Starting LCHF KETO diet tomorrow!

Options
Any tips, stories, advice? I am going to walmart in AM to purchase bacon, eggs, lots of meat, olive oil, coconut oil, cheeses, creams, broth, avacado and nuts. I have been struggling with carb binging and losing control whenever encounter sweets and sugars and I am very hopeful that this will be my save-all.

Replies

• MissElectricEyeliner
    Options
    Join the Low carber daily forum on here. If you plan on doing low carb make sure you calorie count as well.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Add these to your KETO grocery list:
    spinach, kale, broccoli, yellow squash, snow peas, mushrooms, beans sprouts, olives, dill pickles, cucumbers, celery, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, Chia seeds.
  • thintribe2014
    thintribe2014 Posts: 36 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Consume more water. More than you think you need. Watch nutrition from nuts and cheese they contain carbs.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Good for you! (KerryGold Grass-fed butter, and Macadamia nuts & oil too). :)
  • burban00
    burban00 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think I will start that diet too. Good luck.
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I am passionate about nutrition and have tried many ways of eating in the last 8 years, and the one that fulfilled me and felt natural the most was LCHF. I lost 35lbs last year till life got in the way and I fell back to some old habits. Now I feel *kitten* and I can't stand it anymore so I'm going back to it since I know it works for me. And @RodaRose is right about adding some greens! I would recommend that watch HealthfulPursuit on YouTube. Atkins program's also has a lot of good principles, I liked the approach to the program and it was a good starting point for me at the time. I think it is still important that I mention that even though I enjoy eating the low carb way, I still understand the principle of CICO and follow a 1200cals/day diet; but the only way I have been able to sustain this amount of calories EVER was eating LCHF. Hope this helps. Good luck!

PS. I have been back for 3 days, lowering my carbs as much as I can. I am starting Atkin's induction on Thursday when I get my paycheck and can go by some more food! (:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    sarsather wrote: »
    Any tips, stories, advice? I am going to walmart in AM to purchase bacon, eggs, lots of meat, olive oil, coconut oil, cheeses, creams, broth, avacado and nuts. I have been struggling with carb binging and losing control whenever encounter sweets and sugars and I am very hopeful that this will be my save-all.

What about vegetables?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Add these to your KETO grocery list:
    spinach, kale, broccoli, yellow squash, snow peas, mushrooms, beans sprouts, olives, dill pickles, cucumbers, celery, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, Chia seeds.
    Yes, exactly.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Salt. When you cut carbs severely it really throws off your electrolytes which can cause you to feel sick, headachey and extra tired. You'll need 3000-5000mg of sodium per day so salt everything, drink broth, or even add salt to your water. Eat at least double the salt you consumed previously.

If you let low sodium go for too long you may need extra potassium and magnesium, too.

Best wishes. :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm not far behind you. I know i would not be able to do keto, but low carb (60-100g) is definitely doable. I've been reading everything i can on the low carb forum here.

Who knows... Once i get into the swing of low carb, I may be able to reduce to keto levels??
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I'm not far behind you. I know i would not be able to do keto, but low carb (60-100g) is definitely doable. I've been reading everything i can on the low carb forum here.

Who knows... Once i get into the swing of low carb, I may be able to reduce to keto levels??

And reading everything there is a GREAT place to start.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Some pitfalls to watch out for: increase salt (as previously mentioned), limit protein (cheese/high fat dairy/nuts/seeds have a good chunk of protein...don't treat them solely as a fat source; eliminating them may help relieve confusion & excessive number crunching), & yes, you still need to portion fat appropriately (throw in low kcal veggies if you need more food volume...I.e. Broccoli, cauliflower, etc.)
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    BTW if you get constipated then magnesium can help. Kale has a nice texture (a bit chewy) and a different leafy green to baby spinach, spinach, arugula and others. Good luck. To balance macros:
    If you do want just protein and fibre then nori seaweed is great. I eat it with prawns and no rice :)
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Salt. When you cut carbs severely it really throws off your electrolytes which can cause you to feel sick, headachey and extra tired. You'll need 3000-5000mg of sodium per day so salt everything, drink broth, or even add salt to your water. Eat at least double the salt you consumed previously.

If you let low sodium go for too long you may need extra potassium and magnesium, too.

Best wishes. :)

Like nvmom says! Sodium, magnesium and potassium needs should be well covered while you transition!