Feeling Discouraged..if it's not one thing it's another. Fiber?

Options
Verity1111
Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
edited November 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I have dangerously low vitamin D levels, like single digits when they test me and so I need to supplement and just havent been. Was looking into that...well also have trouble reaching my protein goal because I'm a vegetarian. Now I just found out with tracking that I often get 6, yes 6 grams of fiber per day. How can I fix this? I hate cereal, honestly. I don't eat much of any of the high fiber foods, which explains a lot. What does FIber One taste like? It seems I may have to snack on cereal whether I like it or not. I'm considering Kashi Go Lean Berry Crumble. If you've tried it, let me know if you liked it or how it tastes and if you know of other ideas, please let me know. I am constantly sick and fatigued. I really need help bettering my diet.

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Quest bars have a bunch of fiber!
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Both protein and fiber can be had in lots of types of beans. If you don't like warm beans, find something and make bean dip. Made from the bag lentils have around 10 grams of each for 1/4 cup of dry (unprepared) beans. On the plus side, they are also a really great deal for nutritional purposes, with a bag having 130 or so grams of protein and fiber for $1.50 or so. Cheap nutrition right there!

I'm not sure if I've tried the Berry Crumble, but most Kashi stuff I've tried is fairly good. I had a new one I tried a while back... something with cinnamon, and it was fairly high in fiber, decent on protein, and good.
  • cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I eat a lot of beans! You can make burrito bowls or a soup or so much other stuff. There's a thread floating around that is filled with recipes that use black beans (I'll try to find it). You can also get Fiber One bars. There are granloa bars, cheesecake bars, streusel bars, brownies, and there are are also Fiber One protein bars. I usually eat at least a single Fiber One product as a dessert, if not 2. I love the way they taste. Also, I eat quite a bit of oatmeal (which I guess is a "hot cereal" technically).

Looking at your protein goal, wow. I don't think I could eat that much protein in a day, even with meat. My biggest protein sources are dairy products. Cheese, greek yogurt, milk. I usually have a snack of greek yogurt and a cheese stick, which gets me 20 g of protein for only 160 calories.

Found the black bean recipe thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/216285/whats-your-favorite-recipe-with-black-beans/p1
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Thank you all! I can't stand any protein bars except the Aldi ones Lol. I can hit my protein goal if I actually try, but I stopped because it was difficult and this girl I spoke to who's successful with her fitness and weight loss told me not to worry about it until I'm closer to my goal weight. I definitely like beans. I guess Im just not sure what to do with them lol Burritos is about all I know. I might try to make a bean barley soup? I used to love that at a restaurant near us, only it isn't vegetarian so I will have to make my own type I will check out that thread because right now black beans are the only ones I have in the house and I have a giant can! lol. I was supposed to make black bean burgers but I guess Ive been lazy or just busy with my kids. Maybe I will try that on Thursday. Thank you or all the ideas and information! I just ordered the cereal on Amazon and it's supposed to be here today because they have a new same day delivery feature for prime members. I ordered my vitamin D3 too so hopefully I will feel better soon and my immune system won't be so screwed up.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    I have dangerously low vitamin D levels, like single digits when they test me and so I need to supplement and just havent been. Was looking into that...well also have trouble reaching my protein goal because I'm a vegetarian. Now I just found out with tracking that I often get 6, yes 6 grams of fiber per day. How can I fix this? I hate cereal, honestly. I don't eat much of any of the high fiber foods, which explains a lot. What does FIber One taste like? It seems I may have to snack on cereal whether I like it or not. I'm considering Kashi Go Lean Berry Crumble. If you've tried it, let me know if you liked it or how it tastes and if you know of other ideas, please let me know. I am constantly sick and fatigued. I really need help bettering my diet.

How can a vegetarian not eat enough fiber? Are you sure you are tracking correctly? What are you eating usually?
  • LKArgh
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Ok, saw your diary is open. If I were you, I would seriously rethink completely about eating habits. Yes, as you have seen many times here and I am sure others will reiterate, calories matter for weight loss. But, as you are finding out, a diet mostly based on "junk" food, means you are not getting the nutrients your body needs. I think you should cut back a lot on the processed food, treats and bread-y stuff, and work a lot of less processed foods into your meals: more vegetables, fruit, whole grains, beans. I admit when I see vegetarian, this is not what I have in mind. You do not need protein bars or one more kind of prepackaged treat to add, you need less fast food, less calorie-dense food, more nutrient-dense food .
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I have been delighted to discover how much fiber is in peas - regular green peas - even canned or frozen. They are also very low in calories, so it is easy to fit a couple of servings in with a hot meal.

