Gained 10 lbs in one month out of anger that gave up

Options
Hi, I am here to vent :)) at myself but the more I do the more I eat. I started so well and then went on a trip which completely messed up my motivation and then at home was so mad at myself that I ate whatever just to hurt myself more. Result: Gained 10 lbs in a month, did not do ANY xercise....
Uaaah...anyone out there who does this kind of weird self punishing/sabotaging cycle?

Best of luck today,
C.

Replies

• littleali
    littleali Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Oh totally! My cycles were usually week long - I would eat really well for about 4 days, then get angry because I messed up a meal and then I'd think I'd messed up one meal, may mess up the rest and eat what I like. I usually gained about 3lbs by doing that :( It's a hard, hard thing to break but my advice would be to make meal plans and not beat yourself up if you go off track! We all do...just make your next meal count!
  • busygirl1
    busygirl1 Posts: 217
    Options
    i think that there are loads of us out there like that! I have been up and down with the same few pounds over and over.....good luck with getting back on the wagon x
  • rachsmum
    rachsmum Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    Take a deep breath, put the last month in perspective and begin again. Do you normally exercise, if so start it again. Even it it is just a little at a time. Self-sabotage appears to be quite a common thing for those of us who are trying to lose weight. Often it seems to be an emotional trigger that sets us going.
    I have also done it....
    I hope things get a little better for you.
    Best wishes
    Donna
  • Heidschnucke
    Heidschnucke Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey thank you already!!! sharing helps ;)
  • cafeteriagirl
    cafeteriagirl Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Dont give up every day is a new day to lose those lbs. You have shown you have the motivation and I know you can get it off just as easily as it came back on. Good luck to you!!!
  • Heidschnucke
    Options
    RE: EMOTIONAL TRIGGER.

Yes of course, it was a man involved...now i decided to do abstinence from relationship for a while and really focus on my life and my health. A completely new idea for me....
    Thank you all. My day starts now with the thought that I am not alone. C.
  • janehend
    janehend Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    We are going to Disney World in a few weeks with the meal plan and I am so afraid I am going to gain and then keep eating when I get back. A trip to Disney is what started me on gaining a few years ago. We just never stopped eating like we were on the meal plan when we got back. I only gained 3 pounds while we were there because of all the walking but I kept eating a lot and of course I wasn't walking 12 miles a day at home. :)

That said, you just need to get back on track now that you are aware of what you are doing. I always feel like if you gain it fast it will come off fast. In a month it will be off again and then you will be back to losing weight and making your goals.
  • rkteal
    rkteal Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need at least one free day a week to allow yourself to eat what you want. If you feel deprived all the time, it will drive you to jump off the wagon again and again, so plan for it.

Allow yourself one day a week to enjoy food, but try not to go completely overboard.

Make sure to try an burn some extra calories the day after, and keep moving forward.

Take vitamins and drink lots of water. I eat 5 times a day, meals with 2 snacks in between and water.

Good luck and Don't give up!
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. Did that for about 3 weeks, gained 6lbs. Considering that my weight loss is set to 0.5lb a week, it will take me 3 months just to be at the starting point. So upset... :(:cry:
  • Heidschnucke
    Options
    Hello do you really walk 12 miles a day? WOW how long does that take? Thank you for the note, too. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Needthisforme
    Options
    I am always in the area of trying to lose weight and well it doesn't get any easier however we as a person get stronger. some one told me to have healthy snacks all measured and ready to go so when on the run or get in our hate our self moods we will grab something not to bad for us. I am honestly just trying it this week well today. But I am always looking for a good venting partner if ever you need one lol.. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • janehend
    janehend Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hello do you really walk 12 miles a day? WOW how long does that take? Thank you for the note, too.

I read in one of my Disney planning books that you walk an average of 12 miles a day in Disney. I was talking about my Disney trip.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need at least one free day a week to allow yourself to eat what you want. If you feel deprived all the time, it will drive you to jump off the wagon again and again, so plan for it.

Allow yourself one day a week to enjoy food, but try not to go completely overboard.

Make sure to try an burn some extra calories the day after, and keep moving forward.

Take vitamins and drink lots of water. I eat 5 times a day, meals with 2 snacks in between and water.

Good luck and Don't give up!

This is great advice. It's not a diet...it's living in a healthy way. If you are doing well all week, feel free to have some favorite foods one day. It has never made me gain weight if hubby and I ordered our favorite Thai food one night. If I was exercising and watching what I was eating, it helped me stay on track long term.
  • rundgrenfan
    rundgrenfan Posts: 211
    Options
    Good luck -- putting you first this time is the key! This can be the time that you are able to break the cycle of eating for reasons other than hunger! I know that that is my problem. I have friend request to you if you'd like to encourage each other!
  • vinster345
    vinster345 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I would say go back to the gym or whichever exercise you were doing as soon as you can. Most bad patches I go through ALWAYS end once i've dragged my *kitten* back to the gym. I get that Serotonin kick that lifts me out of my bad patch and motivates me to go again the next day and eat well that day.
  • meathie
    meathie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    agh, Im the exact same as you! went on honeymoon 2 and half weeks ago, wasnt actually too bad there but since Ive come home I cant control eating now!!! its terrible. I need to stop. I had McDonalds for lunch and just had crisps there now too.
  • pawpaw10
    pawpaw10 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Dont give up Jim always says its a long hard struggle and dont give up. We all have speed bumps in our lives, dont let it be a wall. We are here for you:wink:
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    agh, Im the exact same as you! went on honeymoon 2 and half weeks ago, wasnt actually too bad there but since Ive come home I cant control eating now!!! its terrible. I need to stop. I had McDonalds for lunch and just had crisps there now too.

That might just be that "newlywed nine" (like the freshman fifteen all over again!) and your body just completely recharging itself after all the pre-wedding planning and stress and craziness. I did the same thing after my honeymoon and after about a month and a half my appetite went back to normal.