Stress eating

Options
I stress eat and lately the stress in my life has been increasing. I'm a stay at home mom and although I have good choices available, the calories still add up. I'm trying to increase my water and exercise. Any other ideas to get on top of this problem?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Remove the stress?
  • sunnytana
    sunnytana Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I try to chew gum when I get stressed, rather than go for the applesauce, carrots, etc. Because, like you said, the healthy choices still add up when eaten in excess.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Instead of stress eating, try stress walking. Every time you're feeling stressed out take a 15-20 minute walk.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Instead of stress eating, try stress walking. Every time you're feeling stressed out take a 15-20 minute walk.

This^. Also, recognizing that you're doing it is a good thing, so when you feel the impulse coming on, stop yourself and determine if you are actually hungry or just reaching mindlessly for food out of habit. If it's the latter, take a walk, as suggested or replace another activity immediately and consistently whenever you have this feeling coming on. Remember, after you finish eating whatever you just had you now have two problems: the stress is still there and you have increased your calorie intake. Changing habits CAN be done.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    This may sound odd, it did when I first heard it, but try brushing your teeth when you feel the urge of stress eating. I've tried it and it's helped out some. Not EVERY single time, but it does help. What's the worst that can happen? You'll have healthier teeth and gums? :)
  • beth1646
    beth1646 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Removing stress is impossible at the moment. There's a new business, parents with health issues, teenagers, we just moved, etc. These are all things that I'll adapt to eventually. In the meantime I really want that left over piece of toast or chicken or cake.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    beth1646 wrote: »
    Removing stress is impossible at the moment. There's a new business, parents with health issues, teenagers, we just moved, etc. These are all things that I'll adapt to eventually. In the meantime I really want that left over piece of toast or chicken or cake.

Yep. Sounds stressful, walking is good for stress. Practice moderation. Leave a little room for cake in your daily calorie deficit.
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Exercise, boost up those endorphins. Punchbag works well for me when I have PMT. Or a hobby that keeps your brain and fingers from going to the cake time. Removing the stress may be impossible, but there may be ways of managing the stress easier and chip away at it rather than tackle it head on. Are you sleeping well? I find a good night sleep will do wonders.
  • amberlyda1
    amberlyda1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I'm a stress eater, hence me gaining 80 pounds. Sometimes it is impossible to remove the stress. When I cant break away to workout to remove the stress I try to be more careful about my choices. For some reason soup is my go to. I make it from scratch (very low sodium broth), add tons of veggies and hot sauce. It fills me up and takes forever to eat. One huge bowl is usually under a 100 calories and I feel satisfied. I also try to drink a ton of water, or hot tea. Brushing my teeth helps too. I don't stress eat as much, and I try to workout more when I have time.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Plan other things to do to deal with stress -- walking is a good one, few minutes of journaling (added bonus that it can help you realize you aren't hungry), emotionally-satisfying music, mediation, exercise in general.

One thing I did when I started out was when my response to stress (thinking about food) hit I'd channel it to planning a menu.
  • lilyrunner
    lilyrunner Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I take a brisk walk, eat something crunchy like an apple or carrots. Tea helps too. My favorite is orange spice with a little honey. Reading helps me too. Stress eating was a big problem for me not so long ago, but I replaced it with a few of my favorite things. :)
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Food isn't the only de-stresser. In fact, it shouldn't really be used as a de-stresser - it's fuel.

For me, I'll read a book. I'll go for a walk. I'll phone a friend. I'll make a cup of coffee and watch trash on the TV. There are ways to de-stress that don't involve food, you may need to experiment and find yours :)
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice here - I am particularly fond of walking to get some tension out.

From wikipedia:

Aerobic exercise is also a potent long-term antidepressant and a short-term euphoriant; consequently, consistent exercise has also been shown to produce general improvements in mood and self-esteem in all individuals.