I have started to add a fiber power to my morning and lunch coffee - which gets me an extra 6 grams. It doesnt have a taste so it is any easy way to get some extra in.

I am challenging myself to try to hit my fiber goals every day in November.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Dairy products have protein and many milks have extra D added to them because the whole damn country has issues with D, lol.

Take your D supplements. Nobody knows the feeling of hating swallowing pills more than me, but if D is all you have to take, just take it. It's not that hard. For most people, just swallowing the pills solves the problem! If you have immune diseases, that can make it harder to keep the D where it should be, but the doctors will know that and will work with you. If you live in a place where it is possible, getting some sunlight every day might help. Ask the docs.

If you talk to old people or sick people (or me), they will tell you (go on and on about it, really) that having to take bunches of pills is pain in the butt. Take calcium five times a day, without any fiber, but don't take it for four hours before or after this M, which must be taken on an empty stomach...and don't eat for one hour before or after you take M pill. Take P and Q, be sure to take them with food and don't take them (or any food) within two hours on either side of X, which is best taken at night but cannot be taken with M, which is also best taken at night (or maybe in the morning, we aren't sure.) Take the vitamins, with food to avoid being sick, but not within four hours before or after M and not within two hours of X...and take them with fat, but be sure not to eat very much fat. Also, if you could manage to wake up in the middle of the night to take more calcium, that would be great, but if you cannot go back to sleep, then don't wake up, but then you need to begin the calcium first thing in the morning, but you cannot take it because you have to take M when you get up since you cannot take it at night with X. We know that it's not possible to follow all the rules, but they're all important and have to be followed. Thanks and have a good day!

Did you skip that paragraph because it was too confusing? Have trouble following all that? Try living it. If all you have to take is D, just suck it up, swallow the pill, and be glad your whole life doesn't revolve around the timing of food and pills.

Plenty of fruits and veggies have lots of fiber. In fact, if you're eating a lot of them, you will get your fiber without even trying. I'm over the fiber goal daily and don't even work on it because the fruits and veggies take care of it. Raspberries have a lot of fiber. If you eat a wide variety (different kinds and different colors) of fruits and veggies, you'll go a long way toward hitting all your diet goals and will surely hit the fiber one.

For protein, there is dairy (low-fat or no-fat if you're watching your calories), eggs, fish (if you eat fish), tofu, tempeh, meat substitutes like Quorn, veggie burgers, edamame and other other veggies that have protein.
  • LKArgh
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Dairy products have protein and many milks have extra D added to them because the whole damn country has issues with D, lol.

Take your D supplements. Nobody knows the feeling of hating swallowing pills more than me, but if D is all you have to take, just take it. It's not that hard. For most people, just swallowing the pills solves the problem!

If you talk to old people or sick people (or me), they will tell you (go on and on about it, really) that having to take bunches of pills is pain in the butt. Take calcium five times a day, but don't take it for four hours before or after this M, which must he taken on an empty stomach...and don't eat for one hour before or after you take M pill. Take P and Q, be sure to take them with food and don't take them (or any food) within two hours on either side of X, which is best taken at night but cannot be taken with M, which is also best taken at night (or maybe in the morning, we aren't sure.) Take the vitamins, with food to avoid being sick, but not within four hours before or after M and not within two hours of X...and take them with fat, but be sure not to eat very much fat. Also, if you could manage to wake up in the middle of the night to take more calcium, that would be great, but if you cannot go back to sleep, then don't wake up, but then you need to begin the calcium first thing in the morning, but you cannot take it because you have to take M when you get up since you cannot take it at night with X. We know that it's not possible to follow all the rules, but they're all important and have to be followed. Thanks and have a good day!

Did you skip that paragraph because it was too confusing? Have trouble following all that? Try living it. If all you have to take is D, just suck it up, swallow the pill, and be glad your whole life doesn't revolve around the timing of food and pills.

Plenty of fruits and veggies have lots of fiber. In fact, if you're eating a lot of them, you will get your fiber without even trying. I'm over the fiber goal daily and don't even work on it because the fruits and veggies take care of it. Raspberries have a lot of fiber. If you eat a wide variety (different kinds and different colors) of fruits and veggies, you'll go a long way toward hitting all your diet goals and will surely hit the fiber one.

