Sweet potatoes

Options
2»

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love this African Peanut Stew and also this Leftover Roast Chicken Soup Although neither is SUPER heavy on sweet potatoes, they both freeze very well in portions so that you have 2-3 months to eat them.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Wow. I'm so boring. :/ I just bake mine, put some smart balance spread on it and eat the whole thing, skin and all. Yum.

I pretty much only roast them with some olive oil and salt.

It's funny--I spent years trying to come up with a good recipe for them and then I realized I love them cooked the simplest way.

I hate all recipes that involve mashing them or adding sweetness.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Love sweet potatoes!! oil and all purpose seasoning and then bake, yum!! simple but tasty.
    Question though, do you weigh them before or after cooking and count the calories?

Weigh them before cooking.
  • ksuhre
    ksuhre Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I added mine into my matzo ball soup - unexpectedly great'!
  • Bubbah
    Bubbah Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I bought a 1/2 bushel of red sweet potatoes about a week ago and need some healthy recipes.

Just coo k
    nd add cinnamon

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'd roast half of them, mash them, squish them in to my muffin tins, and freeze. I would then use them in recipes through the winter.

The rest I'd cook in various ways as described by others.
  • starfishwendy
    starfishwendy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I like mine with an over medium egg on top.

I cook it in the microwave for 5 minutes, cut it up in cubs and saute it for 2 minutes in coconut oil and put my egg on top. So yummy! !
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    GillianLF wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »

This has my mouth watering. I will be trying this over the weekend I think! Thanks @Kalikel

Hope you like it! :)
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    IMO this the best way to bake a sweet potato. I also like to add a bit of goal cheese after baking and mash it in.
  • amberlyda1
    amberlyda1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    im a little weird, but i like mine with a little butter or garlic oil, cinnamon, cayenne and chilipowder
  • blackburn23
    blackburn23 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I'd roast half of them, mash them, squish them in to my muffin tins, and freeze. I would then use them in recipes through the winter.

The rest I'd cook in various ways as described by others.

Thanks for the tip on freezing them. Never though about using muffin tins. Do they pop out easily after being frozen or do you use Pam?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Do sweet potatos freeze better than regular potatos? I never tried to freeze a sweet potato.