Plantar Fasciitis

Options
That's a foot issue and it hurts like a b&#$@%. Dr. doesn't want me to run, which is cool because I'm not a runner. I can walk and that starts this evening. But what are some resistance type things I can do in the home to go along with the walking? Best bang for my buck? I do have 10 pound dumb bells and that's about it. I appreciate all tips and advice. Thanks!

Replies

• spingirl605
    spingirl605 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    sit ups, push up, air squats, dips, bicep curl, tricep extensions, snatches, hovers, back extensions, lunges, I could go on, but the possibilities are endless!! I also have plantar fasciitis...I concur that it isn't pleasant at all.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Some stretches to be done regularly.
    http://www.healthline.com/health/fitness-exercise/plantar-fasciitis-stretches#1

When I have a flare up I do these stretches under my desk every time there is a twinge, or on the hour. Stretch your feet before you step out of bed in the morning.
  • earth_echo
    earth_echo Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    If you have a rolling pin, roll it over your calf muscles and over your Achilles tendon several times a day. Roll a tennis ball, can of soup, or something like that under your foot several times a day. I would also recommend calf exercises especially the ones you do on stairs. As your calves get stronger, wear a backpack filled with heavy stuff (books, bricks, whatever) while doing them.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    There are several things you can do to help alleviate PF symptoms, a few are mentioned above. It takes TIME and patience, and a real effort to not do the things that often exacerbate it (i.e. lots of walking, which killed me). I had it for several years, it finally took: 1) custom orthotics in my shoes, worn every day; 2) sleeping with the PF "boot" on at night; and 3) staying off my feet as much as possible, especially in the afternoons, when the pain would really kick in, to really help it heal. I also gained a ton of weight while I had it because I just couldn't walk, which was my main form of exercise. It was PF, and my weight gain, that actually got me on My Fitness Pal to begin with.

Looking back, I wished I had asked the question you asked when my PF started up. I just quit walking and didn't substitute anything else. And didn't modify my eating. Bad plan.

Things that I WISH I would've done include: 1) weight lifting, preferably free weights, compound lifts, progressively-heavier program; and 2) biking (both machines and in-real-life). There's also swimming, yoga/pilates, and I'm sure other exercises that can keep you active without adding to the problem.

Main thing, though, is do what it takes to heal. PF is a bugger; I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy.
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    wear shoes with good support, which may require some sort of insert for good fit. My worn out sneakers which I keep around for doing grungy/wet work will trigger that pain very quickly if I don't stick additional insoles in them.
  • Nicole3043
    Nicole3043 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Here are some body weight exercises that you can do at home, and some info on plantar fasciitis. (I have it too and it sucks!)

http://www.sportsnutritionminute.com/body-weight-exercises-welcome-to-your-home-gym/
    http://www.sportsnutritionminute.com/secrets-for-treating-plantar-fasciitis/
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I am lucky - if I swim I do not have PF. If I don't it comes straight back.

I swim....

Worth a try? Lots of freestyle kicking with lose ankles, not stiff pointy toes! So lots of stretching I guess.
  • nikkibee2015
    nikkibee2015 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for responding! I lost 54 pounds using this site/app a little over 3 years ago. I've gained 40 lbs of it back in the last year, thanks to PF. Well, mostly.

I have started steroid injections to help and they are... Kinda. Round 2 was horrid. I know that's not a solution but I had to have something to get me going. Weight gain doesn't help it yet it sucks to use my feet just to get around the house. The injections are helping me move for sure.

Thanks again!
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Resisted Dorsiflexion
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info!