Sabotaging myself when the weight starts to come off

Options
My greatest enemy is self-sabotage, and one of the ways I do that is to sort of freak out when the weight starts to come off and gain back when I've lost. This has happened to me over and over and over again.

I think there is two reasons I do this:

First, I don't know how to deal with myself and the world around me as a thinner person. Life looks different, feels different, the world responds different. It feels overwhelming.

Second, I know longer have something "I have to do." I no longer have this huge, gargantuan task that always looms over my life if thinking about, dealing with, etc. my weight is not there. If that task is under control, it's no longer my excuse for not doing other things, whether it's going on a date or having fun at a water park or even putting myself out there for my career accomplishments. My weight allows me to safely hold back on life, and without that excuse the safety net is gone.

Can anyone relate to this? If so, how do you manage?

Replies

• nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I can relate - I keep doing this to myself even when I've only lost 2-3 pounds. I have a lot of moments where I'm all gung-ho and enthusiastic and motivated (from nowhere) but I also have a lot of moments when I just think "eh, it does't matter if I've got a surplus for the week" (though it does).

I've not yet learned how to control this fear (it is a fear) but I'm actually seeking help for it (and for other things, but it's a big part of how I handle my life). I'm not sure what kind of suggestion I would have for you, as nothing has truly worked for me - however, I seem to be able to keep the positive momentum going when I write about it; either on here (in a blog post) or in a private journal. But, you are not alone.

Best of luck! Feel free to add me.
  • SkinnyCJK
    SkinnyCJK Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I think I may eventually end up going to get help with it, also. It was actually helpful to identify the problem and write it down.
    nyponbell wrote: »
    I can relate - I keep doing this to myself even when I've only lost 2-3 pounds. I have a lot of moments where I'm all gung-ho and enthusiastic and motivated (from nowhere) but I also have a lot of moments when I just think "eh, it does't matter if I've got a surplus for the week" (though it does).

I've not yet learned how to control this fear (it is a fear) but I'm actually seeking help for it (and for other things, but it's a big part of how I handle my life). I'm not sure what kind of suggestion I would have for you, as nothing has truly worked for me - however, I seem to be able to keep the positive momentum going when I write about it; either on here (in a blog post) or in a private journal. But, you are not alone.

Best of luck! Feel free to add me.