What's the deal with carbs

Options
Okay so for a few months now I have been trying and usually succeeding at keeping my carbs below 5p grams to potentially be in ketosia. Now I just kind of am sick of it and have room caloric ally for more food and would like to have the food be carbs since I do well hitting protein and fats usually. I am low on fats for past month and it was causing me to binge and crave fatty foods but now I am fixing that. I am wondering, how many grams of carbs do you guys eat per day on average? I let the idea of being below 50 grams steep in my mind but am wondering if going above that will slow any weight loss or cause gains.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    there's nothing inherently evil about carbs...they are just one of three macro-nutrients...there are tons of highly nutritious sources of carbohydrates...cutting carbs is just one of many ways to help people get into a deficiency of energy for weight loss.

most people who diet will naturally cut back on carbs as it tends to be the easier macro to flex. in and of itself, there is nothing magical though about cutting carbs...low carb and/or keto aren't remotely necessary to lose weight...carbs don't cause weight gain (fat gain).

keep in mind that when people substantially reduce carbohydrates, they have some pretty big losses early on...this is due to glycogen depletion (basically water loss)...when you eat carbs again, you will replenish your glycogen stores (essentially retain more fluid) which has weight that shows on the scale. the number on the scale is made up of many things, not just fat.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I would experiment and see what amount is the most satisfying to you.

When you re-introduce carbs you may see a gain, but it is most likely water retention.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    You will just have to experiment.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I don't do keto, but I keep my carbs to around 100-140g net. It's enough for me to incorporate fruits/vegetables/whole grains/legumes into my meals without compensating on other macros (my calorie target is fairly low and need to place a higher priority on making sure I'm meeting my fat and protein goals).

A lot of people on MFP recommend setting macro targets to the following when you're starting out:
    0.8g of protein per pound of body weight
    0.4-0.45g of fat per pound of body weight
    Filling the rest of your calories with carbs.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Some people din they do better on low-carb diets. They lose more and feel better after they go through what they call a "flu."

Me, I eat a very high-carb diet. Most of my intake is carbs. Even when I have protein, it is usually packaged inside a bunch of carbs. :) I lose weight this way and I feel good.

I never tried high-fat, though. I cannot compare the two.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I do best with lots of carbs....the day goes smoother, my thinking is clearer, and I get much more out of my workouts...I <3 my carbs!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Ketosis isn't really an on or off thing. If you are low in carbs, like when sleeping, one will make some ketones.

50g of carbs is the normal level where most people are relying mostly on ketones for fuel. You would have a pretty good reading (usually) on ketostix and feel the difference.

You will still make ketones at 100g of carbs, possibly 150g of carbs, or even over 200g of carbs if you are very active and time your carbs around intense exercise. Higher carb levels just mean fewer ketones so your body may switch back to using some glucose for fuel (rather than fat) for organs that can use fat/ketones or glucose.

Adding carbs shouldn't slow weight loss much, or at all in the long run, if you aren't adding calories or don't need very low carbs to address a health issue (those with insulin resistance often lose better on a LCHF diet). As others said, you may regain a bit of water weight, but I'd be very surprised if it was more than a pound or three.

Have you considered trying fat bombs or bullet proof coffee to raise your ats on days that you are low in fats? They could help.

I'm in ketosis too. When my calories are around 1500 per day, and I am losing well, my carbs are usually around 20g per day. Lately my carbs have crept up closer to 40g and I am eating more like 1800-2200 calories per day so weight loss has stopped. My macro ratios haven't really changed though. 70-75% fat, 20-25% protein and about 5% carbs, maybe as high as 10%.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I do very well on LCHF and have my 1500 cal diet set at 75 f, 25 p, and 5 carb, never getting more than 35 carb but I don't really try to hit the 5% I just eat veggies, fats and meat but I can tel you in my case upping my fats so high stopped all cravings, just had my 40 bday party and didn't touch the cake !!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I don't pay much attention to carbs, so I had a look at what I do consume. Over the past 30 days, on average, I consume about 200 grams/day. That's nice ... seems to work for me. :)

24 kg lost in 8 months. Can't complain.
  • Roony02
    Roony02 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Its just all about the type of carbs you eat isn't it. Take a Mars bar, 40g of carbs or you can eat 7 cups of broccoli. Its obvious which will fill you up more.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I don't do low carb well. My body thrives on carbs. But for me, calories = # 1, protein # 2 and then the rest.