Runner Survey: What's the hottest/coldest you've run in?

Options
Yesterday I came in from a mid-day run, only to find my Mother -in-Law in my house. :-( Bummer, I know! But I went inside anyways.

The temp was in the low 90's, and I was accused of being a little "mentally deficient" for running in such weather. I suppose I was accused of such simply because SHE would likely die in it, therefor that makes me foolish as well.

I've been running in the AZ summer (just like thousands of others here) for decades, and I know how to be smart about it when the temps really climb. So this leaves me wondering... What is the HOTTEST & COLDEST temps YOU have ever run in, and where?

Me?
Hottest: 107 (right before sundown here in AZ)
Coldest: in the teens (Boise, ID)

Replies

• RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    5K Turkey Trot 2010:

snowing, 10 degree weather.
  • downtownstazi
    downtownstazi Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hottest: 90's. (West Virginia in the middle of summer)
    Coldest: -15. (Alaska in the dead of winter)
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    yep.
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Hottest: 112 + 90% humidity (Oklahoma in the summer)
    Coldest: Probably in the single digits (Nothern Utah in the winter)
  • hellokatee
    hellokatee Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hottest: 102 degrees. I went on a five mile run that was really hilly and I ended up stopping to get sick about halfway through. I kept running until the end though, because I get a little psycho about "finishing" my runs.

Coldest: 17 degrees. All I can say is burrrrrr. :embarassed:
  • tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Coldest... -30F (Alaska) Yeah that was when I was young and fit!
    Warmest....umm 95 Montana
  • Andee08
    Andee08 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Soccer tournament when I was a kid...115 in Eastern Washington. 2 games per day, and I played the whole 90 minutes without fail! We trained by wearing our jogging suites during practice for 2 weeks in 80 degree weather. To be young again! I also used to enjoy jogging during Georgia summer heat at 2pm.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I did the Coldest this winter .. 9 degrees with a -2 wind chill
    The hottest was the other day ... 90 degrees with a 80% humidity and a "feels like temp" of 97
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Coldest was 9F I don't know what the wind chill was.

Hottest 90F +/- & rather humid

Pittsburgh, Pa
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Hottest was 33 degrees Celsius and coldest was -41 degrees Celsius... New Brunswick Canada :) Both runs were still worth it!!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I ran this winter in 15 but the winds were really blowing, so no idea what wind chill was. And summers are hot here, it's not unusual to run in 90's, I try not to run when it's over 100. I ran on Saturday for the first hot day of the year in 85 and my time was a little slower than I wanted, but I felt super when done and stayed perfectly hydrated. I admit... I had to take off my shirt and run in my sports bra from chaffing though.

And besides - what are MIL supposed to do but drive you insane :)
  • Arizona_JR
    Arizona_JR Posts: 275
    Options
    I've gotta give those of you who live in really humid states a ton of credit! That's gotta be brutal!

I've run in Hawaii, Fiji, & Tahiti, and end up drenched after only 30 minutes, and find that humidity quite irritating! I'll keep my "dry heat" thank you very much. :-D
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Hottest would be around now or when I first started running (July of last year). It was easily in the mid 90's without humidity the other day. Coldest isn't that cold since I live in Florida. About mid 30's.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I've gotta give those of you who live in really humid states a ton of credit! That's gotta be brutal!

I've run in Hawaii, Fiji, & Tahiti, and end up drenched after only 30 minutes, and find that humidity quite irritating! I'll keep my "dry heat" thank you very much. :-D

30 minutes? Try 1 mile. lol It doesn't matter if I'm doing a short or long run, after ~10 minutes I'm sweating bullets down here.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Hottest around 95 F with around 90% humidity in Panama (heat index was 135).
    Coldest around -20 F in Alaska.
  • awilburn
    awilburn Posts: 3
    Options
    Yesterday I ran at 5:00 in 100 degree weather...TERRIBLE IDEA...I really struggled.
    I have also run in the snow at around 15 degrees...I prefer the cold weather running!
  • brenott
    brenott Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I ran the 2011 Fort Collins New Years Day run, I believe the wind chill of -5. The upside was that the streets were snow-packed, which worked great for my knees.

Last summer I ran the Longest Day run. It was supposed to be on June 21 (longest day of the year...), but due to flooding (melting snow pack), it was postponed until July. It was a sunset run, very hot, very humid (for Colorado), the course was a hilly golf course. There were tons of bugs, which stuck to you, if you didn't happen to swallow them. I have no clue how hot it really was, but that was a miserable race. Quite a challenge.
  • Jamazurunner
    Jamazurunner Posts: 132
    Options
    Hottest: 110, right in the summertime in Tucson, Arizona. It was not fun, and I'm pretty sure I got some kind of heat exhaustion.
    Coldest: 15 degrees I think in Minnesota. I don't know, but I absolutely HATE snow.

Would you rather run in the heat or in the cold??
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    All I can say is that y'all are making me very grateful for living in soCal on the coast. I do understand your irritation with your mother in law though. My sister in law will comment on how "crazy" people are running in the middle of the day in high 70s weather. I almost sprain my eyeballs from rolling my eyes so hard.
  • Arizona_JR
    Arizona_JR Posts: 275
    Options
    Hottest: 110, right in the summertime in Tucson, Arizona. It was not fun, and I'm pretty sure I got some kind of heat exhaustion.
    Coldest: 15 degrees I think in Minnesota. I don't know, but I absolutely HATE snow.

Would you rather run in the heat or in the cold??

Honestly, I'd rather run in the heat, because once I find shade life is great, but in the snow, you gotta worry about that sweat freezing your bones!