For protein, there is dairy (low-fat or no-fat if you're watching your calories), eggs, fish (if you eat fish), tofu, tempeh, meat substitutes like Quorn, veggie burgers, edamame and other other veggies that have protein.

I feel your pain.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

Take your D supplements. Nobody knows the feeling of hating swallowing pills more than me, but if D is all you have to take, just take it. It's not that hard. For most people, just swallowing the pills solves the problem!

If you talk to old people or sick people (or me), they will tell you (go on and on about it, really) that having to take bunches of pills is pain in the butt. Take calcium five times a day, but don't take it for four hours before or after this M, which must he taken on an empty stomach...and don't eat for one hour before or after you take M pill. Take P and Q, be sure to take them with food and don't take them (or any food) within two hours on either side of X, which is best taken at night but cannot be taken with M, which is also best taken at night (or maybe in the morning, we aren't sure.) Take the vitamins, with food to avoid being sick, but not within four hours before or after M and not within two hours of X...and take them with fat, but be sure not to eat very much fat. Also, if you could manage to wake up in the middle of the night to take more calcium, that would be great, but if you cannot go back to sleep, then don't wake up, but then you need to begin the calcium first thing in the morning, but you cannot take it because you have to take M when you get up since you cannot take it at night with X. We know that it's not possible to follow all the rules, but they're all important and have to be followed. Thanks and have a good day!

I feel your pain.
    It's so crazy. But there are so many of us doing this. When it first started getting to be a pain in the butt, I told my elderly aunt about it and she started going on about her life revolving around pills and what to eat (or not) with them. Then I talked to more people.

There are a LOT of us doing it. :)

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Raspberries are a good fibre source and also flaxseeds.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Where are the fruit and veggies? That's your problem right there. Stop eating pizza 2 or 3x a day and have some protein and veggies. Ditch one of your snacks for an apple. Problem solved.

I honestly can't wrap my head around a vegetarian who eats pizza all the time but doesn't eat veggies.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Ok, saw your diary is open. If I were you, I would seriously rethink completely about eating habits. Yes, as you have seen many times here and I am sure others will reiterate, calories matter for weight loss. But, as you are finding out, a diet mostly based on "junk" food, means you are not getting the nutrients your body needs. I think you should cut back a lot on the processed food, treats and bread-y stuff, and work a lot of less processed foods into your meals: more vegetables, fruit, whole grains, beans. I admit when I see vegetarian, this is not what I have in mind. You do not need protein bars or one more kind of prepackaged treat to add, you need less fast food, less calorie-dense food, more nutrient-dense food .
    I don''t need to do a damn thing honestly. Id idnt ask for your opinion on if Im eating "junk" food. I asked what had fiber in it. But thanks for your judghmental opinion that I didnt ask for. My diary is MUCH better than I used to eat and this is fresh food compared to what I ate before which was literally no vegetables or fresh food at all, just microwaved food. I have to make meals for 4 people besides myself and they all eat different things. Im not spending all day making myself a fresh meal too. I dont like most vegetables and Im not going to live on lettuce. The question was about fiber. So yeah, if I want more fast food that's really my business. I'm losing weight so that's not really what I asked you.

• Verity1111
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Where are the fruit and veggies? That's your problem right there. Stop eating pizza 2 or 3x a day and have some protein and veggies. Ditch one of your snacks for an apple. Problem solved.

I honestly can't wrap my head around a vegetarian who eats pizza all the time but doesn't eat veggies.

I dont track my vegetables usually, but I didnt actual l ask that. But, again youre being discouraging and making me want to quit not helping. I asked for what is a good source of fiber. Now, I do eat a lot of pizza, why? Because it's delicious and I have nothing else. Simple. Now, I eat what I like. I've seen much worse diets on here than mine with people who lift and they seem just fine so I really dont care about anyone who is obsessed with clean eatings opinion. I believe in nutrition labels not that all food has to be "fresh". All I wanted was high fiber foods. We live on $300 for 5 people per month and that pizza was often stole off my kids plates because we have no money sometimes and I paid for my vitamin D and pills with AMAZON credit that I had. We don't have a lot of food in the house and we are sometimes lucky to eat AT ALL. SO please mind your business unless someone asks because you have zero idea.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Raspberries are a good fibre source and also flaxseeds.

