Squatting correctly

Options
I am feeling like i don't do them correctly. I want to do them for my butt but i dont feel the burn there. I feel it in my quads. I focus my weight on my heels and keep my back straight. I try different varieties of squats. Any certain suggestions on types or ways to squat.

Replies

• FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    Try bulgarian split squats! Those hit the booty hardcore! It took me a long time before I could finally activate my glutes for regular barbel squats. It's all about the mind muscle connection. You have to think about the muscles you want to work, and activate them. My quads will still take over everything if I let them.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I am feeling like i don't do them correctly. I want to do them for my butt but i dont feel the burn there. I feel it in my quads.

You can't judge form by the burn. If your form is good, your glutes are working properly. If you're not sure of your form, video it, post the video here, or have a trainer check your form.

Are you trying to make your butt bigger or smaller?
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    I assume we're talking body weight squats? Are you going deep enough? Hard to get glute involvement unless you break parallel (and if you're doing bodyweight, I'd go as close to *kitten*-to-grass as your flexibility allows). One of the keys to using your glutes is to tighten them hard before you squat -- envision sucking your butt cheeks together before you squat. Keep those suckers tight all the way down. Then, coming back up out of the hole, concentrate on your butt pulling everything else up with it. Don't rock forward onto your toes to make it easier -- that shifts the load onto your quads.
  • jodidari
    jodidari Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I had this issue too! I can do about 200 squats, although I've done research to ensure I have proper form. Try sumo squats, jump squats or bulgarian split squats (these really get me). If none of these are for you, google other exercises which focus on that area. Or add some weights or pick up speed. Also I heard it helps to pull in the stomach while tightening the butt cheeks down and relaxing when you're up.
  • MaeRay007
    MaeRay007 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    I am feeling like i don't do them correctly. I want to do them for my butt but i dont feel the burn there. I feel it in my quads.

You can't judge form by the burn. If your form is good, your glutes are working properly. If you're not sure of your form, video it, post the video here, or have a trainer check your form.

Yup! Just cause you can't feel it doesn't mean you aren't hitting those muscles. Plus there are many different variations of squats to hit your glutes more. Try messing with your stance but still keeping good form.

Personally I set aside a glute day in my training where I really focus on the booty! I don't squat on this day but work on accessory movements and do a lot of resistance band training to really target it.

Good luck!
  • dwick1017
    dwick1017 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Try doing lunges or step ups instead. It is a common misconception that squats are the best exercise for the glutes. While they are great, they are more of a total leg movement, which is why you feel them in your quads.
  • Nicole3043
    Nicole3043 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Squats can do more harm than good if your form isn't correct for sure. The #1 mistake that most people make while squatting is allowing their knees to go way over their toes upon execution. Watch this and see if you can get some good results. :smile:

http://www.sportsnutritionminute.com/are-you-making-this-mistake-when-doing-squats/
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Nicole3043 wrote: »
    Squats can do more harm than good if your form isn't correct for sure. The #1 mistake that most people make while squatting is allowing their knees to go way over their toes upon execution. Watch this and see if you can get some good results. :smile:

http://www.sportsnutritionminute.com/are-you-making-this-mistake-when-doing-squats/

That is a load of hogwash. Simple understanding of body mechanics will show that your knees go over toes for squats.

http://www.biomechfit.com/2012/02/09/3-squatting-myths-that-refuse-to-die

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I am feeling like i don't do them correctly. I want to do them for my butt but i dont feel the burn there. I feel it in my quads. I focus my weight on my heels and keep my back straight. I try different varieties of squats. Any certain suggestions on types or ways to squat.

There's no way we can tell you without seeing a video. Having a "burn" is not the sign of good exercise or the sign that you're doing something correctly, or lack of burn incorrectly.

The OP indicates that she's not sure if she's doing something correctly or not and most of the posts are, do xyz variations instead? She might be doing squats just fine but because modern media has so many people convinced that if you're not puking, hurting, or have a "burn" you're not exercising right and the OP seems to feel she's not doing it right.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    http://youtu.be/fjyt91VIR9c
    This is a discussion of squatting correctly.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    OP, definitely post a video and you'll get the feedback you need.

I also don't feel a "burn" when I do squats (don't have much DOMS, either). My squat sets were 145 lbs today and I don't feel anything like that. Everything was engaged and worked hard, though. Don't make pain a goal.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Curty squats with resistance are ones I use alot with clients because they are usually directly felt in the glutes.
    Personally I've done ATG squats since starting and my behind was flat starting out.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options

Actually this has been debunked by several Journals of Medicine and Sport physiology. Climb some stairs. Does your knee go past your toe? I've never seen anyone climb stairs (which uses almost all the lower half of the body) where their focus is NOT to let their knee go past their toes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    make sure you squeeze your glutes so they are fired up and activated during your entire squat. that will make a difference
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options

That is a load of hogwash. Simple understanding of body mechanics will show that your knees go over toes for squats.

But what about *way* over the toes?

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

How far is "way" over? You're going to reach a point where the heel comes up and the foot is not fully planted, which is obviously undesirable. Knee travel will depend on bar position, foot angle, limb lengths, degree of depth, etc.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options

How far is "way" over? You're going to reach a point where the heel comes up and the foot is not fully planted, which is obviously undesirable. Knee travel will depend on bar position, foot angle, limb lengths, degree of depth, etc.

flw46wtja4dc.jpg

As said by @LolBroScience it depends on a lot of factors.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

thhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissssssssssssssss
  • ArtsyDarling
    ArtsyDarling Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    I assume we're talking body weight squats? Are you going deep enough? Hard to get glute involvement unless you break parallel (and if you're doing bodyweight, I'd go as close to *kitten*-to-grass as your flexibility allows). One of the keys to using your glutes is to tighten them hard before you squat -- envision sucking your butt cheeks together before you squat. Keep those suckers tight all the way down. Then, coming back up out of the hole, concentrate on your butt pulling everything else up with it. Don't rock forward onto your toes to make it easier -- that shifts the load onto your quads.

Thank you i am talking about body weight squats. Everyone has been so helpful.

I am just trying to tone so i suppose bigger
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options

You can make your butt SMALLER with squats?!? Now I am scared to do them LOL!