Eating meals WITHOUT rice

Options
Hey everyone,

I'm asian, and so it means that for nearly every meal that I eat, I have to have rice. Now that I've finally realized how many calories and carbs it has, I realized I really need to cut back. But does anyone have any advice on how to do that? I imagine for the non-asians out there, rice=bread...?

Replies

• Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    You could always just decrease the amount of rice (without cutting it completely out) and increase the amount of veggies/protein. :smile:

Also, switching from white to brown rice is a good idea too!
  • DreamLittleDarling
    DreamLittleDarling Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    i feel your pain. SO VERY MUCH.

being southern... your rice is my mashed potatoes. my fave food EVER. Can't even tell you the last time I ate them though =(
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    We've replaced rice with quinoa since it's got more nutritional value. You'd still want to reduce the amount a bit but it's something to consider.
  • watermelonstarfish
    watermelonstarfish Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I agree, brown rice! it tastes nasty at first, but you'll get used to it. Don't need to cut it out completely, just portion control!
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I LOVE rice.... I've started putting heaps more veg and having a little less rice. If I fill up on veg, there's no room for rice! And depending on which sauce I put with my stir-fry, the veg often tastes much better than the rice anyway...
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    If it is too hard, you could always wean yourself off it slowly. I never eat more than a half cup of BROWN rice with a meal. Brown rice has more protein and fiber. Just bulk up on the veggies.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Yep, switch to brown rice and just eat less of it. Or also search the recipe boards for cauliflower rice, I've never tried it as I don't eat much rice anyway, but it's supposed to taste a lot like rice.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I agree, brown rice! it tastes nasty at first, but you'll get used to it. Don't need to cut it out completely, just portion control!

Sometimes I make it with low sodium vegetable or chicken broth. Add flavor with out tons of extra calories.
  • michelnie
    michelnie Posts: 30
    Options
    I too grew up with rice as a staple so yes I was shocked too initially by the amount of calories in there. I haven't cut it out completely, I just eat less of it. You don't have to cut it out just eat less to fit your meals.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    A serving size of white rice is 1 cup cooked. Instead have 1/2 and load up on the veggies/meat.

Rice is one of my favorites. My mom's side is Hawaiian/Portuguese and rice is a huge deal. I can eat it plain, with just soy, with just butter...omg anything on it...I love it.

Just try cutting back slowly. You can't/shouldn't cut it out all together...it's part of your culture. All things in moderation!
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    My husband is Filipino so we buy rice in the 50lb bag and have a rice dispenser in our pantry :D That being said I try to make brown rice when the dish will translate well with the substitution. Otherwise I double up the veggies in the dish and serve myself 1/2 cup of rice and make do with that. It is such a huge change from always going back to the pots and getting seconds/thirds until the perfect ratio of foods and rice was met to complete my meal. Kind of like always adding more cereal, then more milk, then more cereal.
    I know I wasn't the only one doing this, lol, right?!?!

Oh and you can do brown in the rice cooker with chicken broth and it really does help a lot with the chewiness...
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I LOVE mashed potatoes...and LOVE rice as well.

I now make both out of cauliflower...seriously. To make rice out of cauliflower...simply cut some fresh cauliflower into smaller chunks (I use everything but the center stalk), toss it in your food processor in small batches, and pulse to the consistency of rice. Once you have the whole head processed, toss it in a microwave safe covered bowl...and cook it on high for about 5-8 minutes (add a little water if you like...I found without it it has more of a chewy rice like texture).

To make mashed cauliflower/potatoes...do the above, but once the cauli/rice is completely cooked (VERY SOFT!), put it back in the food processor and blend it until it's smooth. You can add butter for flavor, seasonings, put gravy over it, and do anything else you'd do with mashed potatoes. Sometimes, depending on the head of cauliflower...the taste is a little sweet, but honestly after eating it a couple times I'm used to it. Good country gravy over it makes it all irrelevant anyhow =D.

Cris
  • DreamLittleDarling
    DreamLittleDarling Posts: 800 Member
    Options

I now make both out of cauliflower...seriously. To make rice out of cauliflower...simply cut some fresh cauliflower into smaller chunks (I use everything but the center stalk), toss it in your food processor in small batches, and pulse to the consistency of rice. Once you have the whole head processed, toss it in a microwave safe covered bowl...and cook it on high for about 5-8 minutes (add a little water if you like...I found without it it has more of a chewy rice like texture).

To make mashed cauliflower/potatoes...do the above, but once the cauli/rice is completely cooked (VERY SOFT!), put it back in the food processor and blend it until it's smooth. You can add butter for flavor, seasonings, put gravy over it, and do anything else you'd do with mashed potatoes. Sometimes, depending on the head of cauliflower...the taste is a little sweet, but honestly after eating it a couple times I'm used to it. Good country gravy over it makes it all irrelevant anyhow =D.

Cris

Is it wrong that I think I may now be in love with you?!
  • AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    Options
    I make a lot of cauliflower rice but I also use quinoa, millet, and wild rice. If I absolutely can't fathom a particular dish without rice I tend to use basmati - it has a lower GI than other types.
  • sars_68
    sars_68 Posts: 308 Member
    Options

Cris

Hahaha!! @dreamdarling!!

Great idea with the cauliflower though - thanks
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

Cris

I suppose...as long as we don't tell your husband, and never act on it...it's ok =p.

Seriously though...we used to have rice with EVERYTHING lol...or mashed potatoes. I'd mostly cut them out of my diet...which made me sad =p. The first time I tried mashed cauliflower my food processor was packed.

FAIL.

The whole 'mash them with a potatoe masher' thing didn't work at all. Unpacked the food processor...and a whole new world of potatoe like texture and flavor opened up!

The rice style is just as good...and like I said, cooking them without additional water (when I make potatoes ouf of them I add a little water) helps give it the chewy texture of real rice.

Cris
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Omg I know how you feel! My hubby is Jamaican and it's all about coconut rice and rice and peas, neither of which I can resist! I'm sort of happy when he is out of town or makes wheat dumplings (which I'm allergic to) instead. I haven't figured out how to eat less of it, so I've just been budgeting for it. Regular rice I can do a half cup with some willpower, but not coconut rice!
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    If you can fit rice into your total calories/macronutrients, then go for it. If you can't then reduce rice to incorporate foods that are more dense in fat/protein, depending on what macronutrient you need a higher intake of.
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    I eat brown rice, I'm not Asian, and I'm still losing weight. I don't eat it every day, but I eat a serving of it at dinner several times a week.

But since you want to cut down on it, I would try a health food store or co-op. They have all kinds of interesting grains in bulk bins so you can only buy what you really want. You could try a small amount of quinoa (I believe there is a light and a dark kind) or a little barley and see if you like it. I enjoy eating homemade rye bread (I just use my bread maker).

I started eating quinoa and I enjoy it. I believe it is still high in calories though, so moderation is the key.
  • murphysraven
    Options
    We've replaced rice with quinoa since it's got more nutritional value. You'd still want to reduce the amount a bit but it's something to consider.

I've also been trying to use more quinoa in place of rice. I usually try to limit myself to 3/4-1 cup for a "serving". I also enjoy brown rice from time to time cooked in a mixture of half water and half low sodium chicken broth.