TDEE?

Options
Does anyone follow the TDEE idea? I did the math and came up with a TDEE of 1600 cals. Therefore eating less than that would create a deficit and weight loss right?

Replies

• leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Erm no i think thats way to low... what are your stats and do you exercise? my TDEE is about 2300, i have a 25% deficit and eat around 1700 calories a day i train 4 times a week doing body combat...
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Erm no i think thats way to low... what are your stats and do you exercise? my TDEE is about 2300, i have a 25% deficit and eat around 1700 calories a day i train 4 times a week doing body combat...

Without knowing her stats, we don't know if that's correct. She may only have a few pounds to lose, and TDEE is higher for those who weigh more/are more active.

OP, yes. Try it out for a month and adjust if needed then.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    my 30 day avg TDEE is 2030 and I have been at a desk job this past month. I try to stick to 1640 calories a day.
  • madkcole
    madkcole Posts: 110 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I am also calculating my daily calorie goal using the TDEE method. I found a couple of good websites that may help explain it better than I could. From http:/www.fitnesshealth101.com/fitness/weight-loss/bmr (Harris-Benedict) and Also from http://www.dietcombat.com/recommended-calorie-intake

Here's how I do it (if it helps): I calculated my BMR to be 1721. The formula to calculate your BMR, according to these websites is (655 + (4.35 x weight in pounds) + (4.7 x height in inches) - (4.7 x age in years))

Using the formulas in these websites, I calculated my TDEE by multiplying my BMR (1721) by 1.375 (light exercise), which gives me a total daily calorie intake goal of 2366. To create a calorie deficit, you then multiply your TDEE by 20 (or more) percent (2366*.20) and subtract that amount from your TDEE. My daily calorie goal is 1893. That's the total daily calorie intake I aim for every day. I suppose you could increase your deficit if you wanted to, but I think the important thing to remember is that your daily calorie intake should not be lower than your BMR. At least, that's what these websites recommend. Of course, everyone is different and unless you have an expert evaluate you personally, these websites won't be 100% exact. But, for me, it was a good place to start.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    What are your stats?
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    OP are the stats on your profile correct? You are 5'7, 150 pounds, and according to your ticker looking to lose 40 pounds?

I follow the TDEE - 20% method. I'm 5'6 and weigh 160 pounds and I eat 1700 calories a day, my TDEE is around 2200 calories.
  • delsey2007
    delsey2007 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7, 27 yo, 202 lbs.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Your TDEE, if you did ZERO exercise is 2058. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    With those stats, it sounds like you are confusing BMR with TDEE. Use the scooby link that lifting4lis posted to calculate your TDEE.
  • delsey2007
    Options
    The formula for women:

10 x weight (kg) + 6.25 x height (cm) – 5 x age (y) – 161 = REE

So why are the two so very different?

he formula I used was:
  • delsey2007
    Options
    Typos ^ that's the formula I used
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    That formula has no activity built in. Your TDEE includes the activity that you do during the day.

Also, what is REE?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    delsey2007 wrote: »
    The formula for women:

10 x weight (kg) + 6.25 x height (cm) – 5 x age (y) – 161 = REE

So why are the two so very different?

he formula I used was:

That does sound more like BMR, as your stats are quite similar to mine. Use the link above to find your TDEE, hen take 20% off of that and that's what you'll eat.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Yes, those are the formulas. Right now while I'm losing I just try to adhere to what MFP suggested. But I know my current TDEE and I also calculated the TDEE of my future goal weight. (I find the latter really useful for days I've over eaten on my MFP goals. I'll take the calories for the whole week, including that over run, and compare them to a full week of TDEE maintenance at my future goal weight & its still always under! Those posts where people claim one binge made them gain back fat weight drive me CRAZY... not good science at all!)
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Edited because original response was based on stats in OPs profile, which I see now are not current.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options

A TDEE of 1600 isn't unrealistic.

I'm 5'2 at around 123 lbs. My TDEE is around 1700 ish - that's with 4 weight training sessions a week. I am mostly sedentary throughout the day. 1600-1700 for a small petite woman is actually quite common. I WISH I DID have a higher TDEE ;)
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

A TDEE of 1600 isn't unrealistic.

I'm 5'2 at around 123 lbs. My TDEE is around 1700 ish - that's with 4 weight training sessions a week. I am mostly sedentary throughout the day. 1600-1700 for a small petite woman is actually quite common. I WISH I DID have a higher TDEE ;)

She is 5'7" and 202 lbs though...
    That formula looks like BMR not TDEE. It gives me a number just over 1200 and my TDEE is nearly 2100. I am 5'0' and 115 lbs.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    That formula has no activity built in. Your TDEE includes the activity that you do during the day.

Also, what is REE?

Resting Energy Expenditure

95069916.png
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Do you mean TDEE-20% = 1700. Then that sounds right.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    TDEE can be estimated using one of the many calculators online. Here's a good one, for example:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

However, TDEE can really only be calculated based on your real-world observed results. The formula is fairly simple*:

TDEE = ([Weight Lost in lbs x 3500]/[Number of Days]) + [Avg Calories Consumed]

So, for example, let's say that, over the past 30 days, you lost 3 pounds and ate an average of 1600 calories per day. Your TDEE in that case would be ((3 x 3500) / 30) + 1600 = 1950.

*Now, the above formula has a few limitations, for the really geekily-inclined. They are:
    • Your accuracy is only as good as your food logging. Food logging is never 100% accurate, even if you weigh every morsel that crosses your lips on a food scale and use the correct database entry for everything.
    • The start and end date for this calculation are, as you may have noticed, arbitrary. For instance, in the above example, I used 30 days. But which 30 days? Did I start it on a high fluctuation and end it on a low one? You'll get a different TDEE depending on the time period you use. Try calculating it for a range of start and end dates, and see the range.
    • TDEE isn't a single number. You move a different amount each day, so you consume a different amount of energy each day. Everyone has a TDEE range, not a single TDEE. What you're looking for is a reasonable estimate of your average TDEE.
    • If you're losing weight, your TDEE range will be declining along with your weight. Your TDEE from a few months ago may not be all that relevant anymore.
    • If you change up your exercise routine or activity level, your TDEE will change, too.
    • The above formula assumes that 100% of your weight loss is from fat and none from muscle. Realistically, that's never going to happen, even if you're lifting weights like crazy. Most people lose at least a little bit of muscle mass along with their fat loss. A pound of fat requires a deficit of 3500 calories to burn, but a pound of muscle requires only 600 calories. If you're far away from your goal weight and still have a lot of fat to lose, the 3500 formula should be close enough. But if you're closer to your goal weight and eating at a fairly steep deficit, you may be losing more muscle than you think. Your actual TDEE calculation might be more accurate if you factored in a ratio of, say, 75% fat loss to 25% muscle loss, in which case the formula would be: ([Weight Lost in lbs x 2775]/[Number of Days]) + [Avg Calories Consumed].

...Or you could just get a Fitbit and assume that the number it gives you for daily calorie burn (i.e. TDEE) will be, if not perfectly accurate, at least close enough.