WEDDING DIET-HELP!

Options
Hi All!

I'm reaching out to see the best "wedding diet" advice you might have for my fiance' and I. We're getting married in 8 months and are looking to lose about 20 pounds each. Any advice on maybe food choices, workout ideas, things to avoid, etc. We are not looking to drop the weight quickly but to drop it progressively and keep it off for the big day.

I appreciate the help in advance!! Thank you!

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Don't diet, make a lifestyle change. Eat at a moderate deficit, move more and you'll lose.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    do the following:

set MFP for a one pound per week loss
    get a food scale and weight all solid foods
    accurately log everything that you eat and make sure that you use the correct MFP database entries
    find a form of exercise that you like and do it
    make sure that you are getting adequate nutrition and meeting macro minimums
    realize that no foods are bad and you can still enjoy the foods you like, like pizza, ice cream, bagels, etc, just make sure that you are staying in your calorie deficit, getting adequate nutrition, and hitting macros.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Best advice is to plug your stats into this website, eat to your calorie goal, and succeed. Personally, I think adding exercise is a great way to build new habits and keep you motivated whether it's walking, jogging, rowing, lifting weights, whatever.

One thing that I like to do is preplan a day and see where I'm at. Then, if there's calories left over, I can add a serving of ice cream in at the end of the day.

Also really recommend a food scale; it was a wake up call just how off my eyeballing was. I'm not good at guessing portion sizes.

I also personally really like lifting weights; and I'm loving the changes in my body because I'm maintaining my muscle mass as I'm losing.

Some things to read to help you get started:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

And not MFP, but this is what got me started lifting:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • diene6
    diene6 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    mcorso55 wrote: »
    Hi All!

I'm reaching out to see the best "wedding diet" advice you might have for my fiance' and I. We're getting married in 8 months and are looking to lose about 20 pounds each. Any advice on maybe food choices, workout ideas, things to avoid, etc. We are not looking to drop the weight quickly but to drop it progressively and keep it off for the big day.

I appreciate the help in advance!! Thank you!

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Sad to say that I have seen too many times where people dieted to look great in their wedding photos and then put it all back on and then some afterwards. I know weddings can make you very goal oriented, but if you can embrace the mindset of sustainable changes instead of aggressive dieting you increase your chances of looking good in photos in the years AFTER the wedding too. Good luck!
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    do the following:

accurately log everything that you eat and make sure that you use the correct MFP database entries
    realize that no foods are bad and you can still enjoy the foods you like, like pizza, ice cream, bagels, etc, just make sure that you are staying in your calorie deficit, getting adequate nutrition, and hitting macros.

+1

Do it for yourselves, not just the wedding. The wedding is one day. Your focus should be on the rest of your life.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yep - low carb for life!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people think that dieting for a wedding is different from dieting any other time.

Follow ndj1979's advice and you'll be fine.
  • mcorso55
    mcorso55 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I really appreciate the advice, information, and encouragement. We're looking for a lifestyle change but our wedding was a wake up call to start NOW rather than tomorrow. :smile:

Thanks again. Keep the info coming if there is more to teach me!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Don't diet, make a lifestyle change. Eat at a moderate deficit, move more and you'll lose.
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    do the following:

auddii wrote: »
    Best advice is to plug your stats into this website, eat to your calorie goal, and succeed. Personally, I think adding exercise is a great way to build new habits and keep you motivated whether it's walking, jogging, rowing, lifting weights, whatever.

One thing that I like to do is preplan a day and see where I'm at. Then, if there's calories left over, I can add a serving of ice cream in at the end of the day.

Also really recommend a food scale; it was a wake up call just how off my eyeballing was. I'm not good at guessing portion sizes.

I also personally really like lifting weights; and I'm loving the changes in my body because I'm maintaining my muscle mass as I'm losing.

Some things to read to help you get started:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

And not MFP, but this is what got me started lifting:
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

All of this is golden advice.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I don't understand why people think that dieting for a wedding is different from dieting any other time.

Ditto. Being a bride doesn't make you special.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options

Ditto. Being a bride doesn't make you special.

Um, yeah it kind of does. The wedding day is all about the bride. I'm not sure what you mean by that, but I felt damn special on my wedding day??? In regards to dieting, that should not be just about the wedding, it should (as many others have said) be a lifestyle change.

Good luck OP on your upcoming nuptials, and your "lifestyle change"
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Follow ndj1979's advice and you'll be fine.

This^

It doesn't matter what the initial motivation is......it just matters that they are here.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I figure this is a golden time to go for long walks together. A great habit to get in to and a chance to unwind from the day.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I also suggest if you eat out together a lot that you pursue the menu online and pre-pick your meals.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I also suggest if you eat out together a lot that you pursue the menu online and pre-pick your meals.

This. I also find it much much easier to choose chain restaurants that are nation wide because those are the ones most likely to have well calculated and verified listings in the database, due to common and widespread use. I'm a big fan of chili's, they have a low calorie menu, as does Applebees(which would be cool if the one near me didn't suck) and Red Robin, though at the latter you have to formally request it and hope the waitress knows what you are talking about... that one was awkward.