I love raspberries! Thank you. I've never tried flaxseed. :)
  • Verity1111
    edited November 2015
    Options
    *** drink plenty of fluids when eating high fiber cereals or you could make a problem worse
    not a snack to just grab
    Fiber One cereal tastes like twigs from the ground - people do not eat this because it's super YUMMY!!!
    they buy it because it has 50% of daily fiber in a little tiny serving

I was thinking that, but I have this thing where I will probably vomit if I try to force feed myself something THAT bad lol I ordered kashi instead. A bit more calories, but probably more tasty. Thank you. All I drink is pretty much water. I drink a lot of it so I'm sure I'll be fine. I usually have two 16.9oz bottles everytime I eat a meal plus one with any snack plus extra.
  • Verity1111
    edited November 2015
    Options

Take your D supplements. Nobody knows the feeling of hating swallowing pills more than me, but if D is all you have to take, just take it. It's not that hard. For most people, just swallowing the pills solves the problem! If you have immune diseases, that can make it harder to keep the D where it should be, but the doctors will know that and will work with you. If you live in a place where it is possible, getting some sunlight every day might help. Ask the docs.

If you talk to old people or sick people (or me), they will tell you (go on and on about it, really) that having to take bunches of pills is pain in the butt. Take calcium five times a day, without any fiber, but don't take it for four hours before or after this M, which must be taken on an empty stomach...and don't eat for one hour before or after you take M pill. Take P and Q, be sure to take them with food and don't take them (or any food) within two hours on either side of X, which is best taken at night but cannot be taken with M, which is also best taken at night (or maybe in the morning, we aren't sure.) Take the vitamins, with food to avoid being sick, but not within four hours before or after M and not within two hours of X...and take them with fat, but be sure not to eat very much fat. Also, if you could manage to wake up in the middle of the night to take more calcium, that would be great, but if you cannot go back to sleep, then don't wake up, but then you need to begin the calcium first thing in the morning, but you cannot take it because you have to take M when you get up since you cannot take it at night with X. We know that it's not possible to follow all the rules, but they're all important and have to be followed. Thanks and have a good day!

Thank you for everything there. First of all, for all these judgmental people to know, I have 3 kids under 5 and my boyfriend and I are very low income and one of my children has nonverbal autism and no coverage. We get food stamps and Im working with $300 for 5 people per month. Sometimes we almost starve so the kids are well fed. I'm sick of people going on about how many veggies I eat. I don't log them all but I cant AFFORD to be eating 5 giant plates of vegetables per day. Not to you, but to others. You were polite, so not you. Also, all that frozen pizza? A lot of it was stole off my kids leftovers because I had no other food. Now, I love raspberries. lol. I honestly didn't take my VItamin D because I am always worried about my partner and my kids. I felt so guilty spending the money on my Vitamin D today. It was $36 for a year supply, but I know if I don't buy it all now I won't buy it later. I don't feel like it's really worth the money or like I'm worth the money, I guess. We need a lot of other things and I tend to just put my needs last.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    what are you eating as a vegetarian that you aren't getting fiber? most vegetarians i know eat a lot of veg and fruit and legumes, lentils, oats, etc...

and taking a little vitamin D supplement really isn't a big deal...
  • LKArgh
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    I don''t need to do a damn thing honestly. Id idnt ask for your opinion on if Im eating "junk" food. I asked what had fiber in it. But thanks for your judghmental opinion that I didnt ask for. My diary is MUCH better than I used to eat and this is fresh food compared to what I ate before which was literally no vegetables or fresh food at all, just microwaved food. I have to make meals for 4 people besides myself and they all eat different things. Im not spending all day making myself a fresh meal too. I dont like most vegetables and Im not going to live on lettuce. The question was about fiber. So yeah, if I want more fast food that's really my business. I'm losing weight so that's not really what I asked you.

Your food choices are resulting in deficiencies in basic nutrients. I have no doubt you are losing weight - weight is about calories. Nutrition is more than calories though. And your nutrition is not balanced, it is basically pizza and treats based. If you are also cooking for family, then why not try to eat the same things as they do and portion them according to your calories, or replace wherever needed (e.g. if they are having meat?).
    You made a post asking how to eat more fiber: the common sense answer is to replace some of all this bread and pizza with food that is fiber rich. You asked for fiber rich food ideas: fruit, vegetables, whole grains, beans, all suitable for a vegetarian. Why this upsets you, I have no idea.