Advice On This Site

Options
When i read posts from people who have been here for months but their total weight loss bar shows very few lbs lost or shows nothing at all I tend to stay away from their recipes. My thinking is if they show a lot of weight loss then their recipe is safe and if they don't then it might not be as healthy as i want.

I was curious also if something is posted that isn't healthy does someone delete those?

Just like your thoughts on that the people who have been on here for awhile

Replies

• catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    If something posted is positively dangerous then it will get removed. .Example, posts pushing pro ana or mia methods will be removed
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt go by that at all tbh. The person might not have had a lot to lose in the first place, so its relative.
    A person whos lost 100lb may not be posting healthier recipes than someone who only ever had 10lb to lose in the first place. You need to look at the recipe, decide whether you fancy it, look at the ingredients and whether you think the calories it says it is, are likely to be accurate, and whether it looks worth it to make.
    I really wouldnt judge a recipe by the person who posts it.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    When i read posts from people who have been here for months but their total weight loss bar shows very few lbs lost or shows nothing at all I tend to stay away from their recipes. My thinking is if they show a lot of weight loss then their recipe is safe and if they don't then it might not be as healthy as i want.

I was curious also if something is posted that isn't healthy does someone delete those?

Thats pretty judgemental. They may have been losing weight and then only just joined MFP. I lost 32lbs before I joined here and for a while - till I figured it out - my ticker didn't reflect that.
  • kimmisatch
    kimmisatch Posts: 105
    Options
    I wouldn't write them off, I have 0 weight loss on my bar thing but that's just because I don't update it. It isn't a reflection on how healthy I am. Some aren't so interested in the kilos/pounds but more interested on healthy lifestyle.

Perhaps if someone was encouraging bad behaviour I would delete them, or find out what was going on.

:)
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i usually just avoid recipes on here full stop, as 9 times out of 10, theyre for snacky cake type things, that i usually think do i really want to make a tray full of low calorie cakes/ biscuits that i wouldnt have normally made, and will need to be used up. Even all those low calorie things add up if youre eating a tray of them (which i probably would if they were just sitting there ;) )
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    I pretty much know, by the ingredients in the recipe, if it's healthy or not.I don't think it depends on how much the person giving advice or recipe suggestions has lost. I think it depends on if the food and ingredients are healthy. So, I wouldn't concern myself so much with their weight loss as much as I'd be concerned with my own. And no, why would higher caloric recipes get deleted?? This just isn't a weight loss site, it's a fitness site. Good luck with your journey!
  • joanneeee
    joanneeee Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Wow, lol. I wasn't aware that my low weight loss meant that the recipes I (re)posted were duds. That is, as WeightWars said, very judgemental. Look at the nutritional value of the recipe, not the poster.
  • CuzImaCowboy
    CuzImaCowboy Posts: 31 Member
    Options

Thats pretty judgemental. They may have been losing weight and then only just joined MFP. I lost 32lbs before I joined here and for a while - till I figured it out - my ticker didn't reflect that.

sorry if i came of like a jerk, I'm nothing like that. I'm just new to the site and wanted to know do i just use my own judgement like several have said or are the bad recipes someone might post removed. Wasn't sure how this site was maintained

and your right i wasnt thinking that some might have just found this site or not care to put a ticker up, so i apologize for that statement
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Cuzima,

As a moderator, it's our job to keep the site clear of posts that are deemed either bad or in some way against the forum rules. If you report a recipe that you think is not a good one (this goes for everyone) we moderators will look at it and decide whether it merits removal. We can't see every post on here, so the report link is vital any time you see something that is against forum policy. you can check out the rules (and I highly advise you do so) in the general section if you click on the home link above.

best wishes,

SHBoss1673
    MyFitnessPal forum moderator
  • CuzImaCowboy
    CuzImaCowboy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Cuzima,

As a moderator, it's our job to keep the site clear of posts that are deemed either bad or in some way against the forum rules. If you report a recipe that you think is not a good one (this goes for everyone) we moderators will look at it and decide whether it merits removal. We can't see every post on here, so the report link is vital any time you see something that is against forum policy. you can check out the rules (and I highly advise you do so) in the general section if you click on the home link above.

best wishes,

SHBoss1673
    MyFitnessPal forum moderator

thank you thats all i wanted know