More protein

Options
I m not a meat eater more a veg&fruit person. I am struggling to eat enough protein. Anyone with ideas?

Replies

• FitCoachLinda
    FitCoachLinda Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of eggs and dairy, snack on salmon jerky, toss canned tuna or salmon into salads, add whey protein to smoothies... I'm still struggling to get enough, but may some of those ideas will work for you.
  • knelson095
    knelson095 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt has lots of protein. The Walmart brand I buy has 23g per serving (one cup) and only 120 calories for plain.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    If you're okay with 'drinking your calories', I'd suggest Matrix Whey Isolate.
    I struggle getting enough protein into my diet, so I drink one of these a day (117 calories a serving - which isn't bad at all) and it really boosts my protein intake (I think it's around 30g).
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you don't crave it, maybe you don't need more. How many grams of protein are you eating per day?
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese. You can mix in anything you like to make it sweet or savory. I also put in a tbsp. of protein powder. I like vanilla with a sprinkle of cinnamon mixed in.
  • Gun4a
    Gun4a Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I don't really eat red meat or chicken either but I do love fish. Quinoa has a decent amount of protein in it... Lots of eggs, cheese and a protein shake (sometimes two) a day.
  • tayloralanj
    tayloralanj Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Lentils!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Whey Protein Isolate - no brainer! :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,928 Member
    Options
    I'm ovo-lacto vegetarian & don't seem to have much difficulty getting 80-90 grams, sometimes more, most days. This is not huge, but is reasonably adequate for someone my size (5'5"). I don't normally eat protein bars, supplements, shakes, or vegetarian fake-meat products (not because I'm religious that way, but because I find regular food more tasty and satisfying). I do use a lot of milk products, which not everyone likes.

Frequent foods with larger amounts of protein: Beans/legumes of all types, greek yogurt, cheese, milk, eggs, cottage cheese, peanuts and peanut butter, dry roasted soybeans, edamame, tempeh.

For me, as forty years a vegetarian, the key to happy eating was to shift from the "one big protein per meal" mentality I had as a meat-eater, to trying to weave protein through most of what I eat. If I eat enough different protein sources, some of which may only contribute a few grams, I get to the total I want. But I don't eat foods I don't like, just to get protein - with experimentation, I've found things I do like eating.

So, if I want extra crunch on a salad, I may use a tablespoon of pepitas instead of croutons. I pick vegetables that have relatively more protein (broccoli, spinach, asparagus, cauliflower, others). I sometimes thicken or enrich "cream" soups with pureed white beans or include some pureed sunflower seeds. If I'm going to eat bread (not a huge fan), I get a type with relatively more protein. And so forth.

If you look at my diary (open to friends; friend me if you want to), I eat very few caloric things that don't have at least a little protein. Most everything makes a contribution.
  • gabynagy
    gabynagy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My goal is around 20% protein, currently on a good day i am around 15% (80g) but there are days when i hardly reach 40g. I love cottage cheese and eggs so probably that s a good direction.