Success without counting anything.

Options
13»

Replies

• BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    how do you know you eat 15gram of carbs?
    ...by counting?

95069916.png
  • Kilika735
    Kilika735 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    This whole thread trying to disprove each others "methods" is why I just lurk on here. There's always that fear that someone is going to make you feel terrible for how you're going about this weight loss journey. Can't we all just be happy that someone is having success and feeling good about themselves? I've done both CICO and low carb. I've had success with both, but don't particularly enjoy either lol. Congrats on your success! Lets just remember we're here for support, not criticism! :)
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Kilika735 wrote: »
    This whole thread trying to disprove each others "methods" is why I just lurk on here. There's always that fear that someone is going to make you feel terrible for how you're going about this weight loss journey. Can't we all just be happy that someone is having success and feeling good about themselves? I've done both CICO and low carb. I've had success with both, but don't particularly enjoy either lol. Congrats on your success! Lets just remember we're here for support, not criticism! :)

I get that, and really there's not a lot of place for that on most success story threads, but I think there is EQUAL fear that some noob will come on here and take it as gospel that it will work for them too. So it kind of goes both ways. If you give advice in any thread about types of diet outside the realm of CICO, it's pretty par for the course people are gonna step in to save the noobs a lot of confusion.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    It's great that you've found something that works for you, but your post comes off a little preachy. Like you think you've found the secret for everyone.

I don't count calories either. And I don't do low carb and eat pasta at least once a week. I'm almost to goal (nearly 30 lbs down since I started, 23 (I think) since starting MFP. I don't count macros other than fiber, which is a carb, but I don't care about total carbs.
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    ZeroTX wrote: »
    My wife and I embarked (again, for the umpteenth time in our overweight lives) on a new way of eating just about 2 months ago. We are doing low-carb. Before you freak out with the "Oh, I can't do that!" Well, I agree, it's tough to do a pure "Atkins" style low carb diet. What's not hard? Just stop eating SUGAR, BREAD, RICE, and PASTA. Limit (but do not eliminate) milk, beans, nuts. Eat a good quantity of FAT. Do not buy "low fat" products. Use real butter.

Results? My wife has lost 25lbs and I've lost over 20lbs. 2 months. No counting. The only thing I measure is the dropping weight. I eat TONS of vegetables every day. Yes, I also eat some pre-packaged protein bars (Quest or Atkins), which fends off any lingering need for sweets, and also serves as a good emergency meal. I'm never hungry.

I was inspired by "Fluffy," (Gabriel Iglesias) the comedian. He's low-carbing while on tour as a comedian. If he can do it, so can I. Thanks for reading.

-Z

Um, OK, good for you. But I prefer to "start as I mean to go on," which means no "new way of eating" that I don't see myself continuing for the rest of my life. I am eating all of those things you mentioned, including non-fat milk (which I've used for 30 years), and have lost 56 pounds. So I didn't lose that weight in two months, so what - I never planned to lose that fast. I'm losing at a healthy rate - four to six pounds a month. The longer I eat this way, the longer I weigh and log and see the numbers of calories and nutrients in my food, the more I am able to learn portion size and the calorie content of many foods, which to me means I will have plenty of knowledge that will make me able to maintain a healthy weight in the future. This hasn't been easy for me, and I am struggling right now, but cutting out foods that I like to eat isn't going to help me in the long run.

I agree, the reason you are getting so many negative replies is because your post sounds very holier-than-thou. There are a huge number of people on MFP who have lost their weight counting calories and eating carbs just fine, thank you very much. Had you approached it in another way, you might have gotten more positive comments.
  • operationketo
    operationketo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    There is a big misconception about CI/CO - that works for some, and a Low Carb/High Fat diet does put you into a deficit- but most of the weight loss has a lot to do with switching your metabolism to fat burning mode. It amazes me the amount of poo-pooing I see to those who decide to improve their health this way. Eat real foods. Find macros that work FOR YOU. And SUPPORT OTHERS in their goal to be healthy, even if it doesn't match your own meal/fitness plan. and GREAT WORK OP.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    There is a big misconception about CI/CO - that works for some, and a Low Carb/High Fat diet does put you into a deficit- but most of the weight loss has a lot to do with switching your metabolism to fat burning mode. It amazes me the amount of poo-pooing I see to those who decide to improve their health this way. Eat real foods. Find macros that work FOR YOU. And SUPPORT OTHERS in their goal to be healthy, even if it doesn't match your own meal/fitness plan. and GREAT WORK OP.

That's just nonsense. LCHF is a method of managing CICO, nothing else. CICO works for everyone as long as the figures on each side of the equation are accurate. Not everyone has success simply reducing portion size and counting calories, but weight management is entirely dependent on CICO.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options

That's just nonsense. LCHF is a method of managing CICO, nothing else. CICO works for everyone as long as the figures on each side of the equation are accurate. Not everyone has success simply reducing portion size and counting calories, but weight management is entirely dependent on CICO.

