Personal trainer turned me off and now I lack motivation!!!

Options
Hi there, I am feeling a little stuck. I have lost 32 pounds since my highest weight (25 of which were in the last 3 months). I joined the gym about a month ago and excersize anywhere from 4-6 days a week, log all my food, eat well, let myself drink on the weekends, etc. I'm doing it right this time and seeing results. I was SO excited to start lifting weights at the gym because I've heard so many good things about it toning your body and burning more calories than all of the cardio I'm doing. I got one free session with a trainer and thought "heck yes! I know I can't afford it on a monthly basis so I am going to use this session to its full advantage and ask him all about how to lift weights, what machines I should be using, how much weight, etc". Well, it turned out to be a bunch of crap. He literally wouldn't answer my questions. As soon as he started talking about me signing up and I said "I can't afford it but I'd like to know about....blah blah blah", he no longer wanted to help. It totally turned me off and even though I'm still working out, I want to get into a lifting routine but I feel like a lost puppy. I've researched hours of what to do but I'm super intimidated to try it out on my own at the gym in front of all the guys. Please- someone give me an example workout, support, encouragement, anything!!! Thanks for reading and good luck in everyone's journey!!!

Replies

• ixchel22
    ixchel22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Rachface13. Don't be discouraged. All those guys at the gym had to start somewhere and the trainer was just trying to make a buck. Have you looked through Pinterest? There's a ton weightlifting workouts. I found this article complete with nutrition information, and a three day weightlifting workout (scroll down, it's somewhere towards the middle). It also includes videos that show you proper form for each exercise. Hope it helps!

http://www.thebyrn.com/womens-beginner-3-day-weight-training-routine/
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats on your loss and it's wonderful you want to lift. Honestly, there's not THAT much he could have done for you in one session. He probably could have been more helpful, but usually you don't learn how to lift in one introduction training session.

You should start by reading and reviewing beginners strength programs: Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting for Women, Strong Curves, Strong Lifts 5x5. All of these programs explain the lifts, show pictures/videos. Give a look at the websites for Starting Strength and Strong Lifts and go from there. Continue asking questions here.
  • hrobjordan
    hrobjordan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Dude was being a dick! But I would say search YouTube! You will find tons of great workouts, plus it's almost like your being coached at the same time! I personally follow Chris Jones (Physiques of Greatness) and he puts out tons of videos, from eating, workout routines, and supplements. He also has a girl that trains with him so females can see what type of exercises she does. If you do decide to check him out *disclaimer* he does swear a lot but he has a lot of great info!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Ugh! Those type of trainers suck. I don't have a problem with them trying to sign you up because at the end of the day that's how they make a living but pushy sales techniques and not helping you because you aren't going to sign up is not okay. They shouldn't call it a free session if there's a catch. The good news is that he probably was a crappy trainer anyway. Good ones are generally pretty busy and sought after so wouldn't need to resort to that.

The key is just to start somewhere. Google a beginner program and just pick something and stick to it. As a beginner you'll see pretty good results with just about any program done consistently so don't let perfect get in the way of good. Look for something that's full body, 2-3 times a week, utilises mainly free weights and cables and includes mainly compound movements (working lots of muscles at the same time like squats, deadlifts, pull-ups, bench press, rows, over head press).

Here are some tips that might help you get over that initial fear:

- Once you find a program, spend a bit of time on you tube watching instructional videos and practicing the basic body weight movements at home.
    - Make a plan and stick to it. Put head phones in and execute plan. Pretend you know what you're doing.
    - Utilise progressions - starting with a basic versions of an exercise and building up (body weight squat, goblet squat, back squat). Again google is your friend
    - Start lighter and add weight slowly once you get comfortable with the movement (not too slowly though, a lot of females underestimate what they're capable of)
    - Most exercises can be modified to be done with dumbells. You might be more comfortable starting with dumbells so you can pick them up and find your own space. Eventually as you lift heavier weights and get more comfortable in the gym you can move to barbells
    - Bring a friend and workout together.
    - Be couretous, return your weights when finished, wipe down your benches, ask if people are finished etc.

Most importatntly, remember that you have as much right as any of those guys to be in any part of the gym
  • Rachface13
    Rachface13 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    All of your comments kick *kitten*! Thank you so much, this is just what I needed!!!
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Meh... Lots of crappy trainers. Lots of good ones too. Also plenty people who will teach you for free. Just start asking. Get on YouTube and find a routine and follow it. Check out Christine Salus workouts on YouTube. Awesome!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    My personal way is to take anyone through a basic workout, correct technique and execution to show them that I'm worth hiring for more sessions. They may not sign up then, but practically everyone I've given an introductory session to, eventually signs up for a couple of more sessions at the very least for guidance.
    Trainer could have done a better job, but realize that a free session will only give you minimal advice due to the fact that there's really no info on your strengths/weaknesses or ability.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Realistically, he could not have taught you how to lift in an hour. Not possible. I am guessing he was seeing this as an introductory session, where he would get to see what you can do, what you are interested in, and then start building a routine for you. One single session with a trainer, I can only see it working out if you were already following a plan and had a couple of very specific issues you need help with. I can see "I need you to work with me for one hour to help correct my squat form" being reasonable, but "I have never done this before, show me how to lift in one session", it does not sound doable.
    If you feel lost even after doing some research, are there classes at your gym? If there are classes including weights, then maybe attending a few would help you get some more confidence and understand the basics. Otherwise, choose light weights, start working on form in front of a mirror and be patient.
  • Rachface13
    Options
    Really great tips, guys. I appreciate it so much. Thank you!
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't let some stranger ruin my motivation if I were you. I never worked with a trainer. I just got some lifting books from the library (New Rules of Lifting, Starting Strength) and just started (my husband did eventually help me, but I had to start on my own). Most people at the gym are going to pay very little attention to what you are doing...unless it is something VERY unsafe or VERY awesome.

If you are really uncomfortable lifting around others, just try going at off-hours. My gym is least crowded around 9-11am...and then in the evenings after 6pm; and very early...around 4am.
  • Rachface13
    Options
    Really great tips, guys. I appreciate it so much. Thank you!
  • Rachface13
    Options
    Whoops, didn't mean to say that twice. But for real, I am going to use so much of what has been said here. It's the exact boost I needed to get that desire going again. Thank you!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    You could try Lyle McDonald's basic routine using machines if you are really intimidated. I know free weights are always suggested, but the machines aren't the least bit intimidating, so maybe start there if in a public gym? Then when you meet some nice folks, tell them you want to transition into free weights after researching that yourself, too :)

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/beginning-weight-training-part-4.html/

Seriously just read that and go! It's that easy :) If you need help with setup on any machine, everyone around you will help with that part. They are easier to figure out than treadmills, imho ;) Good luck!