Ideal Protein diet?

Options
Just wondering if anyone has tried or had results on the Ideal Protein diet??

Replies

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I have a client's husband who has been doing it for a little over 2 months and has lost 40+ pounds. However, he complains all the time of headaches, dizziness, having little/no energy. And he's paying big bucks every week to buy their food. For less than ten bucks, you can buy a food scale and use MFP for free, learn how to eat correctly, eat whatever you want within your goal, and not have headaches/dizziness/etc...
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You won't get much support for meal replacements......My Fitness Pal website is designed for users to weigh/measure and log actual food.

The problem with replacing meals with shakes, and premade soups, etc. (been there, done that) is it teaches you nothing about why you are trying to lose weight in the first place. I'm fat because my portions were too big. Measuring portions and logging them is teaching me what I need to know for maintenance.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    From their website:
    Learning to live off of the body's own fat reserves. The body employs energy from three reserves: glycogen (carbohydrate), protein and fats. First the body depletetes its simple and complex carbohydrate reserves and then turns simultaneously to its protein and fat reserves for energy. A person not in need of weight loss typically has approximately 1-2% of their body's reserves from carbs, approximately 19% from their muscle mass and 79% of their body reserves from fat.
    Simple and complex carbohydrates can prevent weight loss. The body stores approximately three days worth of carbohydrates, therefore, our protocol restricts sugars (simple and complex) until 100% of your weight loss goal is achieved…why? Because, as long as sugar is being consumed, your body may not be burning fat. Remember, the first source of energy is derived from glycogen (carbohydrate) reserves. Therefore, the core principle of the Ideal Protein Protocol is to deplete the glycogen (carbohydrate) reserves completely, in order to compel the body into consuming its fat reserve to burn calories.

Nothing special, just seems like Keto, though their explanation is complete BS. They try to say that if you consume carbs you won't burn fat, that's a load of bull. If you're in a calorie deficit, you will burn stored body fat, end of story.
  • jcorvett007
    jcorvett007 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yes I suppose that all makes sense! I guess besides the shakes and stuff they provide they are not teaching me anything I do not already know ...don't eat bad food if you don't want to be fat lol I know someone who is doing it so it peaked my interest , but the only thing it opened my eyes to was how much sugar is in food. It's in everything!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Yes I suppose that all makes sense! I guess besides the shakes and stuff they provide they are not teaching me anything I do not already know ...don't eat bad food if you don't want to be fat lol I know someone who is doing it so it peaked my interest , but the only thing it opened my eyes to was how much sugar is in food. It's in everything!!

Unless you have medical issues you don't need to track sugar. I track fiber instead.

But "managing" added sugar is definitely something I need to do. I do leave room for a treat everyday....but to maintain my weight, I know I won't be able to have treats whenever I want. I will always manage snacks.
  • AJ_G
    Options
    don't eat bad food if you don't want to be fat lo

71h3c2.gif

There are no good foods and bad foods. You don't need to eat certain foods to lose weight. You don't need to cut out certain foods to lose weight.
  • jcorvett007
    jcorvett007 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    LOL If I knew all the rules to a healthy life style I wouldn't be here... Thanks for the advice ! I'll need it for sure!
  • AJ_G
    Options
    LOL If I knew all the rules to a healthy life style I wouldn't be here... Thanks for the advice ! I'll need it for sure!

Read this when you have the time. It will explain a lot:

http://www.completehumanperformance.com/why-calories-count/

When you're done reading that, read this:

http://www.completehumanperformance.com/clean-eating/
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

To the bolded, that's not how that works. To gain weight you eat in a calorie surplus regardless of where the calories come from.