When you binge do you ...

Options
Do you start again tomorrow at the same calories allowed ?
Or
Do you deduct what you overate and end up eating much less the next day?

Thanks

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You log it and move on. Tomorrow is a new day.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Log and move on
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Log and move on

x2! There's going to be many more days ahead, leave yesterday where you left it. Good luck tomorrow, make good choices! xo
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Log and move on

x2! There's going to be many more days ahead, leave yesterday where you left it. Good luck tomorrow, make good choices! xo

Thanks...
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

This.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I personally work out how much I overate by and undereat a little more over the next couple of days to make up for it
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Log and move on. I may add an extra mile or two the next day but mostly, I don't give it too much thought.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Agree with logging and moving on. And don't waste time or energy beating yourself up. You cannot uneat the food, so just let it go. The being down on yourself is unproductive. Unless you enjoy feeling sorry for yourself, it helps nobody.

Eat, log, keep going.
  • Butterfly2022MD
    Butterfly2022MD Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    this was helpful for me as I just ate a ton of carbs. thanks
  • Tracy2162
    Tracy2162 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    New day new beginning. Yesterday is in the past
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Me, too.
  • Untilproud11
    Untilproud11 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Yes i had 1200 cals OVER !
    Thanks all of u
    I just don't want this to make me gain weight again :(
  • scorpcookie
    scorpcookie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Yes, I log to the best of my abilities.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Log and start fresh the next day. Trying to restrict further on future days just isn't very effective - it tends to lead to cycles of negativity and makes it more likely you'll go over again, and that runs the risk of turning one bad day into a bad week/month/year/forever.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I don't compensate by eating less the next day. I was stuck in a period of binging and restricting for a while there, so now I make it a point to get right back to my usual goal. It can get really ugly for me otherwise.
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Punishing yourself, either through your thoughts or actions will not get you to your goal. Learn from the experience, what was the trigger. make a plan for the future, move forward toward your goal.

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Log and start fresh the next day. Trying to restrict further on future days just isn't very effective - it tends to lead to cycles of negativity and makes it more likely you'll go over again, and that runs the risk of turning one bad day into a bad week/month/year/forever.

+1
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I'm on maintenance and whilst I certainly think it's good to simply log and move on - I do like to cut back somewhat the following day or two to balance things out slightly. This is personal preference and certainly not necessary however.

Example: Halloween. I ate 1200 calories over my maintenance calories. Because of this, I 'cut back' the following two days. I didn't totally 'make up' those 1200 calories but I felt a little bit better about over-indulging.

However, if you are already on a deficit, I wouldn't suggest further cutting to 'make things right'. You need enough energy!
  • Artemiris
    Artemiris Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Every time it happens that I eat more one day, the next day I think: ok, today I am going to eat 500/1000 calories less!!
    No way, it never happens. Actually, the more I tell myself that I have to restrict myself, the more I risk to over-eat again.

The curious thing is that, if I know that one day I will be going to eat more, I find it easier to eat less on a previous day.

The moral is: if you can plan it ahead is good. Otherwise, don't punish yourself and simply go back to your routine the day after.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I have only managed to eat significantly lower the next day once - it was very difficult and I don't think it is sustainable. I also felt like a naughty child the whole day, which is not a healthy mindset.

What works better for me is planning a big day and cutting back the week before it happens. That way you are eating mostly "saved" calories and you can enjoy a big indulgence without any guilt, which leads to more mindful eating and a much more pleasant experience as you are *allowed* to enjoy it.

I agree about logging and moving on, but not forgetting and moving on. Don't make the mistake of pretending it never happened. You want to remember it and learn from it, which is why you have to log every mouthful and consider why it happened in a calm and cool manner.