weight loss chart - it's an up and down thing

Options
JanetMMcC
JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
For anyone upset by day-to-day fluctuations in weight, here's the weight chart from my iPhone for the past almost-a-month since I've been tracking it. It goes up and down and up and down, but the general (and most important) trend is that it's going down.

Let's see if this uploading thing works. :)

I didn't realize the cropped bit from an iPhone screen grab would be so big. The wonders of electronics.

I started tracking food and exercise here on May 22. If I don't go down a pound-in-general in the next week, I may have to conclude that I should cut my goal base from 1200 calories. <sigh>

hyygkesf6wjg.jpg

Replies

• janiep81
    janiep81 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    This is great. Thanks for sharing. Is this under the iphone health app?
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Really puts it into perspective
  • JanetMMcC
    Options
    You're welcome. :) And yup, it's under the iphone health app, the little white square with a red heart. It'll also track a buncha other things. My current push for exercise started when I realized that a) it'd been tracking steps and miles without my knowing it since April, when I was assigned the phone, and b) just how little I was doing.

• JanetMMcC
    Options
    For an update, via MFP,

cffnqk7r7p65.png
  • IdLikeToLoseItLoseIt
    Options
    What a great example of patience, persistence, and great results! Thank you for sharing.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Crazy isn't it? I do the same thing in the Happy Scale app because I have an older iPhone.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I love the health app. :)
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    That's a great illustration of what weight loss looks like, and how patience can overcome the "stalls" (and how stalls don't really look like stalls at all once you see them from a wider perspective).
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same with my weight loss. Great work.
  • PaulBonham
    PaulBonham Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've been using an app called 'Monitor Your Weight' just for daily weight tracking (I only log my weight here on a weekly basis). The graph on there has both your target line on it and a trend line, so not only can you see the daily fluctuations, but the overall direction that you are heading. I wish mfp had the same, would be one less app to keep updated :smile:
  • Marcus_2015
    Marcus_2015 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I am sure that my graph looks the same, but yours looks choppy because you took so many measurements. The body fluctuates with waste, fluid, etc... Daily weight monitoring can mess you up in the head... :-)

The trend line is right on!

R
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    My weight went up, too. It was making me nuts. What worked quit working. Finally I got online and found a weight loss app that didn't automatically adjust to 1200, and lo and behold, the reason for the "plateau" was obvious. I would have to eat far less than I was to actually lose. Since the amount I would have to eat is truly not in the safe zone, I would have to lose the last 7 lbs with far more exercise than I was doing.

So, adjustment made now. I'm lucky because my job has eased up so I can afford the time needed to work out. But yes, it was a shocker to see that losing weight actually means that you can't lose weight predictably with the same formula as what worked for awhile.

Anyway, back on track now.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    There are some apps/programs that show trends when a person weights daily, and some really like the extra motivation that the trend shows.

I've seen swings of 4-5 lbs even in a single day. Now that I've accepted that can happen, I just watch the overall trend and go with it.