HELP I hate most vegetables!

I am very picky when it comes to veg I only eat carrots, parsnips, and cauliflower when I HAVE to. Does anyone have any nice ways in how to prepare veg which will hopefully make me like them!!!

Replies

• Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    have you ever tasted ratatouille?
  • Chloeele17
    Chloeele17 Posts: 8 Member
    Nope I have never actually had the chance to try that!
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Chloeele17 wrote: »
    Nope I have never actually had the chance to try that!

pick a recipe and try it. If you don't like it, then try Sicilian caponata. If you don't like even that, you are hopeless :smile:
  • Chloeele17
    edited November 2015
    Haha thank you for the help! :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    www.mccormick.com has some great recipes. I rarely eat veggies raw. Most of the time they are sauteed
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    try zucchini. It has almost no taste and the texture is crispih raw to mashed potato like when cooked. Use your favorite strong flavor profile. Mexican,Thai,itialian. Or you could try cooking it with lots of the veg you do like and increase the proportions of zuke to veg as you get used to it. Good luck.
  • Chloeele17
    I will definitely try your ideas thank you for your help! :)
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Try roasting your veggies. They taste really great that way!
  • Chloeele17
    Thank you Kellie :)
  • nicolem021985
    nicolem021985 Posts: 27 Member
    I agree with Kelly. I'm not a veggie person either, but I now roast my veggies with lots of garlic and a splash of olive oil and salt and pepper. They are amazing done that way!
  • Chloeele17
    Yeah I do that often when I actually have veg haha!
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Thank you Kellie :)

:)
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    edited November 2015
    Eat your Broccoli ......
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Cauliflower pizza crust: http://www.endofthreefitness.com/practically-paleo-cauliflower-pizza-crust/
    Cauliflower bread sticks: http://ifoodreal.com/cauliflower-breadsticks-recipe/

Have you tried spaghetti squash? I tried it a couple weeks ago, and I'm hooked. Use it in a dish like you would pasta. It's sweet so it doesn't taste like a vegetable to many people.

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-spaghetti-squash-in-the-oven-178036
    https://www.cabotcheese.coop/spaghetti-squash-au-gratin

Mostly though I don't cook vegetables as a side. My son is a vegetarian, so I cook a lot of vegetable based main dishes.

I'll make something like this: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/coconut-red-lentil-curry-236684
    and add whatever is in the fridge, cauliflower, zucchini, carrots, yellow squash, green beans etc.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I also think roasting is a great way to get into vegetables.

Also, try eating them in a stir fry or making a pasta sauce with lots of vegetables or a soup/stew. That way they are mixed up with other ingredients.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited November 2015
    Find the ones you do like and eat those. There are many many many vegetables and you only need 3 to 5 servings a day. ... that's 1-1/2 cups cooked vegetables for 3 servings a day. If you are eating leafy veggies, those are 2 cups per servings if eaten raw. Uncooked veggies are usually 1 cup per servings ...

And remember, potatoes are vegetables and healthy for you ... it's the stuff people put on or in their potatoes that is not always healthy.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Treat new flavours and textures as an adventure.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/11/cauliflower-tots.html

Whole roasted cauliflower.

I love carrots and parsnips too. These are pretty strong flavoured vegetables so I think you can extend your interest to foods like cabbage, turnip, and kohlrabi.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I am very picky when it comes to veg I only eat carrots, parsnips, and cauliflower when I HAVE to. Does anyone have any nice ways in how to prepare veg which will hopefully make me like them!!!

There are huge differences in single veggies depending upon how they are prepared. So it really benefits you to try each veggie several different ways.

Example: green beans

Canned - to me these are just nasty

Frozen - A step or 2 up from canned. The flavor is good, but texture is not quite right.

Fresh, steamed - awesome!
    Fresh, grilled - also excellent!

I agree with other posters.........try roasting veggies. I'm normally not a fan of Brussels sprouts....pretty good roasted.
  • Chloeele17
    Thank you everyone for your input o:):)
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    TeaBea wrote: »

There are huge differences in single veggies depending upon how they are prepared. So it really benefits you to try each veggie several different ways.

Example: green beans

Canned - to me these are just nasty

Frozen - A step or 2 up from canned. The flavor is good, but texture is not quite right.

Fresh, steamed - awesome!
    Fresh, grilled - also excellent!

I agree with other posters.........try roasting veggies. I'm normally not a fan of Brussels sprouts....pretty good roasted.

Blanch your green beans for a couple mins in some mildly salted water, put them in an ice water bath, then sautee in a little butter and garlic. Delicious! :)