Jawbone only gave me 334 cals for a 10 mile run?

Options
I ran 10 miles last night, and was disappointed to see this when I synced my band. I don't need to eat all of those calories, of course, but I'd like to not be in the red for going 100 calories over my typical daily allotment. I usually earn more than that for a 3 mile, 30 minute run. It also still took some calories away for inactivity, and I got 25,000 steps yesterday.

My diary is open if anyone wants to peek at my workouts. I switched yesterday and logged the run through MFP directly rather than through my UP app.

Am I setting something wrong?

Replies

• gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    It gave you: efrofwi1x8dl.jpg

which is pretty high but not crazy. 1400 for 2 hrs then 300 for the steps the rest of the day.

EDIT: I see you wanted the jaw to put the run in there automatically. It has no HR or GPS to know how hard/far you go. 10 miles is like 12000 steps or so.
  • janiep81
    janiep81 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    This is different than what I saw last night. I enter the run into my jawbone app, so I tell it what type of activity it was, what time I started and finished, and how hard I was working. Usually it will factor the total calories - for regular steps and for workouts - into the "Up Calorie Adjustment," so I've been adding my workouts to the app as like 3 calories or something just so I can remember what I did that day. Then I allow the app to handle the calories. The system has been working for me for months, but I recently updated my iOS and I fear something changed in the settings.

Last night I still had negative calories for the day's activities and then only 334 for the run. I don't want to hoard calories, but I do need a few extra after what's a long run for me.

Thanks!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Jawbone, last I knew, wasn't a calorie counter... it's an activity monitor. I suggest using it as such.
  • janiep81
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Jawbone, last I knew, wasn't a calorie counter... it's an activity monitor. I suggest using it as such.

That's fine, but the way I've been using it has been working for me through the last five months and 40 lbs. I'm primarily looking for help understanding what has changed about the method that has been consistently reliable for me.
  • carmeng808
    carmeng808 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree! It's very inconsistent, and when using it with MFP, mine has started taking AWAY calories for movement! This morning I woke up, it hadn't recorded any sleep but had -128 calories for me taking 98 steps. Very odd. I'm disappointed in the product honestly because if I'm walking pushing a stroller (holding the handle) it doesn't record that and I get the vibration to remind me to move. While I'm hiking hills pushing a stroller!!?
  • oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Not familiar with Jawbone but it sounds like it's way off. Depending on your pace when you run will make a difference though. My nike app is very close to what mfp says for running. I run at about a 7.0mph pace when I run and for a 10k run, it tells me I've burnt about 680 calories and for a half marathon it tells me I've burnt about 1500 calories. Now a 10 mile run is only 3 miles shorter than a half marathon so depending on your pace you should burn at least 800 calories doing a 10 mile. 334 is way off unless your walking. It is 10 miles though right not 10 Kilometers?
  • janiep81
    Options
    oilphins wrote: »
    Not familiar with Jawbone but it sounds like it's way off. Depending on your pace when you run will make a difference though. My nike app is very close to what mfp says for running. I run at about a 7.0mph pace when I run and for a 10k run, it tells me I've burnt about 680 calories and for a half marathon it tells me I've burnt about 1500 calories. Now a 10 mile run is only 3 miles shorter than a half marathon so depending on your pace you should burn at least 800 calories doing a 10 mile. 334 is way off unless your walking. It is 10 miles though right not 10 Kilometers?

Correct. Ten miles. I'm two and a half weeks out from a half marathon.

• oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Good for you, good luck on your run and I would log it for at least 800 calories, maybe a bit more.
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I agree! It's very inconsistent, and when using it with MFP, mine has started taking AWAY calories for movement! This morning I woke up, it hadn't recorded any sleep but had -128 calories for me taking 98 steps. Very odd.

You need to disable negative calorie adjustment in MFP. That will stop it subtracting calories from your allowance

I've got a FitBit, but it's the same principle, if I synch before going to bed after midnight, it will assume I'm only going to do the number of steps I did between midnight and bedtime in the whole day. It will then minus my calorie allowance for the whole of the next day until it re-synchs with the new data the following evening.