What is the best advice you have heard so far on your journey? Im looking forward to reading these

Options

For me it was

A day of junk food will not make you fat
Just like a day of salads will not make you fit

I have a difficult time being nice to myself and letting myself make mistakes.

Replies

• sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Buying and using a food scale.
  • girls_read_comics
    girls_read_comics Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Buying and using a food scale.

I have one but have not used it yet! I might give it a try
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Food scale is so helpful, I have two. one I keep at work and one at home. Digital with a tare function.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Don't let one day turn into one bad week turn into one bad month to one bad year. Everyday is a new chance to make the right decision.
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Advice that is helping me is along the lines of "I didn't gain all the weight in a day, and I'm not going to lose that weight in a day", and if I mess up going over calories, don't panic, just start fresh tomorrow. Other things that have helped me is understanding reasonable weekly weight losses and gains that people here in this forum have experienced.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Find what balance of macros keeps you the most satisfied.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Yeah, food scale.
    Stop talking about losing weight and just do it! The more you talk about it the longer it will take.
  • girls_read_comics
    Options
    Don't let one day turn into one bad week turn into one bad month to one bad year. Everyday is a new chance to make the right decision.

This is gold!
    I need that tattooed on my forhead.
  • girls_read_comics
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »

I have no idea what exactly a macro is :/
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. Don't put a timeline on weight loss. Good luck everyone!
    67388953.png
  • girls_read_comics
    Options
    Fursian wrote: »
    Advice that is helping me is along the lines of "I didn't gain all the weight in a day, and I'm not going to lose that weight in a day", and if I mess up going over calories, don't panic, just start fresh tomorrow. Other things that have helped me is understanding reasonable weekly weight losses and gains that people here in this forum have experienced.

It took me years to drop the 80 i have lost so far and I need to lose 20-30 more and it feels so far away .

Teaching yourself to be reasonable is one of the hardest parts. When i first started losing I was in the mindset that the biggest loser was normal for weight loss. Like 30 lbs a month
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Stop being so hard on yourself.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Get enough protein (1 gram for every pound of lean body mass) and add some strength training to lose mostly fat and preserve lean muscle.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    You need to consume 3500 calories above maintenance to gain a pound. The scale may bounce higher because of fluid retention associated with higher glycogen levels after that big carb day you had, but it's definitely NOT a pound of fat. Calm the eff down.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    "You don't throw yourself down the whole flight of stairs when you trip on one step."

"Never put anything that isn't delicious into your mouth."
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Slow progress is still progress. KEEP GOING!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Don't give up on something just because of the time it will take to achieve, the time will pass anyway.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Also, getting on the right track with how much to eat and finding a workout I love helped the most. Here's an outline I wrote a few years ago that has helped others
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach#latest
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Make things a win-win - e.g., if you get off track, it's an opportunity to figure out what lead you off track and get practice getting back on track.

Be on guard for avoidance. Identify that feeling you get when you want to "ignore reality" and use that as a cue to lean in and do the thing you are avoiding. e.g., avoiding logging? LOG!
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »

I have no idea what exactly a macro is :/

Short for macro-nutrient measured in grams, they are protein, carbohydrate, and fat. Micro-nutrients measured in milligrams such as vitamins and minerals.