UP 1lb this morning?????? How's that possible??

Options
Calling all MFPs- I don't know what's going on here but I'm pissed! My diary is public, so you can check it out. I've done really well eating this week and exercised every day. I weighed this morning and had GAINED 1lb. This is maddening! My goal is 10lb and I've lost 4lb. I'm struggling with the last little bit. What am I doing wrong???!!!!!

Replies

• schokofan
    schokofan Posts: 37
    Options
    same problem .. similar situation ...hmpf!
  • Ashalahn_LMT
    Ashalahn_LMT Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Could be a little bit of muscle gained. Could be water weight. So many factors mess with the scale. I wouldn't get too hung up on the numbers, they can be deceiving. Stick with measurements and body fat percentages, they are better indicators of progress.

And looking at your food diary you are under your daily calories everyday, and often under 1000 calories. Probably eating too little. You should aim to hit your minimum. Especially since you are working out, creating an even larger calorie deficit.
  • traymast
    traymast Posts: 23
    Options
    It could be the time of the month...water...your body fluctuates...just keep being good and don't quit. If you only have 10 lbs to lose and you've lost 4 already its going to go much slower, which is better because it will be permanent. Think about this as a life change not a diet. If its too hard then make it more do-able to permanently change. Otherwise you will put the 4 lbs back on at the blink of an eye!

Good Luck and keep on truckin!!
  • carpar1
    carpar1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Try eating more food, that should help : )
  • RussellWC
    RussellWC Posts: 4
    Options
    Make you sure you weigh yourself at the same time every other week.

But for the 1 pound could be water, or muscle growth (muscle weighs more than fat). So it may not be a bad thing overall. Try not to be into the number, if you go to the gym have them measure your percent body fat (that number should be going down).

I hope that helps.
  • rcm724
    rcm724 Posts: 7
    Options
    Less than 1000 calories a day... might not be good. A lot of people would say your putting your body into starvation mode. Dont try to lose more than 2lbs per week, and be sure to consume your exercise calories if your net goal is less than 1200 calories a day.
  • mikegohl
    mikegohl Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I agree with others that you could eat more.
  • cdelbove
    cdelbove Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds strange but you need to "eat to lose". If you don't eat at least 1200 calories a day your body might be going into starvation mode. Especially because you are working out. You should try eating back some of your exercise calories this week and see if that helps.
  • SenoraMacias
    SenoraMacias Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    In prior weeks I was eating more, and didn't seem to have much success with that either. The 4lb loss has been over a few months, so it's very slow. So far eating more and eating less haven't seemed to turn out *real* results. Just frustrated *sigh*. Thanks for the advice!
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    So frustrating isn't it! Your weight will fluctuate a couple of pounds day to day. One pound is really hard to base anything on. Make sure you are netting 1200 calories. It could easily be water weight. Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound is a pound. Muscle takes up less space...is more dense....

make sure you are netting 1200 and then weigh again next week. You may see a change! :-)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You need to eat MORE. With only a few pounds to go your goal should be to lose 0.5lbs/week. A small deficit helps ensure you are losing fat, instead of muscle. If you don't have a lot to lose and have large deficits your body will burn muscles, instead of fat, to use as fuel.

I suggest changing your goal to 0.5lbs/week, and to eat 75-100% of your calories burned from exercise. You will have a slow lose this way (0.5lbs/week) but will be at your goal weight with a lower BF% than you would otherwise.
  • makeachange22
    Options
    ive been up one lb all week even with eating extremely healthy. it just happens
  • charliebird
    charliebird Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I have looked through your diary and like some of the others I don't think you are eating enough. I realise I have more weight to lose than you - but when I "upped" my calorie intake I started losing weight! I think that would be a good start - eating 1200 cals per day.. The alternative is to sit tight and eventually your body will lose weight on that level of calories - but it takes longer to adjust and there is all the other issues - like headaches, lethargy ect. When I have done VLCD in the past I haven't felt "all there" if you know what I mean!!
  • SenoraMacias
    Options
    So frustrating isn't it! Your weight will fluctuate a couple of pounds day to day. One pound is really hard to base anything on. Make sure you are netting 1200 calories. It could easily be water weight. Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound is a pound. Muscle takes up less space...is more dense....

make sure you are netting 1200 and then weigh again next week. You may see a change! :-)

Haha finally someone else sees it!!!! 1lb of ANYTHING (muscle/fat/potatoes/candy bars) weighs 1lb!!!!!!!!
  • Li_Willi
    Li_Willi Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. You need to be at least doing 1200 cals & eating back (at least) a good portion of your workout cals. Also, if you're working out "every day", you need to rest at least one day out of the week. I was working out everyday & wasn't seeing any weight loss until I forced myself to rest one day & the following day is when I saw a loss on the scale. Your body needs a day or so to recover, especially after a hard workout.
  • bkelley32148
    bkelley32148 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    how's your water intake?
  • SenoraMacias
    Options
    Thanks guys! It's so counter-intuitive. Eat more, work out less- it's crazy!!! But I'll try it :)
  • SenoraMacias
    Options
    how's your water intake?

Water is 12-16 cups a day
  • SarahLovesCheesecake
    Options
    Did you measure at EXACTLY THE SAME TIME and compare to exactly the same things ie just after toilet before breakfast at 0800 hours?
  • michelle2566
    Options
    It seems to be just one of those things,it happened to me too,I thought I had had a good week not really changed any thing but put a pound on,but went on to loose 3 the next so put it behind you and move on to next week,its a small blip dont let it spoil all the good work you have already done....