Quit smoking too

Options
Hi. I've lost nearly 50lbs and stopped smoking 3 weeks ago. Going well so far with a little 5lb gain - mostly due to my treating myself in the early days!

Back on track now with 16ln to go by the end of the year and looking for support along the way please!

UK based 47 (eek) year old lady

Replies

• TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Great news! I quit 7 years ago and I reflect on it every day to remind myself not to light up again. All it takes is one cigarette and I'll be a full time smoker within a week.
  • PaulBonham
    PaulBonham Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Well done! I can trace my weight gain back to when I gave up smoking, I wish I had kept it under control at the time...

I would say that losing the cigarettes is more important than the weight, but if you can manage to do both then you will have done fantastically.

Best of luck!!!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have used a vaporizor to quit....almost a year in no extra weight still 60lbs down. Congrats.
  • Beploveshomer
    Beploveshomer Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I quit 3 days ago, oh it is hell. Trying desperately not to stuff my face with everything I see. Already have a 1.5 lb gain, but I REFUSE to gain more. I'm gonna exercise like crazy!! I'm with ya!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You've got this. I quit in July of last year, after 30 years, no aids and didn't gain a pound.
  • knelson095
    knelson095 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I am using a vaporizer to quit. When I started with it and ditched the cigs I had a stall for about 3 weeks. Calorie intake was the same, even a little less, so it might have been a coincidence. It was hard even with the vapor as a crutch, so kudos to you and good luck!! My mom just quit as well, after being a smoker for about 40 years. Congrats on the weight loss as well!!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on ditching the ciggies! :)
    This is a huge achievement. Don't sweat the 5lb gain - you're a human being and you are clearly making fantastic life choices right now. Keep it up!
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Check put whyquit.com It helped me immeasurably when I quit. It's kind of like the MFP forums, but for smoking. Keep up the great work!
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I have used a vaporizor to quit....almost a year in no extra weight still 60lbs down. Congrats.

Me too! So love my vaporizer, I'm on the second to last step down in nicotine level, gonna switch to the 3mg next week, then onto zero and freedom!!!
  • Cydney0710
    Cydney0710 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks lovely people
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Losing the cigarette is way more important than the 5 lbs. Besides, you clearly know how to lose weight, else you wouldn't have been able to do 60 lbs :smile: Wishing you the very best!
  • rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Awesome job, you know this is one of the best things you can do for yourself!

I am also a quitter, 10+ years ago now. It's no longer a daily struggle, and I can congratulate myself for staying the course!
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    From a fellow ex-smoker, way to go! No point in losing weight if you're going to just keep smoking. Why not bump your calories to maintenance for the next couple week and just focus on getting past the withdrawal stage? Might help.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, I'm an ex as of 2000. Don't worry about the weight for now, there's time for both. Soon you will start to smell other smokers, that was when staying quit became real easy for me, those folks stunk, as I had too.
  • Beploveshomer
    Beploveshomer Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    From a fellow ex-smoker, way to go! No point in losing weight if you're going to just keep smoking. Why not bump your calories to maintenance for the next couple week and just focus on getting past the withdrawal stage? Might help.

That's a great idea. Less guilt that way I'd think...
  • rugget23
    rugget23 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Today, I have quit smoking after 25yrs....I hope this goes well....
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on the quitting smoking.
    It's quite a feat....and my best suggestion is to join a support forum like this one, only for quitters of the nasty nicotine.
    I'm coming up on 2yrs off the dreadful things.....I joined quit train.com. Lovely people, fantastic info!
    Boy....I wish I had trained myself 2yrs ago to not think of 'treat' as a food item and instead bought new clothes or books or heck....vacations! Maybe then I wouldn't be dealing with the extra poundage.
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    rugget23 wrote: »
    For you too: quit train.com. Great support forum for folks who are divorcing the cancer sticks.

• wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    rugget23 wrote: »

You've got it!

But if you start to struggle with it, don't give up. I'd recommend a book = The Easy Way to Quit Smoking by Allen Carr. On March 8, 2014, i had my last cigarette after 18 years of smoking about a pack a day. This book gave me the insights to make it work. From the get go, i didn't have frustration or anxiety about life without another cigarette. I don't know that it was "easy" - but it was empowering.

The book doesn't use any gimmicks, it just helps you understand the psychology of smoking and the various tricks we use to justify the habit, which turns into frustration when we try to quit without acknowledging all that baggage. Think of it as "deprogramming" someone who has been brainwashed by a cult, and in this case the cult is the marketing and practices that help the tobacco industry encourage smart people to make poor decisions.

I found the book at a local book store, it cost about 15 bucks, and i have saved... the cost of a pack of cigarettes each day for the last 1 1/2 years or so, my increasing health, my happiness, and my pride!