What in the world.....? Fruit?

Options
Hello my fellow fitness pals :) I have an inquiry on fruit!

At the beginning of the week I went shopping for some fruit. I wound up getting a variety of things, but what I have the most difficulty with are the melons or skinned fruit. For instance, this morning I went to cut open one of the grapefruits I had purchased and GROSS it was dried and shriveled on the inside!

I don't know about you all, but that's almost enough to turn me away from grapefruit for awhile! So is biting into that one gross grape of the bunch or cutting open an orange to find almost no juice. So please help! I don't want to hate grapefruit or cantelope or oranges because I truly love them (when they're good!)

So does anyone have a trick up their sleeve on picking out the good fruit? (especially grapefruit, oranges, cantelope, and watermelons)

Replies

• freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Yes, they should feel heavy in your hand. If you pick it up and it feels light put it back. Melons are a flip of the coin, I used to think I could thump them and tell, but anymore I just grab one and hope.
  • trac3
    trac3 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm a PIA ~ I always make the produce guy open them up and let me try before I buy!!! Produce is too expensive to be tossing!!:grumble:

For grapefruit/oranges I always look for a smooth, almost shiny top/bottom ~ it usually means the fruit is full of juice, and smell it! That's what I picked up from the produce people when they were showing me what looked good ~ the real bumpy, peely type skins are usually dry and yucky inside!

I try to get a lot of my fruit from Costco ~ I take it back if it's bad, and they exchange or return my money, no problem..... good luck with the fruit quest!:laugh: :smile:
  • MrsSki
    MrsSki Posts: 196
    Options
    I smell fruit when I buy it, if I don't smell anything, I don't buy it. Also oranges and grape fruits should feel heavy. And the thumping on melons technique sometimes works, sometimes not. Where do you buy your fruit? Is there somewhere else you can go? I go to one grocery store of almost everything, and another just for produce.
  • hallie1107
    hallie1107 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    One thing I have learned about picking a good watermelon (because they are my fav), the bigger the yellow spot is on the "bottom", the sweeter the fruit will be. That yellow spot is where the melon sat on the ground and ripened. I won't buy any of the "personal sized" ones because the don't have any spots at all. Thumping does work on melons but you need to know what you're listening for. Good luck!! :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!