Please share your success tips

Options
I just looked at a good number of the before and after photos and I am in awe and inspired by all of the success stories. Please share how often you worked out, whether you lifted weights and/or did cardio, and what your typical diet is, or any other tips that you have.

Thanks!

Replies

• JLHNU212
    JLHNU212 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I am too new to offer any advice, but I would love to read what everyone else says!! :) This is a great idea for a topic... so thank you!
  • Butterfly2022MD
    Butterfly2022MD Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    does anyone with a success story want to share how often they worked out a week?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    discipline
    consistency
    patience
    does anyone with a success story want to share how often they worked out a week?

keep in mind that your diet is going to have a far more profound impact on weight management than your exercise. exercise is essential to your overall health and well being...and has the added benefit of making weight management easier because it increases your overall calorie requirements...but you can't out exercise your diet.

as an example of what I mean by that...I generally ride between 60 and 80 miles per week, lift a few days per week...walk my dog most days, chase around my kids and in general I'm pretty active outside of my office. I have lost weight, maintained weight, and gained weight doing the above...the difference in my weight being how much I was eating.

try to look at fitness for the sake of fitness and overall health and well being...in and of itself though, is not going to result in weight loss. i see loads of people every day at the gym who've been working their *kitten* off and have the fitness thing down...but their body's really haven't changed substantially because they still haven't figured out their diet and nutrition.
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Weigh your food.

Log honestly.
  • rebeccaEsmith
    rebeccaEsmith Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    You can exercise as much as you want but if you are not eating right what is the point!
  • Butterfly2022MD
    Butterfly2022MD Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    thanks. i never really thought about how important diet was. good advice.
  • MarlyIc1
    MarlyIc1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Eat clean, cut down on carbs, up proteins, veggies, herbs & spices, eat healthy fats, minimal sugars - couple pieces of fruit a day, teaspoon sugar/honey in your coffee/tea or not ( reward yourself sometimes off course otherwise if you restrict yourself completely you will end up binging), limit your alcohol and chose wisely (red wine is mine), drink your water, exercise 4-5 times per week, make sure you give your body a rest after hard workouts so it can repair itself, otherwise its too much stress on your body and you might get an injury (been there and its the worst and most depressing) and make sure you sleep well and minimum 7hrs. Hope this helps :)
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Weigh your food and don't give up, even if you gain for a few weeks. Don't demonize foods or food groups. Keep things interesting by cooking new foods and ingredients, taking a different exercise class, walking around some neighborhood you don't usually go to, etc
  • amynb524
    amynb524 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Weigh your food, log EVERYTHING and drink a LOT of water!
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I do both diet and exercise, but they are for very different reasons.

Dieting at a proper calorie deficit is the way I lose weight. I eat basically the same foods I did before, but I have changed portion size and frequency. Three days a week are my workout days and I try to eat a big protein entree on that day - tomorrow it'll be grilled chicken, sometimes it's tacos or burgers. I also eat less sweet foods - not because I have a dietary rule against them, but because sweets tend to be less filling for me, and I like to pack in foods that are really satisfying for a long time for the calories.

Exercise is for my fitness goals, not my weight loss goals. I do strength training to preserve muscle mass during the diet, and I do HIIT (cardio) for heart fitness. The last one has actually made a huge difference in how much energy I have and how active I can be.

Biggest random success tip: I plan every day's meals in advance so I know what I should eat at any time. It actually makes it super easy to stick to the plan, because there's no decision-making involved.
  • mimigingerbread
    mimigingerbread Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    1. Don't eat after supper
    2. Workout 1/2hr a day 5 days a week (at home using fitnessblender.com)
    3. Reasonable portion size

Down 50 since jan. About 5-10 more to go.
  • omnipotentmiku
    omnipotentmiku Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I used to go to the gym everyday but now it's kinda two or three times if I'm lucky cause of work and more importantly school. But I do make sure I'm walking and stretching plenty, and drinking lots of water. Basically the trick is staying busy and trying not to obsess over what you're eating as well as generally eating as needed and not when bored or emotional; identify your reason for eating things. You got this!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!