Seconded. There is nothing special about one food or another in relation to one's metabolism. You can't make your body burn fat differently by eating one set of foods versus eating another set of foods. I'll give ya that some foods are healthier than others and eating crap all day is probably a bad idea, but eating LCHF does not magically change the way your metabolism functions anymore than you can change how your scale takes energy from the batteries.
  • operationketo
    Options

Seconded. There is nothing special about one food or another in relation to one's metabolism. You can't make your body burn fat differently by eating one set of foods versus eating another set of foods. I'll give ya that some foods are healthier than others and eating crap all day is probably a bad idea, but eating LCHF does not magically change the way your metabolism functions anymore than you can change how your scale takes energy from the batteries. [/quote]

• operationketo
    Options
    clgaram720 wrote: »

Seconded. There is nothing special about one food or another in relation to one's metabolism. You can't make your body burn fat differently by eating one set of foods versus eating another set of foods. I'll give ya that some foods are healthier than others and eating crap all day is probably a bad idea, but eating LCHF does not magically change the way your metabolism functions anymore than you can change how your scale takes energy from the batteries.

Maybe I don't explain myself very well, I never post on these forums and this is why. The OP was simply sharing his success and then people chime in whether or not they agree on his method. I don’t recall him asking for advice? In any event, my point was that there are many ways individuals can achieve their goals. There is no one diet/WOE or exercise that works for everyone. And you certainly can adjust/switch your metabolism based on the foods you eat. There are numerous scientific studies. It’s fact. Again, one way to eat is not better than others- some will work differently for others. Let’s just support each other and not discredit someone else’s success.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Kilika735 wrote: »

Since you were at least one of the first to mention it.... I'll second it.

Way to go OP. If it's working for you and your wife then run with it, be happy you found something that is working, and keep at it.

And without any intention of the original poster being influenced by this statement... I offer the rest of you this while I avoid further spamming up this mans good feel thread.

There are fairly exacting sciences that come into play for the majority of weight loss issues. However the psychology of weight loss desires/triggers/mental state influences is very less exacting. As far as I'm concerned, unless it's unhealthy it's not my place to rain on anybodys parade. Regardless of why it's working, if it's helping someone reach a desired goal I'm all behind it.

Now excuse me as it's almost dinner time. This requires me to make a sacrifice to the God of Dairy, meditate and reflect on my Metabolic Fairy and my treatment of her, summon the spirits of Carb and Protein, and then make a sacrifice later in the day to Charmin, the divine entity of waste.

(Not a jab at anyone other than myself, but seriously people.... let the guy be happy he found a diet that is working for him and his wife!)
  • Kilika735
    Kilika735 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Now excuse me as it's almost dinner time. This requires me to make a sacrifice to the God of Dairy, meditate and reflect on my Metabolic Fairy and my treatment of her, summon the spirits of Carb and Protein, and then make a sacrifice later in the day to Charmin, the divine entity of waste.

(Not a jab at anyone other than myself, but seriously people.... let the guy be happy he found a diet that is working for him and his wife!)[/quote]

Hahaha! Well said! :D
  • ZeroTX
    ZeroTX Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    LaceyBirds wrote: »

Um, OK, good for you. But I prefer to "start as I mean to go on," which means no "new way of eating" that I don't see myself continuing for the rest of my life. I am eating all of those things you mentioned, including non-fat milk (which I've used for 30 years), and have lost 56 pounds. So I didn't lose that weight in two months, so what - I never planned to lose that fast. I'm losing at a healthy rate - four to six pounds a month. The longer I eat this way, the longer I weigh and log and see the numbers of calories and nutrients in my food, the more I am able to learn portion size and the calorie content of many foods, which to me means I will have plenty of knowledge that will make me able to maintain a healthy weight in the future. This hasn't been easy for me, and I am struggling right now, but cutting out foods that I like to eat isn't going to help me in the long run.

I agree, the reason you are getting so many negative replies is because your post sounds very holier-than-thou. There are a huge number of people on MFP who have lost their weight counting calories and eating carbs just fine, thank you very much. Had you approached it in another way, you might have gotten more positive comments.

What part of my original post was "holier-than-thou?" Please quote specific text, as I just re-read my post and I don't see it.... It was a positive post about a great success story so far and this is the 'Success Stories' forum... Where did I say anything that disparaged other methods of losing?

Thanks for all the kind words from others.... I hope whatever each of you is doing is successful. My point was that many people disparage the low-carb eating method and claim it doesn't work, when what they really mean is it doesn't work FOR THEM...Usually because they cannot give up bread/rice/sugar/cake/cookies, etc. I won't say I'll never eat a cookie again, but I sure as heck prefer the feeling of wearing smaller clothes and feeling better over the 2 minutes of enjoyment of that cookie.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    @ZeroTX Years ago my wife wanted to try the (old) Atkins diet. I really didn't want to lose weight at the time, but the more she talked about it the more I was thinking "I'm IN!" I mean steak, eggs, seafood, just about any of the good meats I've always loved. I'm thinking this is the perfect thing for me.

A week later I would have mugged someone in an alley to steal their loaf of bread. I cracked early on. My wife did lose weight with it, but had to give it up as her stomach had a hart time with all the fats.

So regardless of the what, they all take willpower if you ask me.
  • ZeroTX
    ZeroTX Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »

So regardless of the what, they all take willpower if you ask me.

Without a doubt.... I'm bridging the gap of sweets with Atkins and Quest protein bars (lots of delicious ones available). As for bread, I've been doing okay without it. I think it helps that we're not doing strict Atkins and that we're eating fruits, ALL vegetables, including carrots, and we're using the sweet (artificial) protein bars as "deserts" when needed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!