What kills your daily calorie allowance and how did you overcome it??

Options

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Hi @lilyrunner I think some people around here are very precise in their definitions and distinctions between compulsion, habit, addiction and dependency. And some people are sensitive when other definitions/assumptions are made about people, since we like to be precise. @ Stef is probably closer to correct when she says it's unlikely someone is "addicted" to sugar.

My mother shows compulsion, lying, hoarding and puts other people and their feelings behind her desire for food and the associated endorphins, but even I would be hesitant to call her "addicted." We understand what you meant, it's just most people here wouldn't call it an addiction.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    Hi @lilyrunner I think some people around here are very precise in their definitions and distinctions between compulsion, habit, addiction and dependency. And some people are sensitive when other definitions/assumptions are made about people, since we like to be precise. @ Stef is probably closer to correct when she says it's unlikely someone is "addicted" to sugar.

My mother shows compulsion, lying, hoarding and puts other people and their feelings behind her desire for food and the associated endorphins, but even I would be hesitant to call her "addicted." We understand what you meant, it's just most people here wouldn't call it an addiction.

Thank you for responding to @lilyrunner so nicely and accurately. Unfortunately, it looks like she deleted. It's too bad we lose people this way. She was just expressing her opinion in her own way.
  • 296Carol
    296Carol Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For the chocolate craving, try having a low cal hot chocolate drink. Few calories but chocolate taste.. My treat most evenings..
  • magtart
    magtart Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Wine. I'm still working on it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    i found that pre logging my days was very beneficial early on.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    A couple of things that have helped me as sweets are definitely my weak spot too.

(1) Make sure I only ate sweets after I'd really filled up on the good stuff, which for me is usually a good dose of protein and high fiber veggies. When I'm not actually hungry, the sweet craving is much more easily satisfied. If I look to sweets when I'm still hungry, I can eat waaaaay more than I intended or really want to eat.

(2) Try substitutes. I found that after dinner, I usually had a sweet craving and I'd often reach for rather calorie dense choices. But, often times, I find ripe fruit to be just as good. I had two oranges last night and they satisfied that desire for something sweet just as well as a few cookies, for far less calories/sugar (and a nice little dose of extra fiber).

(3) Reduce my added sugar overall. Until I tracked this, I was really surprised how much added sugar I was eating -- far more than I realized. When I took an active approach to cut down on my added sugar (which was mostly in the tasty, but often times nutritionally shallow highly processed foods), I found that my taste buds recalibrated after a few weeks. Sort of how you lose tolerance for alcohol if you stop drinking for a while. I think this is often the idea behind some of the "detox" plans like Whole 30 or strict Paleo. It took a lot less sugar to satisfy that sweet craving and often times natural sources were just as pleasing -- fresh, ripe fruit tasted amazing whereas before it was only so-so and I came to love sweet potatoes even more.

(4) Opted for the high end versions. I found that if I was going to go the traditional dessert route, I decided to use the calories on the high end ingredients. I found that my homemade cookies, cupcakes, desserts, etc. to be FAR more satisfying both in taste and calories than the store bought kind. So if I wanted chocolate chunk cookies, I was now only eating them when I made them myself (or occasionally bought them from the fancy stores where all the ingredients are natural or what like I'd make at home -- no HFCS, preservatives, etc). And with cookies, I could freeze them and take out just a few at a time to bake so I always had killer sea-salt, chocolate chunk cookies at my disposal and I knew exactly how many calories were in them. I found that the high end desserts (like flourless dark chocolate cake or my home made chocolate chunk cookies) were far more satisfying than the junk food desserts (cheap cookies, cheap candies, etc.) -- much more bang for your buck so I could eat a lot less to feel just as satisfied.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Pre-logging your day solves it for me.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Stop eating them then ... boom problem solved... you can also stop buying them, helps with the not eating them thing.

