Matcha tea?

Options
Hi guys
I know to lose weight the only real answer is CICO and there is know miracle cure, but I wondered if anyone out there has tried matcha tea as a weight loss and energy booster? I've been reading a lot about it lately and there are supposed to be some really great benefits to it too. Usually I feel pretty sleepy despite eating the right foods and getting enough sleep so the alertness boost it's supposed to give you could come in very handy. If anybody's has tried it and would give me some advice on taking it that'd be much appreciated.

Replies

• misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    You answered the question in your first sentence:

"I know to lose weight the only real answer is CICO and there is know [sic] miracle cure"

Most "weight loss teas" are laxatives. Scams.

If you like tea, drink it. But it's not magic.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Unless it has natural stimulants, it won't be an energy booster. The extra liquid might help you feel fuller and be a weight loss tool in that sense, but it's no "booster". I like tea mainly because it has virtually no calories and is different to plain water.
  • helenmelon17
    helenmelon17 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It's not just a 'weight loss' tea, I don't buy into them. See below:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/8-wonders-of-matcha-green-tea.html
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    It's just green tea; from googling, it seems to have as much caffeine as a cup of coffee. If you like the flavor, go for it. If you prefer coffee, drink coffee. Beyond the caffeine, it's not going to do much for your weight loss.
  • helenmelon17
    helenmelon17 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I hate coffee and could do with a natural caffeine boost so I might give it a try
  • gillexplores
    gillexplores Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I personally drink it, not because I think it helps me lose weight, but simply because I think it has some great healthy properties, it makes me feel good, and I really like the taste. You'd have to try it to see if it's for you. (Matcha green tea lattes with almond or soy milk are my favourite thing ever)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options

And now BB.com has lost all credibility to me. They literally use Dr.Oz's website as a source of information.

OP, it looks like a lot of caffeine like others said. If your body response to caffeine (not everyone gets a boost in energy from caffeine - I know I don't) it can be a good way to get it. If you don't mind me asking, how many calories are you eating? Are you exercising?
  • Vanyahiril
    Vanyahiril Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    It's just green tea. You consume the whole leaf, so you're getting all the vitamins and minerals from it. I drink it, but I just really like tea. It does have a little caffine, of course, but not as much as coffee.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

And now BB.com has lost all credibility to me. They literally use Dr.Oz's website as a source of information.

OP, it looks like a lot of caffeine like others said. If your body response to caffeine (not everyone gets a boost in energy from caffeine - I know I don't) it can be a good way to get it. If you don't mind me asking, how many calories are you eating? Are you exercising?

+1
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Hi guys
    I know to lose weight the only real answer is CICO and there is know miracle cure, but I wondered if anyone out there has tried matcha tea as a weight loss and energy booster? I've been reading a lot about it lately and there are supposed to be some really great benefits to it too. Usually I feel pretty sleepy despite eating the right foods and getting enough sleep so the alertness boost it's supposed to give you could come in very handy. If anybody's has tried it and would give me some advice on taking it that'd be much appreciated.

you answered the question in your opening sentence. You need a calorie deficit to lose weight and a tea is not going to do that, so the answer is no.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I drink matcha al the time because I love it! But, it does nothing for weight loss...seriously nothing.
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Matcha is the transliteration of "finely ground powder tea" in Chinese and Japanese. Although the way it's processed is more complicated than ordinary green tea powder (and more expensive too), it's still "just green tea."

What I can tell you from my personal experience is, I would never struggle with weight nor feel tired for the past 10+ years if it's really that magical. It's just tea. Period. Taste good though!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Matcha is the transliteration of "finely ground powder tea" in Chinese and Japanese. Although the way it's processed is more complicated than ordinary green tea powder (and more expensive too), it's still "just green tea."

What I can tell you from my personal experience is, I would never struggle with weight nor feel tired for the past 10+ years if it's really that magical. It's just tea. Period. Taste good though!

Exactly. Real matcha is just ground up green tea.
    It's tasty! It makes a fabulous green tea latte. But it's not a weight loss tool any more than any other caffeine.

Keep an eye on "matcha" lattes though. Starbucks adds a crap ton of sugar to the powder.
    (42 grams in addition to the milk sugar)

http://www.starbucks.com/menu/drinks/tea/green-tea-latte#size=195172&milk=63&sweetened=0