Measurement system is a bit difficult.

Options
rjugy12
rjugy12 Posts: 22 Member
tryin to keep it simple (1-3 eggs =bla bla cals. Any advice. Maybe I just need to read labels on foods more. Like share friend all that good stuff let's help peps

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    My best tip: use a food scale.
  • rjugy12
    Options
    Food scale okay. Will do.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    learning how to read nutritional labels and paying attention to them is kind of important...particularly if you want to be remotely accurate with keeping a diary. I don't keep a diary anymore, but I still pay close attention to nutritional labels and I use a food scale and other measuring devices to ensure I'm getting the appropriate servings of whatever it is I'm eating.
  • rjugy12
    Options
    With my job be hectic and dealing with people the diary is great for me.. But yeah I do need to read more than the macros portion. I hate reading. I figured eating like a bro would take care of it.. But it won't!!
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    @rjugy12 - I'll prolly get a little flamed for this approach, but given that your target is 120lbs away, you should be able to afford being a little sloppy in your logging as you get the hang of things. The advice that folks have posted here is spot on, and accuracy will always win, BUT ... Rather than push yourself to be a perfect logger and an expert in tight-tolerance measurements, you can easily get a month or two of momentum of "1 medium egg" kinda logging as you ease yourself into new habits (and, of course, remembering all along that you really will wanna get a good digital food scale and some trustworthy measuring cups/spoons).

Starting to actually pay attention to what you're feeding your body, and what your body needs/uses is a great first step and may take a few days to actualize... Then start focusing on adding details as you read labels and measure with increasing accuracy. Don't wait to start, begin building the habit to enter your data, BUT don't try to be perfect immediately - your results will help to narrow your focus and these initial log entries will also help you discover some areas that are totally outta control!
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    My best tip: use a food scale.

Yep. Put those three eggs on the scale. Then weigh the shells after you cook them and subtract. Log your eggs in grams using the USDA listing. You get a very different number than you would get by logging egg-large, 3 servings.
  • rjugy12
    Options
    I'm not trying to be a measurement nazi. But I've been tweaking the measurements scale this app uses and it either sky rockets your macros or just shows u what u want to see. I just want to know I'm being accurate with my intake, it's just a lil confusing their scales I just have to science this bad boy.

But in all I'm liking the turnout and I love all advice let's keep it going liking and sharing to help others out.

• Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 610 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Agree with other regarding the purchase of a food scale. Weigh your food on the scale. Log your food; when you log make sure the database entry you are using is correct. There are many food entries with incorrect data.

(@shadowfax_c11, nice to see another aikido practitioner.)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I prefer to log from the website. I only use the app when I am out and won't be able to access the site for a while. I find it easier to locate the accurate entries because there are more alternatives. I agree with the food scale, but sometimes an increased awareness is enough to help you figure out where to make changes. Best of luck! :)
  • rjugy12
    Options
    Thx. The website has more scales?? Sweet

Like and keep sharing let's help more people