too lazy go to the gym

Options
Hello everyone,

I am too lazy to go to the gym. However, I do workout from home. I have exercise videos. Do you guys have any advice on how to be motivated to go the gym?

Thanks!

Replies

• FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    Habit. You have to get up and go whether you feel like it or not, and once you get there, you'll get in the swing of things. After a while, it becomes habit. Until then, you just have to make the choice to get up and go. THere's nothing wrong with working out at home though if that's what you prefer.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Nope. Either you love it or you don't. If you do, motivation isn't an issue. If you don't, then it's just a matter of determination/will power. Do you want to progress or not? Do you want to badly enough to go to the gym?

All that said, there's no reason you *have* to go to the gym. Depending on your goals and what you're able to do at home/outside, you could be just fine skipping the gym.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    you don't have to go to the gym.
    you can work out at home should you choose too.

Otherwise, make it a habit. put it on the calendar. have fun clothes to wear that you feel confident in.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I think lazy is a cop-out. What we call lazy is usually a complex bundle of motivations. I suspect you don't want to go to the gym because.....[insert your reason].

You like working out at home; work out at home.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    If you workout well from home, why do you think you need to go to the gym?

I've never worked out in a gym, but that doesn't mean I can't be healthy or fit.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Not everyone likes to go to the gym
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Chatty86 wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

I am too lazy to go to the gym. However, I do workout from home. I have exercise videos. Do you guys have any advice on how to be motivated to go the gym?

Thanks!

why do you think you need to go to the gym?

the only reason i go to the gym is to lift weights...if it weren't for that, i'd never set foot in a gym as my main form of exercise is cycling.

you don't have to be in a gym to be healthy and fit.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just counter-pointing... some people's goals necessitate that they do things they don't like... so liking or not liking something isn't always a good barometer for whether or not you should or shouldn't do that something.

• beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I hate the gym. Just the thought of having to drive (30 minutes for me) to workout under florescent lighting makes tired, sad and stressed at the same time.

Wish I didn't feel this way. Because there a lot of routines with heavy weights that would give the benefits I am looking for, I am just not motivated enough I guess.

In the meantime, I workout at home with videos, run outside, do KBs at home and fun stuff like trampoline, hula hoop and indo board. I also go to a yoga studio and I ♥ it.

Now, I know that with my current routine I am never going win any fitness competitions or anything. But it is important for me to enjoy the process.

My husband, on the other hand, loves the gym -- to each their own. I am glad we all have different paths to fitness.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    You do not need to go to a gym to exercise effectively. So ... if you do not like going to a gym, exercise at home ... just do it.
  • Sarajvz
    Sarajvz Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've never stepped foot into a gym and never will. Not a necessity by any means.
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    The gym isn't a necessity for working out. If you are successful in your workouts at home, then workout at home. I live too far from gym access so I bought a weight set for my home. For me it's cheaper in the long run to own my equipment anyway. Just do what works for you.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    You don't have to go to a gym. You can workout at home. I lost 100lbs working out at home.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just counter-pointing... some people's goals necessitate that they do things they don't like... so liking or not liking something isn't always a good barometer for whether or not you should or shouldn't do that something.

Exactly, I don't like getting an annual physical but I do it anyway. I also don't like getting mammograms however cancer runs in my family so alas...

I do however love going to the gym so there's that.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people don't like to go to the gym because they are afraid that others are watching them. You don't mention this as a reason OP, but perhaps this is part of it. I will tell you that there are really only two types of people that are even given a second look when they work out. The first is a good looking lady. That's normal anywhere. The second is a very fit guy. Everyone else is usually pretty much invisible to other gym attendees. You may want to get a work out partner. Or you may want to take part in group activities, like Zumba or Yoga. But I also noticed that as people get more and more into shape, they seem to enjoy going to the gym more often. This is my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I haven't set foot in a gym in years. Gyms are not necessary to fitness. I run the streets and trails of my neighborhood and lift in my home gym. This works for me: it's easier, more convenient, and in the long run, it cheaper than a gym membership.
  • shaunroberts
    shaunroberts Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Going to a gym is not everything. You can have the same results working out at home for free...once you've bought some basic equipment. I've actually made better progress over 18months working out at home than the 3 years I was at the gym.

Used to go to the gym alot when I was single and had money to burn. Then a house and kids happened and I found the £30/month I used to spend on the gym was better spent elsewhere.

These days the thought of going to the gym fills me full of dread. Meat head guys flexing in front of the mirror near the weight rack *shudders*

Shaun.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    What has motivated me to start going to the gym again is the end of gardening and swimming season and the desire to lift weights.

Plus Staci:

wxy1lxqvbhdn.jpg

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Only time I go to the gym/rec center, is in the winter when it is too cold outside.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    You don't have to go the gym but if you want to and just can't find the motivation, hire a trainer. If you're paying to go, you'll go plus you'll get the benefit of having someone push you to do better.