How are you losing weight? I would love some tips and buddies! :)

Options
Hey I'm Lauren. I would love some buddies to keep me motivated! I am studying full time. Obsessed with yoga & travel. Love being outdoors and in nature.

I tried out trying to cut out carbs but i found it really hard! Now I am trying counting my calories. Is anyone else doing the same? Want to be my friend?

Replies

• Athrinn
    Athrinn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Travelling is so much fun

I'm just counting calories too. I'd like to eat healthier but I'm taking it one step at a time by eating the same things, just in much lower quantities. I could use motivation buddies too so I'll add you!
  • MarcieAvaJ
    MarcieAvaJ Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello! Would love to join in the conversation
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I have been keeping an overall pretty strict meal schedule, which I log on here each day. I always make sure to try and stay under my calorie goal. Between my job, and my daily walks, I typically end up walking about five miles a day. So between those two factors, I have lost about 16 lbs since the start of September! Not as quick of a weight loss as I would like, but something is better than nothing. :)
  • joshuajdouce
    joshuajdouce Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am studying full time also and work part time. I started counting calories , then began counting and exercising, now currently I plan my meals everyday. Currently lost over 35 pounds add me if you like
  • joparekumi
    joparekumi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I hajust three days ago I cut out carbs completely but hoping to reintroduce in small amounts in two weeks. I could use some motivational buddies too. We can do this!
  • ssmetter
    ssmetter Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Can I join
    Try lowering the fat grams in your diet, it has helped me!
  • Lu_wallace06
    Lu_wallace06 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me!
  • Kait_Dee
    Kait_Dee Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'm a macro counter but started as a calorie counter. It's much easier than cutting specific nutrients out of your diet! Feel free to add me ☺️
  • paris102728
    paris102728 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey! I have around 10 kg to lose - I'm counting calories so motivating each I think is key ☺️ feel free to add me
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Hi :]

My advice to you would be - Keep it simple!

Despite what you may have heard or read, cutting carbs ISN'T necessary for weight loss. A huge chunk of my calorie allowance is made up of carbs and it hasn't stopped me from losing 34 lbs. Again, keep it simple - count your calories and take it one pound at a time. Eat at a sensible, realistic deficit (no restricting!) and there is no reason why you won't reach your goals. Good luck.
  • lizcason5
    lizcason5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey counting calories too. I've lost 3lb since Monday so far. Unfortunately it means no wine
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    My advice & it's working for me so far: Eating less & moving more. The "moving more" is mainly just resulting in feeling better, the weight loss is from "Eating less." The "light bulb" moment for me was getting a digital food scale and using it - I had been WAY underestimating how much I was really eating.

The final part is setting realistic goals. I started out with a very aggressive goal loss rate/pace. I was actually beating the goal, but was grumpy and miserable, and then started "binging" & then beating myself up for failing at an unsustainable & unrealistic goal. I upped by daily calorie goal (but still at a deficit), started succeeding more than failing, felt better (& felt better about myself), and continued to lose weight. Have to keep reminding myself that it's a marathon & not a sprint.

Welcome to MFP! This process really works (if you do :) )
  • plantedinpots
    plantedinpots Posts: 44 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    counting calories and aspiring to become 100% vegan. I'm 21, nearly 22, and would love, love, looove some friends around my age and goal--I'm looking to lose my last 20ish lbs. I feel as if I'm in desperate need of a few buddies, or I'll eventually just lose sight of how close I am to my goal and continue with my on and off attempts to reach my ideal size. I feel like I'm losing and gaining the same 5 lbs over and over again. Here to give and get support, would love to help anyone w/their journey. feel free to add me, please!!

as for tips: log correctly! keep track, don't be afraid to weigh yourself more than once a week, IMO. Also, be real w/yourself. Knowledge is power!
  • Here4Ponies
    Here4Ponies Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Lots of good tips here. Some I use:
    • digital food scale
    • log EVERYTHING, even if it means going over your allotted calories
    • move more - I rarely watch television anymore
  • laurenyogi
    laurenyogi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Some great tips in here thank you! o:) I think my first goal will be learning to log everything correctly and eating healthy. Health wise I have noticed my sodium is way over every day. I didn't even think I consumed many salty foods.
  • Aani15
    Aani15 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    For me checking a close tab on sugar has helped heaps. Some people find keeping fats or carbohydrates intake low. So find out what works for you. What works for others may not be helpful to you. Customising food and activity goals is key to success.
    Ultimately it comes down to Calories in , Calories out for weight loss. But food which provide fullness and daily macros are helpful in long term success.
  • Endless_Journey
    Endless_Journey Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    To be honest, cut out eating between meals. Try not to eat anything after 7pm. I drink a glass of water before each meal. Have one cheat day a week. Remain positive, remember your "body is a temple" so look after it. Your body is on loan. Enjoy life, be happy, there will ge good days and bad days. It's a journey, there is light at the end of the tunnel. Oh I took up cycling, so far have lost 46kg. I have had a cancer scare, waiting for final results. But hey life is Fricking awesome.
    Be lucky
  • mwilli9590
    mwilli9590 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Cutting carbs is so hard! I am on the same track as you!
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    They way i did it was:

1. Started to log and weigh all my food. ( in grams no cups and spoons but really weighing everything)
    2. Created this way a deficit
    3. After some time i started moving/exercising. And i kept on doing that till today :) At least 300 calories a day in exercise for 6 days a week.
    4. And i have patience, dont flip out over fluctuations. At what i like ( i eat high carb) only controlled the portions.

and here we are a year later still going strong and finding maintaining level :)

95069916.png