Macros, how do you split them?

Options
I am really interested in learning more. So if you know anything about macros, please hit me with some knowledge. What's a good website to calculate macros? I want an idea on how to split them up based on my goals :)

Replies

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    Part of the problem with this is that each human body is a complex machine and what works for one will not work for another. Many people have incredibly different macro ratios.

That said MFP does an OK job, Scooby is also popular http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

but what are your goals?
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I do better with more protein even though this site continually resets me to 50% carbs.... No thanks! I don't always get my protein goal, but its fun trying :smiley: trial and error is how I figured out whast I like best.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    medlaura wrote: »
    I am really interested in learning more. So if you know anything about macros, please hit me with some knowledge. What's a good website to calculate macros? I want an idea on how to split them up based on my goals :)

The first post in this thread explains what macros are and offers sound suggestions on how to set yours up (and how to change them in MFP). Read down to where it says "Setting Macro Targets".
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Part of the problem with this is that each human body is a complex machine and what works for one will not work for another. Many people have incredibly different macro ratios.

That said MFP does an OK job, Scooby is also popular http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

but what are your goals?

Scoobys puts me at 1791 calories a day. I can barely eat1200. I do the best I can with it though.

Do what works for you.
  • nikesandbows
    nikesandbows Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I personally use www.iifym.com to set my macros. I love it :)

medlaura wrote: »

• mich19025
    mich19025 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals really. If you are just wanting to drop weight and concentrating on a scale number then its basically calories in vs calories out and you will lose weight that combines some fat, water, glycogen and muscle. I done that a few years ago and although I got to goal(9 stone), i was sort of just a smaller version of the shape I didn't like when i was fat. I gained a stone which wasn't too major as Im still a healthy weight. The difference now is that I ift weights and my goal is to lose as much fat as I can and keep muscle. I eat my bodyweight in protein (140g) and 0.4g fat per pound of body weight, the rest is carbs. My body fat % is lower than it was when i was a stone lighter and i'm a lot firmer, cellulite reduced as well. I'm starting to track again as of today so that I can lose around 10 pounds and hopefully keep as much muscle as I can. It gives you that 'toned' look if you have some muscle about you and also good for metabolism.
  • diyadiamonds
    diyadiamonds Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Use the IIFYM website. Gives you your TDEE, cutting, maintaining and bulking calories /macros depending on how how intense you plan to cut/bulk. It is a rough idea and a good place to start, you may have adjust calories to suit you. It's trial and error :)