Why stop eating them?? Life is too short. Losing weight and then maintaining it long term is about making sustainable changes. Otherwise you are destined to lose steam when you get sick of the deprivation and just gain all the weight back plus some.
    I first figured out the treats that don't send me on binges. Individually packaged treats work better for me than a whole cake sitting in the kitchen.
    Then I pre log it that morning when I'm having my coffee. It gives me something to look forward to ( no feeling of being deprived) and it tends to make me choose better foods all day because I know I have a "treat" waiting.
    Anybody that tells you you have to give up entire food groups or give up wine or dessert just isn't getting it. Sustained weight loss isn't about torture, it's about balance and healthy choices OVERALL.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I pretty much stopped eating them. I learned to like them. I decided I could learn to like something else. So I did. What helped the most was pre-logging, keto, and IF. Lots of different techniques work for different people. I hope you find your groove soon.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    a Jello sugar free pudding snack (chocolate) is 60 calories. V helpful for me.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Stop eating them then ... boom problem solved... you can also stop buying them, helps with the not eating them thing.

Why stop eating them?? Life is too short. Losing weight and then maintaining it long term is about making sustainable changes. Otherwise you are destined to lose steam when you get sick of the deprivation and just gain all the weight back plus some.
    I first figured out the treats that don't send me on binges. Individually packaged treats work better for me than a whole cake sitting in the kitchen.
    Then I pre log it that morning when I'm having my coffee. It gives me something to look forward to ( no feeling of being deprived) and it tends to make me choose better foods all day because I know I have a "treat" waiting.
    Anybody that tells you you have to give up entire food groups or give up wine or dessert just isn't getting it. Sustained weight loss isn't about torture, it's about balance and healthy choices OVERALL.

For some people, it's just easier to cut things out. I don't feel restricted when I cut out chips. If I buy them, I have trouble not eating a whole bag at once. Cutting food out doesn't have to be "torture." I feel like looking at it that way is just as troubling as looking at certain foods as bad.

Eat what you like in moderation. If you can't eat something in moderation, don't eat it. I feel like that is a perfectly OK thing to say.

I'm not agreeing with Tedebearduff, btw. Cutting out your "problem" foods doesn't actually solve anything by itself. It can just help to maintain your deficit by reducing the temptation to go over.
  • sinbadfxdl
    sinbadfxdl Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    When I took medical advice to reduce my sugar intake to 12 and under teaspoons per day I had extreme cravings for several days. Afterwards the taste for sugar subsided. Insulin levels dropped and I was able to accept more veggies instead. Real food became tasty again. A glob of ice cream no longer became the focus of the evening.
    I love sugar , but it's was for the best to reduce those type of foods so I can lose weight and obtain my goals.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    Also, maybe find some low calorie deserts with stevia instead of sugar. I can't tell the difference and it's a natural sugar supplement.

It's a substitute for sugar, but I wouldn't call it a "supplement."

Nor would I, but the food companies have to due to politics: http://www.stevia.com/Stevia_article/Questions_Answers_about_Stevia/2269
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    The weekend does it for me. I do great all week while at work and then BOOM the weekend comes and I need a hobby... :disappointed:

Same for me....something about the discipline of my work day helps me stay in control. Too much free time on the weekends.....hobby sounds like a good plan but it needs to be out of the house for me....
  • kshama2001
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Do you struggle with a particular food item or category and what did you do to control it? Thanks for sharing!

My solution for not being able to moderate Oreos, Girl Scout Cookies, M&Ms, and some flavors of pints of Ben & Jerry's is to not buy them.

I am able to moderate the mini cups of Ben & Jerry's, as they do not come in my favorite flavors. I am able to moderate chocolate chips.

So, I do not cut out the entire category of "treats," but learned which ones do not hinder my progress.

For high calorie foods, especially nuts and cheese, portion control via weighing out a portion has been very helpful.

• MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Pizza.......so I've had only 2 pizzas since starting the diet. It just had to become a very rare treat.
  • KatieBearLOL
    KatieBearLOL Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    For me it was olive oil and wine. I solved the problem by eating less of them.

Wine for me too.
  • ebouchie
    ebouchie Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Wine and sweets. Had to cut them out completely. Except on special and rare occasions. The empty calories are just not worth it. I would much rather eat something with the amount of calories but fills me up. Like nuts or fruit.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options
    Beer used to kill my limit. Now I drink liquor. Much more effective, in all senses.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Pizza.......so I've had only 2 pizzas since starting the diet. It just had to become a very rare treat.

Oh, ya, that too. Yes, pizza has become rare plus we have a big salad with it and I eat three pieces and he gets five, rather than our previous 4:4 split, which was unnecessary as he is a foot taller than me.