?

Replies

• ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    I like adding flavored vodka to iced tea (with 1-2 sweet n low packets, not real sugar), because I don't drink soda. If you drink soda, any diet option is 0 calories. Alcohol isn't low calorie though. You just need to fit it into your day if you want to have it.
  • 19gabriela01
    19gabriela01 Posts: 2,090 Member
    Options
    I'd go for bacardi superior. Just on the rocks with a lot of lime juice!!!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Water and lemon. Alcohol is the enemy. Day #8 alcohol free for me. It was sabotaging my wt loss.
  • kacotugno86
    kacotugno86 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Water and lemon. Alcohol is the enemy. Day #8 alcohol free for me. It was sabotaging my wt loss.
    kbmnurse wrote: »

Well I barely drink ever maybe once every six months so I'm not too worried about it hurting my weight long term or constantly. :)
  • kacotugno86
    Options
    No I've
    diet coke and puerto rican rum. have you ever had it?

no I've never tried it.
  • natyack
    natyack Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I do flavored vodka and club soda. It's definitely not as sweet as you'll be used to but still really good. Sometimes I'll ask for a little splash of juice in there too - so you could do orange vodka, club soda with a splash of pineapple juice.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    The classic Gin & Tonic. Use zero cal tonic. You can easily alternate with plain 0 tonic too. It still looks like you have a drink in your hand, and the taste is similar do it isn't a big of an alternating change as water/ club soda.

Cheers, h.
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I'd say a small shot of strong alcohol with a low calorie mixer. I like all of these:
    Gin and diet tonic
    Whiskey or spiced rum and Diet Coke
    Whiskey and diet ginger ale
  • ljcox7210
    ljcox7210 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    A vodka and diet coke is 52 calories a pop and is a nice long lasting drink, probably as low as you are going to get really

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting that, on this site, you get people yelling at you for asking what protein powder to use ("EAT REAL FOOD", is the mantra) and people asking what alcohol is "best" for weight loss. Is there a greater example of "empty calories" than alcohol?

"Well I barely drink ever maybe once every six months so I'm not too worried about it hurting my weight long term or constantly." So, it really isn't an issue, is it?
  • Roony02
    Roony02 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Vodka or gin and tonic probably
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I like water
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Plain vodka soda with a lime is about as low as it gets.

This all depends on the bartenders pour, though.
  • kacotugno86
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    I find it interesting that, on this site, you get people yelling at you for asking what protein powder to use ("EAT REAL FOOD", is the mantra) and people asking what alcohol is "best" for weight loss. Is there a greater example of "empty calories" than alcohol?

"Well I barely drink ever maybe once every six months so I'm not too worried about it hurting my weight long term or constantly." So, it really isn't an issue, is it?

I wasn't asking what alcohol was best for weight loss? I was asking what alcohol had the lowest calories in it. I realize it's "empty calories." Duh. Everything in moderation my friend.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Dry red wine is pretty reasonable @ 100-130 per glass.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    if you don't drink that often and aren't worried about it affecting your weight loss why does the calories matter? Just get what you like, if it's really only a couple days a year it won't make a difference.
  • burban00
    burban00 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Vodka
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    If you drink that rarely, just get what you like and fit it into your daily calories.

Hard alcohols (your vodka/gin/rum/whiskeys, the 40% type stuff) all have approximately the same calories per ounce (more for stuff with more sugar, obviously), so it's the mixers that are going to vary widely, and you have to make sure to log them accurately if you're concerned.

But one Malibu and pineapple isn't going to derail your day - a 1.5 oz pour of Malibu only has about 70 calories, so even with 8 oz of pineapple juice at approx. 130 calories that's only a 200 calorie drink. I mean, you could do half soda water half pineapple to cut it down further, but even a 1200 calorie day has room for a 200 calorie drink if you budget the rest of your day accordingly.

If you're planning to drink heavily, it can require more forethought for sure (sticking to zero-cal mixers, having a lower-calorie day or two or exercising more heavily to compensate), but for one or two? Just fit it in or call it a maintenance day and move on.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Wine. A standard glass of wine is just 125 calories.

If I wasn't in a wine mood, I would just get Scotch. Straight liquor without any mixers is low in calories and you need to sip it slowly which means it lasts a long time. A nice smoky Scotch is a nice treat in colder weather.