nuts!!!!

Options
hi every one, I have a question about nuts. I do eat meat but not a lot and I struggle to get my protein up to what it should be. are nuts a good way to boost my protein, I know they are high fat but I am lactose intolerant and except for eating more meat dont know another way to boost my protein. Any advice

Replies

• poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    legumes, milk, cheese, yougurt just to name a few, even fruit smoothies with protien powder
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    Here are some non-meat, non-dairy foods you can add to your diet. The only caution on the nuts is they can be a bit higher in calories, but they pack a great amount of protein and "good fats". Enjoy!

* Tofu, ½ cup 20 grams protein
    * Tofu, 1 oz, 2.3 grams
    * Soy milk, 1 cup - 6 -10 grams
    * Most beans (black, pinto, lentils, etc) about 7-10 grams protein per half cup of cooked beans
    * Soy beans, ½ cup cooked – 14 grams protein
    * Split peas, ½ cup cooked – 8 grams

Nuts and Seeds

* Peanut butter, 2 Tablespoons - 8 grams protein
    * Almonds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
    * Peanuts, ¼ cup – 9 grams
    * Cashews, ¼ cup – 5 grams
    * Pecans, ¼ cup – 2.5 grams
    * Sunflower seeds, ¼ cup – 6 grams
    * Pumpkin seeds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
    * Flax seeds – ¼ cup – 8 grams
  • granneybec
    granneybec Posts: 10
    Options
    I love nuts and my dietician said they are great in moderation. I eat at least 1 ounce a day of almonds or peanuts and I seem to lose more weight when I am eating nuts than not. Also shrimp has a lot of protein and is not as heavy on your stomach as meat. I eat shrimp at least 3-4 times a week.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    nuts are good, but check the nutrients in the nut before you just chow down. Different nuts offer different essential amino acids, most do not offer all 8 and you need them all to make muscle tissue and other lean tissue and protein. Thus pairing nuts with other foods is important if you want to complete your proteins. Mainly nuts are deficient in lysine, which means pairing them with legumes is important to complete. But don't worry to much about this, your body stores a lot of these amino acids so it would take a while to really become protein deficient because of uncompleted proteins (like probably months of deficient eating I would guess) if you do eat meat a few times a week, this isn't a big deal, but for vegetarians this can be a problem (among other things).