Winter Sucks!

Options
I hate winter! I'm pretty sure I have a touch of Seasonal Affective Disorder. It becomes insanely difficult for me to get out of bed in the morning (during the summer I got up at 4:30 to run, and it was awesome). And as it gets dark in the evening I get sleepy even though it's only 4 pm. How do you make it through the dark/dreariness?

Replies

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Full spectrum therapy light (mine is Verilux), Vitamin D supplement, staying on track with my diet and meal planning and not letting myself go home between work and the gym.

I hear you, it's the worst! Good luck.
  • zghaffar
    zghaffar Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Same here.. It definitely sucks!
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I looked into the therapy lights last winter but couldn't justify spending $100 at the time. Do you have any opinions on the less expensive ones? Like $40ish.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    I looked into the therapy lights last winter but couldn't justify spending $100 at the time. Do you have any opinions on the less expensive ones? Like $40ish.

I only paid like $40 for mine. Because it's smaller, I have to sit closer to it (it has to be in your direct line of vision and fairly close), but I think it helps.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    in general i'm less active in the winter. i still exercise but i ride less and lift more but my general activity will generally drop significantly. on a summer weekend morning you're likely to find me walking around the zoo or at the park or something with my kids...in the winter you're more likely to find me on my couch watching a movie with them.

i think it's pretty normal...it's not unusual for me to put on 5-10 Lbs over winter, but it comes right off in the spring when i start getting in the miles on my bike again. this year i'm planning to go to a rec center near my office to get in a little more winter cardio than i've done in the past couple of years and i'm watching my food a little closer so we'll see...but again, i'm ultimately not too worried as my winter weight comes right off come spring.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    The standard for light boxes is 10,000 lux for 15-30 minutes. If you get a cheaper box, you need to make sure you're getting sufficient intensity for it to work. Lots of the cheaper boxes will only put out 5,000 or even 3,000 lux, so you'd need to spend more time sitting in front of it to get the benefit. Also, make sure that the box you buy is designed for SAD, because lots of them aren't. It's not worth even $40 if it doesn't work.

FWIW, my $80 NatureBright box from Amazon is worth its weight in gold. I also supplement with Vitamin D, creatine and 5-HTP, and make sure I get at least a little outside time every day. Exercise helps, too.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I started on the vitamin D in the summer. I have bipolar 2 so with SAD things get extra tricky. So far exercise seems to actually be helping hugely but I've been so unwell and sedentary for so many years it's hard to really judge what's going on!

I will say this, as someone with exercise induced anxiety/panic attacks and overheating exacerbating that issue, running in the colder weather is an absolute revelation. Well, working out when it's cooler in general. I love it so much more than when I'm hot and sticky before I even start. Ask me if I still thank that when it gets properly cold though...............
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Yep, you have to just make yourself and then it feels good, so you just do.
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but I'm totally the opposite. I like winter because when I get cold I have to get up and exercise. Even if it's just getting up and running up and down the stairs a few times. I say that to my son all the time when he complains and wants to turn up the heat. Plus the warm winter foods seem to fill me up, I'm much more satiated. Anyway I agree with the other posters about light therapy. I hope you find something that works for you. Florida Keys maybe?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of seriously investing in a light box or wake up light.

soon we'll only be having 5-6 hours of "sunlight" (grayness) and i'm feeling it BIG TIME!

I am not going to bed until 4-5AM and sleeping until 1-2 (when brightness is at it's peak). It's awful and ruining SO MUCH.

When i was camping this summer in the southern part of europe (with normal rise and set times) I had NO PROBLEMS waking up at 7-8 in the morning and falling asleep by 10-11 and i felt for the first time in my life "wow, is this what it's like to sleep and wake up normally?".

So if anyone has had success with a light box or wake up light PLEASE SHARE!

I am taking 5,000 IU of Vitamin D. :)
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I love winter! I posted this on a skiing forum where I'm a member, but I'll re-post it here to get everyone in a better mood.

The way the air smells crisp and fresh.
    The sunlight gleaming off fresh snow that's just fallen on the city, carpeting everything in a blanket of white.
    The way the city is quiet and hushed and there's a muffled air to everything.
    Cozy sweaters.
    Hot chocolate.
    Christmas lights and holiday decorations.
    Staying in with that special someone to just cozy up on the sofa, and not feeling guilty about it. (Or, as the kids are saying these days, 'Netflix and chill'.)
    A week off of work in December that I can use guilt-free to ski or go on vacation.
    Fuzzy slippers and scarves.
    Winter festivals like Igloofest, Nuit Blanche or Under The Snow.
    Nighttime snowshoeing on the trails on Mount Royal.
    Skating at Parc Lafontaine.
    Comfort food.
    Roasting marshmallows in the fireplace.
    That feeling of hope after December 21st when the days finally start getting longer again.
    The endless possibilities presented by a new year.
  • ebouchie
    ebouchie Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    I love winter! I posted this on a skiing forum where I'm a member, but I'll re-post it here to get everyone in a better mood.

The way the air smells crisp and fresh.
    The sunlight gleaming off fresh snow that's just fallen on the city, carpeting everything in a blanket of white.
    The way the city is quiet and hushed and there's a muffled air to everything.
    Cozy sweaters.
    Hot chocolate.
    Christmas lights and holiday decorations.
    Staying in with that special someone to just cozy up on the sofa, and not feeling guilty about it. (Or, as the kids are saying these days, 'Netflix and chill'.)
    A week off of work in December that I can use guilt-free to ski or go on vacation.
    Fuzzy slippers and scarves.
    Winter festivals like Igloofest, Nuit Blanche or Under The Snow.
    Nighttime snowshoeing on the trails on Mount Royal.
    Skating at Parc Lafontaine.
    Comfort food.
    Roasting marshmallows in the fireplace.
    That feeling of hope after December 21st when the days finally start getting longer again.
    The endless possibilities presented by a new year.

Me too. Absolutely love winter!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I look at it from a different perspective! Yes, it's dark outside - but you can make your home cosy!

I use winter and cold nights as an excuse to stock up on hot chocolate and fluffy warm pyjamas. I light candles in my house and curl up in front of the TV with a good book and a blanket! It doesn't have to be miserable :)
  • parfia
    parfia Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I love running in the dark of a morning - it means no one can see how insanely ridiculous I look! lol x
  • Devol82
    Devol82 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I too am not a fan of winter : ( I have sucha hard time dealing with the cold and being cooped up in the house.
  • kk_inprogress
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    The standard for light boxes is 10,000 lux for 15-30 minutes. If you get a cheaper box, you need to make sure you're getting sufficient intensity for it to work. Lots of the cheaper boxes will only put out 5,000 or even 3,000 lux, so you'd need to spend more time sitting in front of it to get the benefit. Also, make sure that the box you buy is designed for SAD, because lots of them aren't. It's not worth even $40 if it doesn't work.

FWIW, my $80 NatureBright box from Amazon is worth its weight in gold. I also supplement with Vitamin D, creatine and 5-HTP, and make sure I get at least a little outside time every day. Exercise helps, too.

I don't think I did justice into my light box research- thanks for posting this! I'm going to do some deeper reading.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. Winter is awful, I wish I could just hibernate from November until April.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I love summer and the outside activities...but I find that in Winter it's gym time! joining a gym this time of year shakes up your activity, keeps you moving and can provide some social interaction, even if it is just in Pilates or spin class!

And, it's only 6 weeks until 12/21 when the days start getting longer again!